Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » The End of the American Peace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The End of the American Peace
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, let's talk about OSC's racism and homophobia and how disappointed we are the writer or such a great science fiction story can be such a disappointment (that was from the Dept of Redundancy Dept).

Now, I'm gonna go actually read the article before I comment on it ... I know, crazy idea.

Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article, spot on. Couldn't have been better if I had written it myself ...
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was equal parts, attempting to shame my beliefs, speaking to me with the sound of truth and character assassination of cartoon representations of those who he feels are his political opponents. I actually liked it even though some of it was a bit to exaggerated for my tastes. I think he sees evil intent where there is only naiveté, but even while mislabeling the motivations some of the criticisms are no less valid.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

After one full term and part of a second, can we still ascribe to to naiveté?
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The motivations? Sure. You can very easily write off continuing mistakes (some of them I don't see as mistakes but some seem so) as a stubborn belief that the world WILL work as you think it should if you just stick to it. That or the unwillingness to admit you were wrong. Which the missing E may be indicative of...
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

quote:
Originally posted by D.W.:
The motivations? Sure. You can very easily write off continuing mistakes (some of them I don't see as mistakes but some seem so) as a stubborn belief that the world WILL work as you think it should if you just stick to it. That or the unwillingness to admit you were wrong. Which the missing E may be indicative of...

You may enjoy this article: Obama, Solipsist . It makes the point that Barry is the type of guy that truly believes that the world WILL work as he thinks it should and makes it very compellingly.
D.W.
Member # 4370

The end quote is good, "That, unhappily, is not the world we live in. Being on the lookout for common ground is sensible. Assuming common ground when none exists is foolish. And often has bad consequences." Not sure he makes the case as strongly as he seems to think he does.

Still a lot closer to my gripes of Obama than OSC seems to have. [Smile]

AesopFan
Member # 6766

- posted      Profile for AesopFan   Email AesopFan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, and every bit is true.
Does this mean OSC is no longer welcome among the Democrats?
(Oh wait, they already threw him out for being a racist homophobe, despite his long-term allegiance to the brand.)
It would seem to me that a re-evalutation of every Democratic political and social principle is now in order, as these Leftist America-haters did not spring fully grown from the turf at Harvard, like Myrmidons.
They are the result of continual Leftist indoctrination since the time of Roosevelt -- Teddy, that is.
If you can't go fully for the Republicans (neither can I in a lot of cases), then at least throw off the shackles of the Left and consider that they may be wrong in more than just agenda, ethics, and foreign policy.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SO does that mean you think we should go to war with Russia over the Crimea? What are you willing to pay to protect it? How much money and how many lives - theirs and ours - should we spend?
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClintonKing
Member # 6735

- posted      Profile for ClintonKing   Email ClintonKing       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that I would give my life to preserve my freedom or my family's freedom. Am I willing to give my life to preserve freedom for complete strangers? That is a more difficult question to answer.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page