Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » Unlikely events

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unlikely events
Bud Martin
Member # 6796

- posted      Profile for Bud Martin   Email Bud Martin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Alabama and I remember the strange and bizarre Wallace family. Thank goodness they're gone. I really appreciated this piece on the possible end of democracy. I'm still wondering if the news people will come to their senses and speak out against this administration or will they be muzzled by the media moguls that have their biased agenda. What ever happened to objective news and the pretense of fair play.

Bottom Line: I blame Lawyers for everything because they learn to lie legally. Then they become Judges and Lie professionally above the law. Finally they become politicians and learn to love the lies and adjudicate what the meaning of the word "IS" is! The Truth has been stamped out in this process almost entirely!

I wonder if WE the people have what it takes to start another revolution! I'm waiting to see what happens to these scandals; if Holder is in office in 6 months, then it might be time to start the next revolution. I wish I was 40 years younger!

Posts: 367 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC is not sane on the topic of Obama.

quote:
Keep in mind that he already governs unconstitutionally, with czars and without a budget. He bullies his opponents, and ignores crimes by his own team. He treats Congress with contempt -- both Republicans and Democrats.
In fact, Obama treats his opponents timidly. He overstated and overreacted to the crimes by the IRS, recently. He lets Congress defy him.

That's a lot of counter-reality for such a short snippet.

The conclusion is nice:

quote:
But it sure sounds plausible, doesn't it? Because, like a good fiction writer, I made sure this scenario fit the facts we already have -- the way Obama already acts, the way his supporters act, and the way dictators have come to power in republics in the past.

...yeah...no. I guess it fits the way extreme right wingers like to portray Obama for political purposes, though.

[ June 09, 2013, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud Martin
Member # 6796

- posted      Profile for Bud Martin   Email Bud Martin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm insane now too.

I happen to think that the power behind Obama is the scary part of this equation. It wasn't enough that they funded all of those liberal groups and bought and paid for Union support and put millions upon millions of unemployed people on permanent welfare handouts, but then they created an information crazy data mining Big Brother intelligence network, took over the health industry to be able to pronounce who lives and who dies, and then they use the IRS, EPA, ATF, FBI and any other federal agencies to beat down all the voices of opposition with intimidation and veiled threats; and all of it was done with taxpayer money, our money!

That’s right; we ended up paying these bastards to treat us like prison inmates. They even found a way for the government to pay back Soros for his 600 million dollar investment in Obama\democrats. Now that the Rockefellers and Rothschilds have merged their family businesses (meaning big oil and big banks) and all the newspapers around the country are being bought by Buffet, eventually ALL the media outlets, including Fox, will be under the control of Bilderberg members, so do we really have a chance to learn the Truth and remain a free society?

I believe that the Bush family is complicit in all of this and the housing market crash with the stimulus program that followed, which led to the theft of 3 trillion dollars from the US taxpayers, was nothing more than the biggest crime in the history of the world. It was a scam and a collusion arranged by the same people who are now running the FED, with the explicit support of old guard republicans and the democratic leadership. They created this scheme to polarize the political environment and to thwart any organized movement by any Americans to straighten out the government… and it worked.

I’ve decided to be insane now and follow my heart that screams out at all the injustice that is going on in this country. I agree with Scott on every single one of his points, so yes, I’m not sane on Obama either. The fact that people try to argue against this insanity that he’s created is astounding to me. His actions are totally contrary to his oath of office: “To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States”; and he should be impeached.

When I see ideologues on this Forum argue that Muslims have the right to sanction murder, then I lose faith in their judgment and the belief system that they advocate. To me, it’s very cut and dry, if anyone supports sanctioning the murder of another innocent human being for any reason, that fact impeaches their right to have a discussion in this forum or to be treated as objective human beings. Again, I blame the Lawyers and their continued manipulation of the Truth and the laws for the “Have’s” and the politicians that collude with or are lawyers themselves that misinterpret, mismanage, and misinform the people and our government that they are supposed to represent with honesty and integrity.

That should be the first target of the revolution, to abolish lawyers and find a replacement, be it AI or career jurists selected for their integrity, that have to prove their honesty on a 24/7 365 basis (or some combination of those two). Here I like to look again at science fiction for a possible solution and then work towards it, and again I find myself looking to Scott for his experience and associations. Maybe there are more possibilities out there I can’t even conceive, so I am personally grateful to have someone like OSC to help provide potential scenarios that I can’t even imagine, so that we might think of a solution to this impending potential problem before it becomes a reality.

