Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » The Poet as Bureaucrat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Poet as Bureaucrat
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC wrote a political poem. It's worth reading, if you ask me.

If you don't want to read the essay, the poem is at the bottom.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The essay was not bad eithe'r if you care about poetry. If you hate poetry it might help to explain why.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I think about it that critique is true for modern art. (It's not acceptable to the art community if it is intelligible by normal people)
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love poetry, but can't stand Gioia's work. It always reads to me like he's formed the personal opinion that poetry should sound formal but isn't quite sure how to pull it off -- stiff, awkward, and struggling for depth. His tone is stuffy and classicist without being classical; his subjects are generally pretty trite, although they usually contain one decent metaphor. To be perfectly frank, I think there are at least three people on this forum who are better poets.

I don't get the sense with Gioia's poetry that he's having any fun; I sense that he's trying to mean something. And while it's great for a poem to mean things, it's deadly for a poem to sound like it's trying.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about to disagree, Tom, but I can't think of any good poems that try to mean something! All the stuff I like is subtle and deep without trying.
Though, I admit to being completely ignorant of modern poets - other than Shel Silverstein, of course [Wink]

Looking up his wiki page, here's an interesting tidbit: Silverstein was an accomplished song writer. He won a Grammy for writing "A boy named Sue" for Johnny Cash.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC is really running with this political poetry thing. His latest essay, "Hillary under fire," contains another one. This one is a bit longer and more pointed.

I have to hand it to him - he actually had a valid point in that putting an essay in the form of a poem - or rhyme, if you prefer - can really enhance the message.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colin, I think I heard somewhere that Shel was also a racy cartoonist, and that this affected his ability to sell the chilren's books, which were fantastic.

I mean, remember the Giving Tree? I've read a thousand books in between and I could probably near-quote that book.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met Shel's mother in Chicago back in the 70s. She worked in a thriftstore for the blind, wore an awful old-woman wig, and spoke adoringly of her son.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard he was into the swinger free love 70's thing, too... Too cool!
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shel was mostly gay, I understand.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friends mom passed herself around his commune for a few months around 1970. He took a few turns, according to her.

[ April 10, 2008, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Yeah, they were pushing the envelope back then. Naivete was the new wisdom fore awhile. Attempts to return to Eden invited the return of both the Snake and the Apple. The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil proved as stout as ever.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page