Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » NFL 2005

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NFL 2005
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The season is about to kick off, so there's really only one thing left to ask: Who you got?

My picks:
AFC Championship
Colts defeat Chargers

NFC Championship
Eagles defeat Vikings

Super Bowl
Eagles defeat Colts

Am I predictable or what?

Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're joking, of course [Big Grin] . The Patriots will defeat all comers ... providing they don't get unbalanced with those 5-carat diamond rings. Gawds how gawdy!

The origins of football in the US have a little monument on Boston Common. It says simply

THE ONEIDA LINE WAS NEVER CROSSED

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Patriots won't even win their own division this year!
Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFC
East: Buffalo (I mean Jets, but objectively speaking...)
North: Baltimore
South: Please...Da Peyton show
West: KC (I'm buying into the revamped defense. At least this time they actually have one)

Wild card: Jets and Pats

NFC
East: Iggles
North: Minnie
South: Carolina (I'd love for the saints to be the inspiration story, but it prob'ly ain't gonna happen)
West: Cardinals!

Wild card: Atlanta and Seattle

AFC title game: Baltimore-Indy
NFC title game: Iggles-Minnie

Superbowl: Indy over Iggles

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
No chance the jets are gonna unseat the patriots in the AFC east. The patriots have a brutal schedule, but the jets have to play the patriots twice. Thats two losses right there...And as long as the patriots have brady and bellichek, only a fool would bet against them.

Romeo Crennel's loss won't matter at all... Mangini is as highly regarded as Crennel is, and knows the system.

Charlie Weis won't matter too much... the offense is actually Bellichek's, not Weis'.

Sure, losing Ted and TEd and Ty hurts, but did you notice that last year Ty wasn't playing for half the season anyways? And with a front four of Green, Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren, and Harrison coming up into the box to stuff the run, the loss of Ted and Ted shouldn't hurt the run defence too much. And remember who played the nickel corner last year? Thats right. A wide receiver. The secondary is healthy this year, and should be a lot stronger then last.

No major additions this year, but none really needed. Wide receiver is deeper then last year, Dillon should be almost as good as last year, Brady is still working towards his peek, and the offense line are all still improving. On defence, seymour, green, wilfork, and warren, are all at an age when they are still getting better.

I think, if anything, the pats are slightly better then last year. A little wobbly on opening night, but they did what the patriots always do... make adjustments, make plays when necessary, and come away with the win. Nothing really worrisome.

Still, they won't win the superbowl. Winning three in a row is just ridiculously tough... too many bounces have to go your way. SOmewhere in the playoffs, a bounce will go against them. But they should win the division again... too many bounces have to go against them for someone else to win it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take the Pats and the Eagles again, I know it's a trendy pick, but there's a reason for that. I think the Patriots will have to play a road game at Indy for the AFC title, but there's no reason to believe they can't win that...they have a nearly as good (and maybe better in some instances) quarterback, a far superior defense, and all the mental advantages one could ask for.

The Eagles have the potential to have a fantastic season, now that T.O. seems interested in being on the field. I think the attention is more important to him than the money. We all know that can go down the drain in one bad game, but I'm banking on him being pseudo-reliable and the Eagles covering for him when he's not. Nobody else in the NFC has really caught up. They should easily win the East, unless Eli becomes Peyton, or Bledsoe becomes mobile (I don't even know which Redskin will be quarterbacking by the time the Eagles play them...poor Joe Gibbs). After that it's just a scary game with Atlanta or maybe Carolina (truly scary in the playoffs).

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Green Bay is officially done. Javon Walker is out for the season. Even in a week conference, Green Bay does not have enough to keep up. They might not keep up with Chicago at this point.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"After that it's just a scary game with Atlanta ..."

Too scary, apparently. [Smile]

I love my Falcons, but I've got to thank TO and Donovan for being on the outs after that bitter preseason. If those two had been on the same page last night, they would have taken it.

Now, if my alma mater (Clemson) can just hold it together...