Thanks again for that piece on "Unlikely Events" Scott.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"When I see ideologues on this Forum argue that Muslims have the right to sanction murder, then I lose faith in their judgment and the belief system that they advocate."

Before you commit yourself to being insane, you should at least make an attempt to improve your reading comprehension. I love being proved wrong even more than I love being proved right, so show me where somebody (me or anyone else) here made that argument.

"Thanks again for that piece on "Unlikely Events" Scott."

It's crap thinking. First, he gives you the most honest and reliable statement he can possibly make:
quote:
My job in writing sci-fi is to make impossible events seem not just possible but likely. Inevitable.
That statement relies on his well-padded ego as a successful FICTION writer whose career is based on inventing fantasy worlds, filling them with imaginary characters and conflicts, and then resolving the conflicts in ways that satisfy the plot and story elements he invented.

Then he goes on to tell you about the most common reason why predictions fail:
quote:
The biggest problem with prediction is that there is almost always an underlying assumption of: "If present trends continue." But present trends never continue.
You've been hooked again by the clever story teller.

Even with that as an obvious disclaimer, he then goes on to commit that exact mistake that he's told you leads to people's ability to make accurate predictions in a complex environment. I won't quote the predictions he makes, because they sit there embarrassingly in his article. But, it's worse than that because he bases his predictions on entirely subjective and likely provably false assumptions, like:
quote:
So today we have a president whose faith in the good will of Muslim leaders is touching but groundless, whose threats and promises mean nothing, and whose ignorance of history is terrifying.
Uh-huh, sure. Right. You're probably not insane, Bud. Your forehead is just a touch hot with fever from standing too close to the oracle. An oracle's career is limited and bound by his mistakes. Card's made far too many to count already, but since he's a FICTION writer that doesn't really matter.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
OSC is not sane on the topic of Obama.

quote:
Keep in mind that he already governs unconstitutionally, with czars and without a budget. He bullies his opponents, and ignores crimes by his own team. He treats Congress with contempt -- both Republicans and Democrats.
In fact, Obama treats his opponents timidly. He overstated and overreacted to the crimes by the IRS, recently. He lets Congress defy him.

The conclusion is nice:

quote:
But it sure sounds plausible, doesn't it? Because, like a good fiction writer, I made sure this scenario fit the facts we already have -- the way Obama already acts, the way his supporters act, and the way dictators have come to power in republics in the past.

...yeah...no. I guess it fits the way extreme right wingers like to portray Obama for political purposes, though.

The fact that you call the host of this website insane on any subject and that your account is still active actually proves you are wrong. Where is the angry banning of your account? By posting that comment you violated the rules and insulted not only a member, but the owner of this website. Calling OSC insane added nothing to your point and could not be backed up with facts.

It's not so much that it offends me so much as it's an obvious detractor from any logical argument you are trying to make with regards to his positions. You do not see this?

Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's mild compared to comments made about his state of mind and insights int the past. OSC *wants* free discussion and doesn't monitor this site himself. That's not to say that we follow the guidelines (created by an early mod, not by OSC) with each other, either.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud Martin
Member # 6796

I remember the moderator stating that this forum is supposed to be like OSC's living room and since when is it NOT RUDE to tell someone in their own home that they are insane, have crap thinking, a well-padded ego and imply that they can only deal with fantasy worlds. Just looking at his biography on Wiki would prove that wrong.

Character assassination and snide commentary does not prove points in a discussion at all and only makes it blatantly obvious that those opinions are not based on reason or understanding, but personal ideology.

There is nothing wrong with that if you can remember to remain calm and polite. I just happen to have a personal ideology that agrees with OSC's piece and I guess that makes me just as insane in your opinion, so remember me as one of your ideological enemies and if you want to attack all of my statements and positions on any and all topics to prove your superiority, go right ahead.

So be it, I certainly don't mind being on OSC's side and think it is rather in good company.

