Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » Artest punishment too strong?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artest punishment too strong?
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. I believe you need to set parameters, borders which cannot be crossed. Artest as interviewed on The Today Show, still doesn't think he did anything wrong. He spent most of the time trying to pimp his new rap album. I heard Jim Rome say that he's going to save his money--not buy Artest's album. He said he's waiting for Scott Petersen's album to come out and he'll buy that instead.

Funny, but what bugs me is I just know that once Artest returns to the court, he's going to do so with a standing ovation from Indiana fans. That happened with Kobe, and it happened years ago with James Worthy. I guess the bad boys are heroes to us, no matter what they do, in fact, the very bads acts they do seem to make them more heroic to many fans. Oh well, that's my beef.

Shane

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Heck, I thought he should have been booted out of the league and fined 500,000 dollars.

I also think the fans should be arrested. There is no doubt Artest should be arrested.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the punishments have to be parallel a little bit. As of right now, the fan that hit Artest with the cup has been banned from the arena for the rest of the season. No criminal charges yet. If that turns out not to be the case, I will certainly change my mind about this. But as of right now, the instigator has received 15 minutes of fame, and must now watch the games from the comfort of his own home. Artest meanwhile has lost his livelihood, and whether you think athletes are overpaid or not, losing your expected earnings for a year is a big deal. I think maybe less of a suspension, half the year or so, and many hours of community service or fines might have done the job just as well. I'm not a huge Artest defender though, so I'm not surprised or unhappy with things as they stand now.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aupton15:
I think the punishments have to be parallel a little bit. As of right now, the fan that hit Artest with the cup has been banned from the arena for the rest of the season. No criminal charges yet. If that turns out not to be the case, I will certainly change my mind about this. But as of right now, the instigator has received 15 minutes of fame, and must now watch the games from the comfort of his own home. Artest meanwhile has lost his livelihood, and whether you think athletes are overpaid or not, losing your expected earnings for a year is a big deal. I think maybe less of a suspension, half the year or so, and many hours of community service or fines might have done the job just as well. I'm not a huge Artest defender though, so I'm not surprised or unhappy with things as they stand now.

Well, I work for the post office, and if I punched someone who was a customer, I'd expect to be fired, and I'd deserve to be--even if that costumer threw a glass of beer in my face. I think that would happen to most of us in our lines of work, unless we were attacked physically--and by that I mean with fists or a weapon of sorts, not beverages. You can't really call a glass of beer a weapon.

Now, though, did you hear the union rep? He's trying to blame the entire thing on the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Give me a break!

Shane

Shane

[ November 24, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Shane Roe ]

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had to post because there are 666 posts in the sport forum and we must change it before satan arrives!

oh and i think that in relations to panishments soccer palyers get in europe, artest escaped here pretty easilly.... if he was a soccer player he could have gotten a 2 years suspension atleast

[ November 25, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Hannibal ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kherlen
Member # 1800

- posted      Profile for Kherlen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Stern say that he modeled Artest's suspension after some soccer player's suspension in England for a similar incident? 8 months?
Posts: 380 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, O'Neal and Jackson also attacked fans. So why are they getting less than half of Artest's punishment?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Artest got the worst for being the first one into the stands. I know O'Neal never went into the stands at all, he hit a fan on the court. I'm not sure how Jackson got off so much easier than Artest. He wasn't personally provoked at all, and he escalated everything by going into the stands as well.

Shane, I agree with you to an extent. But by law, Artest was assaulted. I think if he had been confronted by a person who did this to him, his punishment would have been greatly reduced. The problem was that he went nuts, even though he had no idea who threw the cup at him. It's not really the same as fighting with an individual who throws something on you. I'm not excusing Artest at all, but he didn't act much differently than your average person would have in similar situations. I think he's being vilified a bit much by some, and probably being defended a bit too vigorously by the union.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1935140

Could be a lot worse than just missing some games. The three suspended players will most likely have charges brought against them. Apparently a reserve player was also involved, but did not get suspended by the NBA. Bet he will if he's found guilty. I hope the fans who were involved are also having charges brought against them, but haven't heard one way or the other yet.

JLMyers
Member # 1983

- posted      Profile for JLMyers   Email JLMyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was too strong.

KE

Posts: 2007 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abm3
Member # 2139

- posted      Profile for abm3   Email abm3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work for unemployment insurance, and from what I've seen, in any other job, any other situation, *all* of the people involved in the fight would be fired, not just suspended, and not just Artest.

First, there were guards and security officers all over the building who could have handled the situation. None of the men needed to act in "self-defense" - that's what security is there for.

Second, professional sports are *entertainment*. The players number one job is to keep people happy and watching. They absolutely cannot frighten people! The fans (aka customers) pay to be entertained, not to be punched.

Imagine any other situation in which a customer or audience member had been punched because the player/actor/employee *thought* the person had thrown a drink. As the previous poster indicated -if you can't imagine getting away with it at your job, why should a NBA player get away with it? Shouldn't they actually be held to a *higher* standard? In a way, players are like anyone who works in sales or customer service - no matter how rude the customer is to you, you are expected to respond with a smile.

I think the players are getting a pretty sweet deal, all things considered. Plenty of "regular" people have been fired for a whole lot less.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carmachu
Member # 1691

- posted      Profile for carmachu   Email carmachu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While Artest had provocation, he was STILL wrong to go swinging, no matter what.

And I agree with the offical that said that under NO circumstances should a player EVER go into the stands, he should assume there is an invisible wall around the stands. Period.

Now charges are being filed against fans AND players, and rightfully so.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page