Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » Astros are in!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Astros are in!
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! [Big Grin] From 15 games under .500 to the playoffs. Not bad for a team everybody wrote off at the first of the year. In fact someone here called me crazy to continue to root for them. Who was that?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers for the good guys!*
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GO BRAVES!

(gulp) of all the teams i did not want to see in a short series...

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go Braves indeed! It makes me feel dirty to say that, being a Phillies fan, but even I can root for a team I hate if they're going against a team that beat my team (unless we're talking about the Devils. I could never root for them. Ever)

@IrishTD. I'd still rather be facing the Astros than the Cardinals. Talk about scary...

Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather play the Cardinals in a short series. Houston has three pitchers capable of winning a game basically alone. The Braves are solid, but they are susceptible to a team like the Astros who can shut down their bats and score enough runs to win (maybe). The Cardinals have a scary lineup, but their pitching isn't so scary and a little slump is all it would take for them to lose two games early...then, who knows? Of course, not everybody can face the Padres...
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fear the Braves. Mostly because I brain farted and missed getting tickets for game 3. I got game 4 instead. The Braves could screw up my plans. How rude!
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Clemens, Petit, and Oswalt, with Wheeler, Backe, and Lidge in relief. I'll take that in a short series any day. It will seem weird for us to have the better pitching staff going up against the Braves. But yes St. Louis scares me.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kosmic_Fool
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Kosmic_Fool   Email Kosmic_Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta give it up to the White Sox; they tried soooo hard to slump their way out of the postseason and yet still made it in. Way to go, guys! [Big Grin]
Posts: 177 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right, how about some predictions!

NLCS: Braves defeat Cards

ALCS: Angels defeat Red Sox

World Series: Angels defeat Braves

Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cards are in a bit of trouble now that one of their top relievers is out...not good. Aupton clearly points out why facing the Astros in a short series is dangerous....fortunately, they can't hit so my so-so pitching staff has a chance (come on Andruw and Jeff...time to get hot again). Zyne, you should be safe. The only series sweep to start with should be the Cards over the Padres.

Predictions:
NL: Cards over Padres, Braves over Astros....Cards over Braves (our pitching will not get by that lineup)

AL: Red Sox over White Sox, Angels over Yankees....ALCS is gonna be tough....maybe the BoSox in 7 (I'm not real comfy with that one)

WS: Looks like a rematch of last year....this time it'll probably go the other way...let's give it to the Cardinals.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kosmic_Fool
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Kosmic_Fool   Email Kosmic_Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the BoSox don't get it together, and quick, they'll be a three-and-out. Good Lord, they took a beating tonight!

Go White Sox!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

My ticket saga continues: At one minute after (i.e., as soon as I could get in) the time tickets for the NLCS Houston games went on sale, there were only single tickets left. I got four single tickets to game four: one is a good seat, two are pretty good, and one is ok.
Kosmic_Fool
Member # 2076

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IrishTD
Member # 2216

Ok, so apparently I shouldn't be picking MLB series winners, eh? [Roll Eyes]
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

Wow. Who saw that marathon game? I guess in a way the Braves did force a game 5. At least inning-wise... [Wink]
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You scooped me grundle! That was really entertaining...and now I'm an extra two hours behind on my homework [Smile]
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

Go 'stros!!!
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, as a Mets fan, I'm glad the @#$% Braves are gone. Now, if Mr. Pujols can be so kind as to drill a line drive into Roger Clemens' gut , all will be well with the world.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

You mean Clemens, the awesome relief pitcher?

(How can anyone not love a team that moves its people around like the Astros do?)

IrishTD
Member # 2216

Grumble, stupid Braves, grumble. Maybe next year.....(I'm really geetting sick of that phrase in relation to Atlanta)...
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to say, that was perhaps the most annoying game I've ever seen the Braves play. We should have had that thing locked up.

Sigh.

That said, I was amazed the Braves even won the division this year. Each year, I keep thinking, "this thing's got to run it's course, how long can Bobby Cox keep producing division champs?". And then he does it again. Even with the injuries, even with an atrocious bullpen, he still manages to win games.

We just can't seem to win enough of them in a row when it really counts. Well, at least the Braves have thrown off the "Loserville" knickname for us. [Smile]

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

Don't worry. You'll lose the division next year [Wink] (Go Phils!)
IrishTD
Member # 2216

No we won't. Look at how all those rookies held up this year. Have to like how the Braves can reload from within instead of using the rest of the teams as their minor league <cough>Yankees.</cough>
aupton15
Member # 1771

At this point I think the Braves losing that division would belong on the End of Times thread of the other forum. I think they'll lose their first division title the year after Smoltz finally retires.
Zyne
Member # 117

So. I punked out, unable to trade my four separate seats for Sunday into two together. I got two tickets at scalper prices (tho I think it'll get worse towards game time) and listed my four in ebay.

But my point here is a PSA for anyone other than KE (he surely knows) and I who care: 'Stros world series tickets are going to be sold by lottery (very typical Houston policy here--egalitarian, people get equal chances to go to the games). You need to sign up between tomorrow and Friday AM to be in the lottery to get the opportunity to purchase tickets. More details at www.astros.com .

Guilty
Member # 2627

- posted      Profile for Guilty   Email Guilty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prediction: It's going to be Angels vs Cardinals, and the Cardinals will win
Posts: 50 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page