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Who is assassinating whose character? You'll note that he trashes Obama without pausing to throw some evidence into his argument. BTW, I made a direct challenge to you to find quotes that prove me wrong. If you can't do that, at least admit it so that we can both share the same factual basis for our arguments. Otherwise, you're just insulting other members here anonymously and without proof, which is something I would hope OSC wouldn't welcome into his living room.
Bud Martin
Member # 6796

Well, how about this post:

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Davidson:
quote:
don't understand Greg; you won't even make the concession that we should make sanctioning murder for religious reasons a crime?
I am completely against murdering for religious reasons, and it is a crime. I am a little less convinced that we should make speech advocating murder for religious reasons a crime (that is - just the speech, independent of whether someone actually commits a crime), and also I have difficulty with the phrase "make a crime". Does that just mean that we want to make a statement against it, or are you considering that the United States actually try to take legal action against those in other countries who "sanction murder for religious reasons". I find that impractical across national borders; it would be a difficult Constitutional and practical issue in the US (would we have to have Courts make judgments about various shades of fanatical speech, and determine while one extremist group is sanctioning murder for religious reasons and is thus committing a crime, this other extremist group is sanctioning murder for racist reasons and thus it is okay). But my biggest problem with this focus is that it is a distraction from the root cause of the problem. If we care about addressing the risks of extremists, we should select strategies not based on how satisfying they feel to us, but rather on the likelihood that they will address the root cause of the problem.
OK, here is the quote and BTW, do you think Islamic leaders issue Fatwas to sanction murder? Let’s see how you feel about that while we’re on this topic.

I state that character assassination doesn't prove a point in a discussion, so you refer to Obama's character being assassinated in an article that we are critiquing. How does that prove a point? You and I are in a discussion about this, while OSC's piece was an op/ed hypothetical "unlikely event". He's not in this discussion.

[ June 10, 2013, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: Bud Martin ]

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Bud, thanks. It looks like Greg is sanctioning calls for murder, but not murder. He's not talking about people doing that in the US, but in other countries where we have no jurisdiction. I tracked down where he said that in the London Beheadings thread. I won't try to explain his thinking (Greg?), but my reading of the context suggests he's talking about conflicts between groups in those countries as a state sponsored form of rabble-rousing, and incidentally only rhetorical calls for murder or violence against the US. If he cares to, he will have to explain it so I understand what he meant more fully.
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

quote:
OK, here is the quote and BTW, do you think Islamic leaders issue Fatwas to sanction murder? Let’s see how you feel about that while we’re on this topic.

I state that character assassination doesn't prove a point in a discussion, so you refer to Obama's character being assassinated in an article that we are critiquing. How does that prove a point? You and I are in a discussion about this, while OSC's piece was an op/ed hypothetical "unlikely event". He's not in this discussion.

No, I don't condone calling for anyone's murder. As for OSC's "hypothetical" discussion, he frames it around his non-hypothetical and almost Glen Beck-ish attitudes toward Obama. It's no secret that he has no respect for the man and would offer him no leeway on virtually any topic. His point is like saying, "OK, we know that Obama hates white people, so let's talk about a hypothetical unlikely event where he had to choose between saving two black refugees or 50 white people in another boat. We all know he'd pick saving the black refugees, don't we?"
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seneca, I was wrong to call OSC not sane on the topic. I should have said something like "completely wrong" instead. Thanks for pointing out the incivility on my part.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud Martin
Member # 6796

Well,

I don't know about what happened in the past, so its not part of my knowledge base. I do know that every time the left wants to stop discussion about Obama they start throwing the race issue out as a red herring. I didn't pick up a racist note on reading OSC's piece at all and now he's Glen Beck-ish. Is that another racist comment, I'm not sure what you mean with that one.

So now I'm supposed to add racist and Glen Beck-ish to the character assassination comparison’s you’ve been making. I don’t see how this makes a point in this discussion and seems to only show your own bias and absurd reasoning as well as your own proclivity to be rude to those that you disagree with. This would put anyone that treated others with respect at a clear disadvantage when trying to discuss any issue with you. I really don’t think that’s fair Al.

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

"I didn't pick up a racist note on reading OSC's piece at all and now he's Glen Beck-ish. Is that another racist comment, I'm not sure what you mean with that one."

I didn't say he made a racist comment, did I? I just used it as a simple analogy to give you a sense of how little he respects Obama. Check out this editorial by OSC right after the election in 2012. It sounds almost like it could have been written by Beck.