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

Scary in week 1. Honestly neither team should be excited with that many turnovers and blown possessions. I expect the NFC Championship game to be more exciting.
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

I'm not too worried about that lackluster performance. Trotter won't be getting tossed anymore, TO and McNabb will get their act together, and Akers is not going to miss 2 field goals again.
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll repeat my only NFL prediction. Lions make teh playoffs. Maybe it's the same one I make every year to almost certain doom, or maybe it's not.

But, hey, they beat the Pack (with a lot of help from the Pack, boy did Favre look pissed) and they should whip the Bears this weekend. Always better to start 2-0 than 1-1. The best thing I saw about the Lions is that Kevin Jones appears like he's not in a grove yet. He'll be getting better.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

It is a wide open division, especially if the Vikings don't step up
aupton15
Member # 1771

I just moved to Toledo and got the sense of "impending doom" fans up here feel about their Lions. It seems very familiar somehow [Smile]
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vikings were pretty dire. Well, Culpepper was, at any rate. Hopefully it was a glitch. It's not the strongest division in the NFL, is it. I said before that the Lions have a decent chance of winning the division. If Green Bay and Minnesota continue in the same vein, the Lions will win it by a large margin.
Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

Why whatever could you possibly mean by that, aupton? What foolish city could you have been in before that would be so pessimistic? I can't for the life of me figure it out... [Wink]

I'm betting it was a glitch, as evidenced by my NFC championship pick. They'll get it together and get some wins under their belts as soon as they can beat up on their own division.

witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aupton, are people in Toledo generally supporting the Honululu and silver or is it split with Browns and Bengals fans a bunch?

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula, which is pretty split between Green Bay and Detroit fans. The Packers were mostly ahead for most of my lifetime, which makes sense. Geographically, Michigan ain't the most sensible of states. I was a Minnesota North Stars fan before they moved to Dallas and I switched to the Wings.

Dan

[ September 15, 2005, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: witless chum ]

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

There seems to be a Detroit and Cleveland split. Some of the people in my program are actually from the Detroit area though, so that might skew my perspective a little bit. Haven't seen anything from Cincy up this far north.

Where I grew up in WV Cincy was the closest professional sports town, but it was still 3 hours away. So I was pretty unaffiliated until I moved to Philly. I basically followed any Marshall graduates lucky enough to go pro.

thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

But now you're inextricably linked to Philly sports, never to escape! Congratulations. Your teams will never win a championship again!
aupton15
Member # 1771

I have been linked, but I don't yet have the pessimism that most people in that city share. The Eagles are too good of an organization for them to not win a title eventually. Donovan has four or five more really good years, and most of the rest of the team is just about parts fitting into a system. It's been pretty successful so far, and I think they will be able to break through that last game in the next few years. After that I might develop a little more bitterness.
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

You and your logic. You need to develop more of a sports talk radio mentality.
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up 20 miles outside of boston. I grew up believing the red sox would not win a world series in my life time. Honestly, my dad used to only sort-of joke that I wasn't allowed to die until I came to his grave and told him the red sox had finally won.

Anything can happen!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I grew up believing the red sox would not win a world series in my life time."

Pshaw - I grew up in Atlanta. A town known as "Loserville" throughout its sports history.

The first national title won by any professional sports team from the ATL?

Wait for it...

The Atlanta Chiefs. Never heard of 'em? Remember a professional soccer league in the US circa the late 60's/early 70's? Yeah, no one else does either. But hey, Pele played in it.

The only other professional championship for Atlanta? The Braves won the Series back in '95. Still have the newspaper front page on my wall. Sigh.

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

We do have a good professional lacrosse team, but I don't think that counts.

What is going on with my second NFC Championship game pick? I don't like to overreact too much at the beginning of the season, but I think it may be panic time. Was Randy Moss that important? And I thought they had a revamped defense. Why do they keep getting blown out by such weak competition? My pick was predicated on the belief that Minnesota would get the second seed and therefore have homefield until they reached Philly. This doesn't look good.

[ September 18, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: thegreatgrundle ]

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Was Randy Moss that important? And I thought they had a revamped defense"

You and me both, buddy. What's up with that? As for Moss - apparently so. He masked Travelin' Man's lack of touch.

