Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » New World Watch on Video Games

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New World Watch on Video Games
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is really good.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boriquajake
Member # 5248

- posted      Profile for boriquajake   Email boriquajake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a tuff subject, and I think the writer makes some excellent points about demanding scholarly rigor. I do have to say, that I disagree with the idea that jocks and cool kids (as if those breakfast club cliches actually exist) are what drive the nerds to violence.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, the author of the quoted essay is Geoff Card, OSC's son and a professional game designer.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boriquajake
Member # 5248

- posted      Profile for boriquajake   Email boriquajake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the thing, let's say, for the sake of argument, we stipulate that certain types of video games are capable of provoking temporary increases in aggressive feelings and behavior; even then we are still worlds away from connecting that behavior to the sort of pathology that can lead to thoughtfully planned out mass murder.

Anyone who has ever played competitive sports, or read the battle descriptions in Tolkien, for that matter, is familiar with the temporary rush of testosterone and aggression that can accompany stirring oratory or vivid storytelling. From time immemorial leaders of all sorts have tapped in to the human propensity to respond to "rah rah" speeches and heroic myths. I think we can safely say that it is possible to use the sort of temporary aggressiveness we are talking about to incite a receptive mob to violence, or get a tentative man-at-arms to start towards the enemy shield wall, or even to inspire an excited 17 year-old to throw his body in front of an angry opposing linebacker. However, I have my doubts that there is any evidence forthcoming that the same impulses are in any way related to murder in cold blood.

I am not saying that repeated exposure to violent imagery will never be linked in any degree towards violent behavior. What I am saying is that adrenaline and testosterone wear off rather quickly in the face of reality. What remains is the character of the individual.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
FYI, the author of the quoted essay is Geoff Card, OSC's son and a professional game designer.

Well, that explains why OSC found and commented on a blog that has almost no content.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He misses the bigger issue with the study in that it actively creates a strawman argument by looking at short term effects on violence.

I don't think any person rationally making an argument about violent games promoting violece would suggest that it's a direct relationship of "play the game and then go do something violent" but rather than violent games (and violent media and cultural institutions in general) serve over the long term to condition people to tolerate higher levels of violence bothi societally and in their own decisions and behavior.

Effective studies wouldn't really be about behavior after playing this game or that game, but rather a long term survey of exposure to violent camges, movies, etc... and whether people with different levels of total exposure are more likely to be permissinve of others chossing violent solutions or even more quick to resort to violent alternatives to a variety of situations.

So it's not "are you more likely to hit someone after playing this game or that game" but rather things along the line of: "After years of playing this kind of game, are you more likely to choose to opt for a physical fight to deal with a bully that's trying to take your lunch money?"

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we in the US have more of these violent games than other people in the developed world?
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedVW on a Laptop
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for RedVW on a Laptop   Email RedVW on a Laptop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect nations with real bandwidth likely have more. Ie South Korea.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page