Bud Martin
Member # 6796

You did throw out racism as a red herring and it was irrelevant, but by implication you tried to associate OSC as a racist, otherwise there was no reason for that absurd analogy you tried to make when you said:

quote:
His point is like saying, "OK, we know that Obama hates white people, so let's talk about a hypothetical unlikely event where he had to choose between saving two black refugees or 50 white people in another boat. We all know he'd pick saving the black refugees, don't we?"
I checked out that piece and I agree with most of OSCs assertions, but I think he's giving the Republicans too much credit. I happen to think that the old guard republicans are working against the interests of the American people, much as the leadership of the Democratic Party has been doing. I respected Mitt Romney as a decent man with convictions, but he wasn’t a fighter with a warrior’s mentality that needed to confront the current administration and treat it like it deserved to be treated, as TRAITORS to the oath of office, that should be impeached.

I believe that the people that are controlling things have leverages on both political parties leadership and realize that a socialist European style government is easier to control. These are the New World Order people that align themselves with the Rockefellers and Rothschilds and let the FED regulate the US monetary system unhindered, unfettered and unaccountable to anyone or anything. These are the same people that manipulate the stock markets and preach unrestricted globalism.

I still think that this is turning out to be a conflict between the Have’s and the Have-not’s and they control the media, the courts, the financial institutions, politics, sports, entertainment and now the Internet. They are well on the way to making “Big Brother” a reality in our life time. I remember the movie “V” with Natalie Portman and see that kind of system being created as we sit by idly arguing about what the meaning of the word “is” is. Yeah, I just love making movie references… Gomen'nasai!

What's your beef with Glen Beck, he isn't on TV anymore, why keep dredging him up? Is comparing someone to him supposed to mean something important?

[ June 10, 2013, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Bud Martin ]

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

It was indeed an absurd analogy, but it served to make clear how off-the-wall he is in his thinking. You and I have a Rashomon problem [Wink] . For instance, Mitt is a decent man with convictions but very few ideas. If he had been the kind of fighter you wish he was during the campaign and won the election either the country would be spiraling into a social and economic abyss, or he would have had a future-present shock moment like Obama did and moderated his thinking when he saw the realities of the job close up.

There will always be conflict between Have/Have Not's. In today's world the Have's get to control not only the economic realm, but through their media control they pretty much control the social agenda, as well. At least they think they do. If they were right, Romney WOULD have won the election. Thankfully, their hubris exceeded their grasp by a long ways, and I hope things stay that way.

Glen Beck is the poster child for right wing crazy. If you don't see that there is no point in my trying to explain it to you. Rashomon.

D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The fact that you call the host of this website insane on any subject and that your account is still active actually proves you are wrong.
I still believe he is an entertainer at heart even here. Conflict equals attention and attention (and/or money) is what entertainers thrive on. His “predictions” are ridiculous in this article but he got me worked up while reading it. He elicited an emotional response from me and obviously Bud as well. Bravo OSC. It’s an interesting talent. I prefer your fictional fiction as opposed to your “reality based” fiction however.

quote:
since when is it NOT RUDE to tell someone in their own home that they are insane, have crap thinking, a well-padded ego and imply that they can only deal with fantasy worlds.
This sounds like every exchange on political topics I’ve ever had with friends or family who don’t agree with me. The good exchanges intermix a healthy helping of logic to back up that rejection of the other’s views. Then again in my group we don’t have much time for those with thin skin or so polite as to not ever express a controversial view.

quote:
I do know that every time the left wants to stop discussion about Obama they start throwing the race issue out as a red herring.
If I want to retain my tenuous position as someone on “the left” do I need to throw around the race issue? I’ll admit I’ve been negligent thus far in doing so to the best of my knowledge.
quote:
So now I'm supposed to add racist and Glen Beck-ish to the character assassination comparison’s you’ve been making.
Nobody here is attempting to assassinate OSC’s character. I think many of us have grown to enjoy the OSC character as much as his other fictional characters. He may not be as sympathetic or seem as brilliant as Ender or Bean but if this character were to be killed off we would lose a master catalyst for political discussion those of us who have been here awhile come to depend on.

