Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » Scott Peterson and his sentance.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scott Peterson and his sentance.
PeterWiggin
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for PeterWiggin   Email PeterWiggin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm aware this has been overkill on the media lately, but it's a valid topic to bring up. And because it's been such a popular story lately, I've come to the same conclusion that OSC has come to. That many media reporters are corrupt, and that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so that the media itself is as guilty as the reporters.

As for his sentance, I'm not very clear on the evidence, but from what I've heard, it is somewhat sketchy evidence and somewhat inconclusive. A friend of mine told me a quote Thomas Jefferson once said: "It is better for a guilty man to be let free than an innocent man to go to jail." And in this case, the man won't go to jail, he'll be executed.

As for the death penalty itself, I feel it is a terrible idea for a punishment. It does not stop murders from occuring and it does not stop people from wanting to murder others.

The only time the death penalty should be accepted as a form of punishment, is if the criminal is a serious threat to society. Scott Peterson is not that criminal. Somebody like Timothy McVeigh, completely different story. He deserved the penalty becuase of the destruction he had done.

I feel like a moron for relating this to the Ender Series, but if you look at somebody like Achilles, that is somebody who deserves the death penalty. A murderer of many more than just one person, and a threat to society. Again, Scott Peterson is not that man.

Lets also list what the prosecution doesn't have, a murder weapon, any forensic evidence, a cause of death. Wow. how do you prosecute someone when you don't have any of these.

And for the fact that he was having an affair, when you put it in retrospect, how much does that have to do with the idea of a murder? People have affairs all the time, and I can't recall many murders relating to affairs. If I'm wrong show me why, but I stand strong with my ideas.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I don't think people should be put to death on circumstancial evidence. Unless there are actually witnesses (possibily multiple) or unrefutable evidence that the murderer did commit the act, then at worst they should be put behind bars. If you just can't prove it but you are 95% sure that he did it, then put him behind bars without possibility of parole. Death is too final for something so un-conclusive. This does not mean I want to get rid of the death sentence, I still think that it is appropriate in some cases. If I were a juror for the Scott Peterson case I would have voted for him to be put behind bars without parole.
Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carmachu
Member # 1691

- posted      Profile for carmachu   Email carmachu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death penalty for an affair? Thats a bit of a stretch, dont you think?

I dont know if your married, but frankly if my pregnant wife goes missing, I'm going to be looking night and day, not

off fishing(the same lake area I beleive Laci was found), having an affair, changing my appearance at the same time selling my house and car and taking the money and running off to Mexico.

So if he didnt do it, who did? There arent any more suspects, Laci didnt have any enemies. So I'll ask again, if he didnt do it, who did?

personally, hanging is too good for him.

carmachu

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I agree. I don't think people should be put to death on circumstancial evidence. Unless there are actually witnesses (possibily multiple) or unrefutable evidence"
Circumstantial evidence is just as reliable as any other form of evidence, if the inferences taken are logical; it really has gotten an unfair rap from defense attorneys and crappy Hollywood dramas. I mean, fingerprint, testimonial, and physical evidence can all be considered "circumstantial" at various points in time.

[ December 29, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: FIJC ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So if he didnt do it, who did?
The same person who killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman. I heard OJ's looking for him. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carmachu
Member # 1691

- posted      Profile for carmachu   Email carmachu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Snicker* now thats funny. Is this same person also proving the existance of Big Foot and the Lockness Monster as well?

carmachu

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's his brother.
Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLMyers
Member # 1983

- posted      Profile for JLMyers   Email JLMyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he did it, he deserves the death penalty. He was found guilty.

KE

Posts: 2007 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KingNot
Member # 2078

- posted      Profile for KingNot   Email KingNot       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm against what happened in the Scott Peterson trial. If I was a juror, I would have nullified the verdict and at least ONE of the laws, namely the 'new one' being tried in the court of public opinion.

The real purpose of this trial was to set a legal precedent for the "Fetal Homicide" law, which is quite obviously a backdoor attempt to eventually get abortion outlawed. Forgive me, but I do not share the moralist's enthusiasm to get back to the 'good old days' of teenage girls throwing themselves in front of trucks or going to a quack and then being found in an alley in a state that would literally make Quincy's RL counterparts ill. "Fetal Homicide" is also a quite unneccessary law. I do think that if say, someone walked around slashing pregnant women's bellies with a machete, he'd be found guilty of something serious.

But even beyond the law's dubiousness, the true injustice is to Scott Peterson. He was more or less convicted of Capital Murder on Circusmstancial evidence. In this day and age, Circumstansial evidence amounts to "Prove you didn't do it" or more accurately "Guilty until proven innocent".

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The real purpose of this trial was to set a legal precedent for the "Fetal Homicide" law, which is quite obviously a backdoor attempt to eventually get abortion outlawed.
There is no need to set a legal precedent for fetal homicide. It has been th law in California since the aftermath of the Keeler case decided in 1969. 29 states have them. I'd be interested in hearing what evidence you have for such a claim.
Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page