Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » The Horse Ain't Dead, Keep on Flogging

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Horse Ain't Dead, Keep on Flogging
Vérité
Member # 6603

- posted      Profile for Vérité   Email Vérité       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regard to the "The Horse Ain't Dead, Keep on Flogging," piece, I recently wrote a roughly analogous piece about a radical sex education program we're facing here in Helena, Montana ( http://constitutionclub.org/2010/09/15/helena-sex-ed-curriculum-barely-revised/ ) which is going forward very much against popular consensus. I'm a long-time fan, a former Christian school teacher, and a current student pursuing a teaching credential (after fifteen years of teaching and home schooling). I'd love to discuss the topic of educational propoganda in America.

God bless America!

Edited by OrneryMod to make the link work. Always good to have another teacher here.

[ September 20, 2010, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vérité
Member # 6603

- posted      Profile for Vérité   Email Vérité       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear DD,
I knew Arnold Jackson. And you, sir, are no Arnold Jackson! (Hey, you started down the " Diff'rent Strokes" route...)

I was actually addressing OSC with that comment. By your member number and mine, I see that I'm suffering from delusions thinking he would be the first to respond.

Had Gary Coleman lived, I doubt he would have been familiar with progressivism , or the impact of its agenda on educational policy. Since Gary and Shannon weren't been married long enough to have kids, I can't see how education would have personally mattered to him.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I noted a news report that said about two out of three students in American public schools pass through some kind of a sex education program. From what I have read these vary widely, and I am skeptical that any one version is appropriate for all school districts. Also whether the programs have much effect on student knowledge or behavior is doubtful. For the most part, students behave much like their parents, even if values slowly shift over the generations.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link to the OSC essay.

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2010-02-21-1.html

(In case anyone else, like me, failed to make the connection at first.)

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hobsen:
Recently I noted a news report that said about two out of three students in American public schools pass through some kind of a sex education program. From what I have read these vary widely, and I am skeptical that any one version is appropriate for all school districts. Also whether the programs have much effect on student knowledge or behavior is doubtful. For the most part, students behave much like their parents, even if values slowly shift over the generations.

Personally I'm more skeptical about whether local community standards should be a concern. Community standards don't change relative effectiveness of different forms of contraception, they don't change the relative risks of different kind of sexual activity, and they don't change the fact that roughly the same proportion of kids everywhere are going to grow up attracted to the same sex. Sex education should arm students with as much potentially useful information as possible, it shouldn't hand out a list of selected highlights that's been bowldlerised by moral crusaders who disapprove of sex toys or who desperately hope that little Timmy will grow up straight as long as nobody tells him what a homosexual is.

[ September 26, 2010, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Rallan ]

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page