My preseason picks are looking like crap. Only Iggles and Indy look good, and them is some sad numbers.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 2625

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a Vikings fan, I think their problems go way beyond Randy Moss. The first problem is the head coach. Mike Tice has shown that he can not bring a team together and get them to play quality ball for an extended period of time.

However, looking at last years team compared to this year, there are two subtractions that are at least as important as Moss. First, Matt Birk is not there to anchor the offensive line, which has given up sack after sack while not creating any running lanes. Second, Scott Linehan, former offensive coordinator, has moved on, taking away the best coach the Vikings have had since Brian Billick as OC.

Hope goes on, however, because the NFC North stinks, and if the Vikings can get to seven wins, they might just win the worst division in the history of football.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Aerto - excellent points. But still, wasn't the D supposed to be good?
Aerto
Member # 2625

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was supposed to be improved, but the defense has suffered injuries, Cowart and now Udeze, and just has not come together like it should. They have talent on that side of the ball, so I'm looking at the coaching staff with suspicion. Also, it has been tough on the defense because the offense has been so ineffective, turning the ball over and not sustaining any drives, thereby keeping the D on the field much too long.

Anyway you look at it, the Vikings are just plain a mess.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

Here's an interesting question to ponder...what NFL team outside of the NFC North would NOT win that division if they played there this year? I'm not sure there are more than two teams in all of the NFL that absolutely couldn't do it. The 49ers clearly had a flukey good week against St. Louis and have gone back to normal since and the Texans can't seem to get it together at all. Any other thoughts?
Aerto
Member # 2625

I think Arizona and Cleveland would also struggle to win the North. I wouldn't say that they absolutely couldn't win the division. Its just said that 4 of the worst eight teams in the NFL play in the same division.
RickyB
Member # 1464

Arizona, Texas, Cleveland, maybe the Jets now that Penny is gone and Curtis seems done. Maybe Tennessee.
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take offense at the comments that the Browns wouldn't win that division. [Razz] We're already 1-0 against it (victory over the Packers) and could get up to 2-0 against it with a win against Da Bears tomorrow.

[ October 08, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: IrishTD ]

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Down boy, here's a bone. [Razz]

I picked the Bears to win that game.

witless chum
Member # 1643

Lions will win that division. And, why, pray tell is the NFC North considered worse than the NFC West? At 2-2, a Lions fan feeling like talking smack, at least to Bears, Vikings and Packers fans.

Of course, much as I thought I'd never type these words, IrishTD, Trent Dilfer is playing well. I'd trade you Joey Harrington for him. Harrington made precisely two good plays today.

Dan

Aerto
Member # 2625

NFC North is worth than the NFC because only one team in the North has more than one win. Two teams in the West do. Of course, this is like trying to decide which smells worse, human excrement or dog excrement. They both stink.

Also, don't gloat too much about the Lions. They should be able to beat a team that commits 21 penalties in one game. That being said, I think there is a pretty good chance the Lions end up in the playoffs this year, if only by default.

RickyB
Member # 1464

Da Dawgs is makin' noise! [Smile] Mmmm, yummy hat.
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dan! [Big Grin] Dilfer certainly isn't the best QB in the league, but at least he appears to be functional -- and not turning the ball over much (a necessity). What is Harrington's problem up there? He's got great weapons -- no protection? or just bad?

Now we go down to Baltimore to face the Ravens....hmmm...that'll be interesting...if we can stop Lewis, we'll win. But after watching how well we stopped the Bears rushing game, I'm not that optimistic...we shall see.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another truly sad thing for the Vikings is that, thanks to the party boat of love, they manage to chalk up a 'L' vs their bye week.

I stand by my guess that the Lions could run away with this division, winning it at 7-9, 4 games clear of the 2nd play team. Only wins for NFC north teams come against each other, and the Texans.

Or, if we are more lucky, Daunte will get back on form, Tice will realise that Moore is a far, far better RB than Bennett, and the defense will live up to at least half of it's hype. Then we win the division at 8-8 [Smile]

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page