Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » Native American team names--your thoughts. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Native American team names--your thoughts.
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but the Oklahoma Seminoles want it changed.
Interestingly, I just found out that this is not true. In fact the Oklahoma Semionoles support the FSU's use of the Florida Seminoles name, but two individuals from the Oklahoma Seminoles petitioned the NCAA to get the name changed despite their tribes stance on the issue.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that the NCAA has removed the Florida Seminoles from the list now.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Coming late to the issue, clearly.

I went to a high school that was about 30-40 Ojibwa (Same folks as Chippewas) I can't say I recall anyone complaining about it. My good friend growing up was even a rabid Washington Redskins fan. Odder than that he liked the kicker a lot, whose name was Ali Haji-Sheik or something along those lines. None of the schools that we played in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, though, had Native names. Marquette is the Redmen, but we didn't play them. (some great names up there, beside the recently famous Nimrods. There were the Bessemer Speedboys, the Calumet Copper Kings, the Houghton Gremlins, my own schools was the rather vanilla Vikings)

We did get racist chants from the stands at basketball and football games, but no team names that I recall.

I suppose I'd say if the tribes themselves, as governments say ok, tribe names should be fine. The Redskins, well, would you call someone a "Redskin" to their face?
Depends on how big he is, doesn't it? You would call someone a Chippewa to his face, so there's a nice line. I only had to ramble for about 10 minutes to find it.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page