Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » Whale Wars...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whale Wars...
Toren
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Toren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted in a long time(or very much in the past for that matter), but I need some help and I know I can find it here.
Some of you may have seen this show on Animal Planet, "Whale Wars" is the name. I've been watching it and have been left hanging on a few details. I want to know what exactly the International Whaling Commission has to say about the whaling these Japanese fleets are doing. From what I can tell it's all legal but there is still a lot of controversy about it. Are these whales endangered? What kind of whales are the fleets taking? Has there been any attempt to take the Japanese side of the story into account? Also, could the actions taken by the Sea Sheppard and her crew be considered piracy? If so would they face the ramifications? I would really appreciate a rundown from both sides and another from a non bias source. I want the whole picture. Thank you!

P.S. I hope I'm in the right forum...

[ November 17, 2008, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Toren ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, whaling was wonderful when women worked wistfully. Whoa! W words whelm we.

^spastic response to noticing that "World Watch" and "Whale Wars" all start with "w".

Anyway, maybe you could start here?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great blog to get the "Japanese perspective" on whaling and a host of other political issues is AMPONTAN. The writer is American-born but has lived in Japan for over 20 years and is a fluent speaker.

My own brief rundown: Japan is not currently hunting any endangered species, and its activities are legal. Japan gets picked on a lot for whaling - and other issues like supposed "historical revisionism" and ongoing wartime reparations claims for two reasons:

1. The other countries have an agenda - like access to fishing waters, territorial claims, UN seats, wanting to squeeze Japan for more foreign aid, and a whole host of other things, and

2. They find they can get the best results by exploiting areas and issues where Japan gets the least sympathy from the world at large. Japan profound sense of national shame since the end of WW2, a sense amongst many of its people that they they can never be sorry enough, never apologize enough, will always be living down the past, leaves them unwilling to fight back on the stage of world opinion because they don't want to seem to beligerent. Japan is a poster-child for why being too polite and too nice in the world of international relations gets you screwed. They have become a magnet for abuse.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you, Kid, but at the same time... they didn't HAVE to inter Kojo's 12 in the National Memorial. And wossname, rock star, Junichiro Kuizomi - he didn't have to stick it to everyone by attending service there.

This doesn't mean Japan deserves all or most of the passive-aggressive craps it gets from China and SK, but it bears mentioning.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
hear you, Kid, but at the same time... they didn't HAVE to inter Kojo's 12 in the National Memorial. And wossname, rock star, Junichiro Kuizomi - he didn't have to stick it to everyone by attending service there.

He didn't *not* have to either. It's not a war memorial for criminals and mass murderers. It's a memorial for everybody who ever fought for Japan, ever, including non-Japanese. That's what it would have been when Koizumi visited, whether the 12 (14, I think, actually) were there or not.

I don't know why they put those dudes in it in the 70's. But frankly, who doesn't have a few completely vile human beings in their national war memorial? We got 'em. Russia got 'em. China got 'em. You get my point. Why is Japan the only country who has to check with the rest of the planet before they go visit their own effing war memorial? Well, they don't actually...and in fact most of East Asia doesn't care in the least, except for a very small club of blowhards.

Of course, that doesn't make it diplomatically wise to inflame the already inflammable. But I'll leave that to Japan to work out as best it sees fit. Life is too short, and this topic makes me go all apoplectic anyway.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally caught a few episodes of this show. Unbelievable. These guys are really asking for trouble.

They're throwing stink bombs made of glass bottles filled with butyric acid. Anyone ever smell butyric acid before? It's overwhelming. Just a few drops can clear your house for days. It's bad stuff. You could shut down a ship with them for sure. This could easily be defined as a terrorist act. It certainly would be if you dropped one of these of the floor of a stock exchange.

Last year, 2 crew members boarded the Japanese whaling vessel Yushin Maru. Paul Watson (the dumbass Captain) stated that it was his intention to create an international incident through the boarding and expected detainment of the crew. For those of you that have never been to sea, boarding a vessel like this is a *very* big deal. The Japanese could have repelled boarders with whatever means they deemed necessary. This was an enormous risk and amazingly stupid thing to do.

So this moron, Watson, at one point is wearing a bullet proof vest and is shown reaching inside his jacket and bullet-proof vest and remarking "I've been hit." Back inside the bridge of the ship, a metal fragment is found inside the vest. Yeah, right.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard this show features hilariously stupid and incompetent eco-terrorists. Did you get any chuckles out of it?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page