Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » World Watch » Welcome to Ornery!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Welcome to Ornery!
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the immortal words of one of our old-timers, KnightEnder (I believe):

Welcome to Ornery! You are wrong.

Well, maybe so, maybe not, but if you are one of our several new contributors, expect to be challenged early and often, but generally with courtesy. [Smile]

I'd like to encourage anyone who has not yet done so to mosey over the the "General Comments" section of this board, where the forum rules and conventions are explained. They include, but are not limited to, the charter of the Ornery American website under whose generous umbrella our discussions are sheltered.

The short version is that the OA fora comprise a great diversity of opinion. If you've come looking for a bunch of people who all or even mostly agree with your views, whatever they are, you've come to the wrong place. If you've come looking for a bunch of people who all or even mostly disagree with your views, whatever they are, you've come to the wrong place.

Here, we endeavor to discuss all manner of political, philosophical, cultural and religious issues in a rational, thorough and courteous fashion. In short, all the things you're not supposed to talk about at dinner parties.

We don't care what your affiliations are, your titles, your gender, age or other census data. We do care that you state your arguments or responses with courtesy, respect for differing points of view, and that you be prepared to back up or defend what you say without whining. If you think your views represent a self-evident truth, you're not going to have very much fun here. If you can't conduct yourself with respect for differing viewpoints, you're not going be welcome here.

If you do believe that reasonable people can disagree, that free and courteous discussion is the cornerstone of democracy, and you want to explore the issues that confront all of us with people of like commitment to understanding, then jump in--the water's fine.

Again, welcome to Ornery!

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funean's the one to talk to, because all the old-timers are polite to her, even when we violently disagree with her opinions. Most of us find it really hard to get angry with someone that is so damned reasonable all the time.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Ornery!

Can this thread get a sticky?

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elle
Member # 2447

- posted      Profile for Elle   Email Elle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had 'agreeing with me' on my list of requirements for friendship. [Wink]

As a newby I must say that the level of discussion here is stimulating. The diversity of opinion and comment here is great!

[Big Grin] Thank you for being here!

[ May 29, 2005, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Elle ]

Posts: 49 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most of us find it really hard to get angry with someone that is so damned reasonable all the time.
Mwahahahahahahaaa!
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I wrong too?
Posts: 223 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hywer
Member # 2046

- posted      Profile for hywer   Email hywer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rule is as binding as the laws of nature. There are no exceptions.

You are wrong. But then, so am I. [Wink]

Posts: 205 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That should be the first Article of Faith for any religion.

Welcome to our religion! We are wrong!

But we get as much right as we can, and maybe you'll add something along the way...

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've never had 'agreeing with me' on my list of requirements for friendship.

Elle,

Me neither. My best friend for years (until he drowned in Can Cun) was a super-religious conservative. And I loved him like a brother. Heck, I still love him.

KE

[ June 10, 2005, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theyux
Member # 2794

- posted      Profile for theyux   Email theyux       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im sticking to my policy, of everyones wrong but me. Its an easy concept to concieve, because if I am always right, when I stipulate im always right I am therefore always right. Handy huh.
Posts: 211 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Handy only in the sense that it allows you to remain insular, unchallenged, and effectively illiterate as to the nature of objective facts and sustainable logic. The fact that your contributions have been replete with factual errors and logic flaws stands in stark contrast to your absurd conditional that you are always right.

But you can do whatever you wish.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Redskull, I'm beginning to see the pattern! I have no qualms about mixing it up with you in the future, and I like how your mind works (just not all of it products [Smile] ).

I feel no further need to admit that I'm wrong. Others have graciously done that for me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave

The standard is pretty blunt... equal opportunity destroyer.

And I have the ability to back it up.

Enjoyed it over on the other thread with you. You bounced back pretty well and gave everyone something hard to work with.

I used to post much more frequently, and used to engage in just about every single topic. I just don't have the time to do it anymore. So I hope the archive remains stable, that people read it, and put up with the fact that my engagement on Ornery is now much less obvious and visible. Post for post Ornery still pretty much kicks the level of accuracy and content of any other public internet forum. I still read every thread, although days may pass between visits. I still fire frequent emails to people about Ornery content, but I unless it really interests me or is so blatantly bad that it irks me, I just don't post much anymore.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theyux
Member # 2794

- posted      Profile for theyux   Email theyux       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Handy only in the sense that it allows you to remain insular, unchallenged, and effectively illiterate as to the nature of objective facts and sustainable logic. The fact that your contributions have been replete with factual errors and logic flaws stands in stark contrast to your absurd conditional that you are always right.

But you can do whatever you wish. "

Hey you cant make me do whatever I want. Damnit stop it. Omg He is controlling me. Stop!!!

Posts: 211 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KE
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for KE   Email KE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the spirit of Funean taking my welcome to newbies and making it the "Official Ornery Greeting", I would like to propose we take a phrase by another of our old-timers, Viking Longship, and make it our "Official Ornery Motto":

"Here at Ornery we play to learn!"

That simply and concisely encapsulates what makes OA unique on the Web. Our goal isn't just just to win. Rather we play, or engage each other, in order to educate ourselves and challenge our own preconceived thoughts and beliefs. To explore why we think and believe as we do and to get other perspectives from honorable intelligent people who are doing the same thing.

If it is a semantic debate that one is looking for there are thousands of places on the Web for that. But there are precious few places where knowledge and courtesy are more important than winning. As a long-time member, what Funean oh so ungraciously refers to as an "old-timer", I am very proud that Ornery at its best is one of those places.

Knight Ender

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like when my children lose at chess, if you learned something, you may have lost the game but you won something better, knowledge and experience. You lose, you win. Unless you refuse to learn.
Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greenmanwest
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Greenmanwest   Email Greenmanwest       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never realized just how wrong I've been until now. And I never realized that there was such a place to be gleefully, joyfully wrong among other wrong people. Where being wrong is another form of Grokking!
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funean started this thread with a really good post. It is nice to see it brought up again.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KE:
If it is a semantic debate that one is looking for there are thousands of places on the Web for that. But there are precious few places where knowledge and courtesy are more important than winning.

I miss those days. Knowledge and courtesy together in one place? Some kind of utopian ideal or something.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andrewski
Member # 758

- posted      Profile for andrewski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was that ideal that brought me back to "Ornery". Is it dead?
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's what we make it. It's not dead, maybe (hopefully) just temporarily MIA. Welcome back, you're definitely wrong.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waleed432
Member # 6961

- posted      Profile for waleed432   Email waleed432       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Republican loathing for Spanish-speaking immigrants has been so virulent that Hispanic voters have no choice but to vote for the Democrats, even though they actually dislike almost every position the Democrats take.

Oh, I know: Officially, the Republican position isn't anti-immigrant, it's only against illegal immigrants.

But hispanics aren't stupid. They remember the "English-only" movement; they hear Republicans talking about immigrants who only come to America to get on welfare. These views don't single out illegal immigrants. They attack all hispanic immigrants

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spark
Member # 6976

- posted      Profile for spark   Email spark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowledge is power
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Power is power" - Cersei Lannister

link

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page