quote:
What's your beef with Glen Beck, he isn't on TV anymore, why keep dredging him up? Is comparing someone to him supposed to mean something important?
Maybe you answered your own question? Got to keep those claims and positions consumable to a large enough audience without alienating too many people or you disappear. OSC is quite smart in that he drops bombs like this then vanishes until he’s reloaded. He doesn’t defend his positions or argue with detractors. He either sits back and watches the aftermath or if I’m wrong about this being a persona, he gets it off his chest then gets on with his life. If you want to fill the same role Bud keep working on your game. You do come off a little too tightly wound right now. Don’t want your audience to dismiss you as a crazy after all.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bud, there are multiple reasons why I am cautious about about making speech advocating murder a crime, one of which is that there have been many Americans who have advocated killing Muslims because of their beliefs about Christianity and Islam - would you want to institute a law that rendered anyone who had ever made such a statement a criminal? A number of posters on Ornery have made the case that we are in a war of civilizations, or have made the historically false assertion that Islam is an intrisically violent or warlike religion, and if we do not take actions (that include lethal force) against Muslims, we will be defeated. I don't see a substantial difference between saying we need to fight against Muslims because of their religion, and your hypothetical law against advocating murder on religious grounds. The word I used was "cautious" - I would be cautious about a law that rendered anyone who had ever made such a statement into a criminal - are you so sure that there was nothing in your previous writings that could subject you to prosecution if there was such a law? And do you really think that would be such a good use of resources, as compared to my main point

quote:
my biggest problem with this focus is that it is a distraction from the root cause of the problem.

[ June 23, 2013, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Greg Davidson ]

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You owe me a new keyboard. I literally spewed my soft drink out when I read that. I cannot possibly imagine where you got such a thing.
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Your lack of imagination is already well documented, G3. [Razz]
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness, Bud, you're letting a pack of liars dictate what you worry about, and it won't do you any favors. Take a couple deep breaths and think for yourself for a while.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkJello
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for DarkJello   Email DarkJello       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
In all seriousness, Bud, you're letting a pack of liars dictate what you worry about, and it won't do you any favors. Take a couple deep breaths and think for yourself for a while.

There are so many packs of liars. Are you talking about all of them, or just the "bad" ones??
Posts: 520 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Your lack of imagination is already well documented, G3. [Razz]

True, I am very reality based. [LOL]
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are you talking about all of them, or just the "bad" ones?
All of them, including your own brain. I strongly recommend Farhad Manjoo's True Enough.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC's essay got the attention of Slate. [Cool]

The article is pretty much what you'd expect.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GMan65
Member # 6846

- posted      Profile for GMan65   Email GMan65       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Urban gang-bangers as paramilitary brownshirts???

That's edging a bit into "fanciful" territory, I think, playing to fears of secret armies of Scary Brown People™.

I did, however, find the final paragraph quite amusing:

quote:
Just keep your head down, and you'll be OK. Unless your children repeat at school things you said in the privacy of your home. Unless an Obama crony wants your house or your job. Unless you tell the wrong joke to the wrong people. Unless you have already written or said dangerous things that will come back to get you shot trying to avoid arrest ...

Just kidding. Because if I really believed this stuff, would I actually write this essay?

I suspect OSC would write such an essay, because poking bullies with a stick is fun, regardless of the risks. [Razz]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

We must all keep in mind that OSC writes fiction. GMan65 (hmmmm, has a familiar ring to it), I'm guessing that you already know our standard greeting, but in case you don't let me point out that You Are Wrong. Given OSC's consistently off-the-wall opinions, he is frequently both Right and Wrong, an unfortunately common condition here.
Tirunedeth
Member # 6787

- posted      Profile for Tirunedeth   Email Tirunedeth       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just recently finished (re-) enjoying "Speaker for the Dead" and I feel compelled to ask the following: if OSC had to speak for Obama, what would he say, as compared to what he says now? Would he even consider accepting the request?

