Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » Baseball rigged?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baseball rigged?
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This season ending is a little too scripted, especially after the past two years.

2003 Aaron F. Boone stabs Sox in the heart
2004 Sox come roaring back from 3-0 deficit
2005 Sox-Yanks will decide the AL East in head-to-head games at the end of the season, with potential tiebreakers - including wildcard conflict with the Indians.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the thing that puts both of those teams in that position is their ability and willingness to pay ridiculous free agent contracts in the hopes of getting to the postseason. Sure the games they've played in the past few years have made for great drama, but both teams have gotten there by spending more than anybody else in their division, the American Leage, and all of baseball. They don't really need a conspiracy to help them along.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know the red sox actually cut salary from last year to this year? [Smile]

I think the yankees are doomed to a few more years of high high ridiculous spending, but the sox are getting closer to falling back to the back in spending, and still having a strong team, since their farm system is just on the verge of producing a whole mess of players. Youkilis, Pabelbon, Hansen, Lester, Sanchez, Martinez, Shoppach, Hanly Ramirez, Dustin Pedroia. Most of them should end up as productive major leaguers in the next couple years, which means a lot of money saved on free agents. Of course, the sox are big market, so will always have the ability to go out and get the missing peice through free agency.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they're both in it again. Unfortunately, my Phillies aren't. Ugh. I become a Cubs fan for a weekend, and they break my heart! At least Rollins still has his streak intact.
Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Cleveland choked this last week, pure and simple.

On the plus side for cleveland fans, the tribe looks like they did 93/94, right before they became the best team in the american league for 5 years.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago played well today. And they lost. NEENER. [Smile]
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
growl
Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everard,
Very true on the Indians. I don't think anyone really expected them to be in the hunt for a playoff spot this year, and there the were. Very impressive season. Should be a fun team to watch next year.

TGG,
Can you really be surrpised by the Cubbies choking? Really? It's a given that the will...that's what they do.

And my Braves keep the streak alive. Bobby Cox == manager of the year. No discussion necessary [Big Grin]

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should go ahead and put Bobby Cox in the Hall of Fame now, 'cause he may not quit until he's dead. And by the way, if baseball were rigged Atlanta would definitely not keep going to the post-season. People in Atlanta don't even seem to notice, whereas people in Philly and New York throw a rather substantial fit when their teams keep losing (grundle [Smile] ).
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, any guesses on how many times the broadcasters will use the word "Sox" in the Boston/Chicago series?

In my younger days, that would have been a good drinking game. Of course, we'd have to use Tivo to watch the end of the baseball game the following morning. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page