I also had the fortune of picking up "A War of Gifts" at a local library, and I was reminded of the part that dealt with blood lust, and specifically, the desire for the blood of your opponent, at any cost. I thought the message (moral) there might have had something to do with "Everybody feels rage; the good people find a good (or better) way to handle it." I feel now that I was probably wrong, and perhaps I might have mislead myself.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best not to read OSC's nonfiction if you're a fan of his fiction.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm late to the game here -- and let me just say that this has nothing to do with any issues I might have with Card's politics, since I hate Obama as well (for different reasons) -- but how in Zeus' name does a professional writer publish a paragraph like this??

quote:
Obama is, by character and preference, a dictator. He hates the very idea of compromise; he demonizes his critics and despises even his own toadies in the liberal press. He circumvented Congress as soon as he got into office by appointing "czars" who didn't need Senate approval. His own party hasn't passed a budget ever in the Senate.
This is the kind of writing done by a spleen with opposable thumbs. It is a mind that is so fueled by bile it has ceased to reflect upon its output.

Obama, the dictator, whose own party cannot even pass a budget in the Senate.

This is not, as I recall, a problem shared by most dictators.

I am fascinated by these contradictory extremes that are spouted here:

The president is a dictator, and the president refuses to take military action.

The president hates compromise, and he appeases our greatest enemies.

The president runs roughshod over Congress and the Constitution, and he can't get anyone to adopt his policies.

The president is Augustus, and the president is Neville Chamberlain.

Meet Obama -- Schrodinger's president.

Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

"Meet Obama -- Schrodinger's president."

That stands for much of the opposition to him! Nicely put [Smile] .

Tirunedeth
Member # 6787

- posted      Profile for Tirunedeth   Email Tirunedeth       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Best not to read OSC's nonfiction if you're a fan of his fiction." -- I had a similar thought myself, but my issue, ultimately, is more along what I think KidTokyo's was saying.

It's not whether I agree with his opinion or not, but rather that I can't respect it because of how poorly it is expressed.

Perhaps I was too naive when I first read Ender and Speaker, but I was totally sold on the possibility that there was one practically perfect kid (adult, person, whatever) who excelled at what he did because he had to be perfect.

But I only recognize now that thing that should have blown my mind most was Ender's (and his sibling's) ability to write things and sway or convince people based solely on their words.

I confess that to see someone who could conceive of such wonders in fiction and then reject them so utterly in reality is disappointing in the extreme. And with the movie coming out soon, I’m having doubts about whether to sell it to my children or not, or even how.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clicking on World Watch on the Ornery site home page brings up a list of all the OSC essays published on Ornery since he founded this site after the World Trade Center events. That is not all he wrote, I believe, as some were never copied from the Rhinoceros Times, but the list includes almost all of them. So when I joined as a member five years or so ago, I read all that he had written and published on this site. I found that worthwhile, as OSC, while he does have peculiar ideas, also knows a lot and writes fluently. But as an aspiring playwright from BYU who achieved success writing science fiction, he is an amateur when commenting on politics or foreign policy; he just does not have much appropriate experience relating to the task. Most people who do well at that have backgrounds as newspapermen or in the State Department. But like anyone else who is well educated - and highly self educated beyond his formal college degree - and has good writing talent, OSC makes good points from time to time. So it is fun to read what he has to say, even if it is perhaps a mistake to take it too seriously.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tirunedeth
Member # 6787

I've been progressing towards a similar conclusion, but haven't yet settled completely with it yet. I can enjoy differing opinions, even when I strongly disagree, but prefer them to be reasonably expressed.

I still believe that critical thinking and analysis are not constrained to specific disciplines but rather cut across them. To me, being intelligent isn’t so much a matter of knowing everything as using what you do know well. Knowing what you really DON’T KNOW follows from this as well. Being able to admit to it should count for something too.

Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To me, being intelligent isn’t so much a matter of knowing everything as using what you do know well. Knowing what you really DON’T KNOW follows from this as well. Being able to admit to it should count for something too.
I totally agree - nicely put
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is probably why I find OSC's political persuasion pieces to be so unreadable. It's not merely a matter whether the values expressed are mine--part of what makes his fiction great is his ability to articulate a variety and breadth of moral circumstances and choices, and do so generously. And I enjoy his reviews over on Hatrack. It's that his political writing is both clumsy and hamfisted technically, AND infantile and spiteful in its expression. It wouldn't be so disappointing if his fiction weren't so finely wrought.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

I have also heard him speak, and he makes much more nuanced points in person - even where I disagree, I understand the rationale for where he is coming from. Not quite sure what gets in to him in his writing.

I am not sure that he could survive a cross examination as is typical here - not because of the invective, but simply because he makes so many unsubstantiated assertions that are not difficult to counter.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page