Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » Anybody else think a salary cap in Baseball would be a good thing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody else think a salary cap in Baseball would be a good thing?
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it will ever happen. But it would sure make the season more interesting.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there should not only be a salary cap, but there should be a salary floor. This might prevent teams from having "fire sales" or basically throwing in the towel year after year. Yeah, I'm talking to you, K.C.
Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see a salary range...similar to what Haggis is talking about. I understand that big market teams have some advantages in how they can spend their money, but lets try to keep everyone within a few million dollars of each other. I don't have a problem with some disparity, as long as it isn't the massive disparity we see currently. All this really seems to do is drive up the price of over-rated veterans, and keeps younger people from moving up as quickly as they could. Also, a new friend of mine is a die hard KC sports fan. He was begging for the baseball season to end this year. It would be nice if most teams could at least pretend to be competitive.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 2625

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I'd like to see a little more accountability from the owners. Right now, it appears that the smaller market teams are getting about $30-40 million in revenue sharing, but nobody knows where that money is going. If the owners in Tampa and KC are lining their pockets with it rather than putting it into the team, there is a definite problem.

Football has both a salary floor and cap and there is tremendous parity. Of course, contracts are not guaranteed and free agents changes cities in large amounts every year.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's make the salary range $50 million to $125 million...this year that would have put 8 teams below it and 1 team above it...over time I'd move the floor up until there is a decent range on it (say $30 million)...then we can start to shift the range.

I could be willing to go with a lower starting floor, but it wouldn't be much lower (no way below $40 million).

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Baseball did have a salary cap of sorts in the luxry tax. As I understand the luxry tax, any teams which spends more than a set amount in salaries has to pay a luxury tax to the league, and the more years that they are over the set amount the higher the luxury tax is.

[ October 15, 2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Dave at Work ]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 2625

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The luxury tax was meant to discourage teams from spending exorbitant amounts and it has pretty much worked, with the large exception of two teams: Yankees and Red Sox. Unless there is a hard cap, I think those two will continue to spend way beyond the rest of the league.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even the Red Sox aren't that ridiculous compared to the Yankees. I managed to find the payrolls and the Yanks are ~1.7x the Red Sox payroll (Sox are #2). Mets (payroll rank #3) are 1/2 the Yankees payroll. Disgusting.

Luxury tax isn't punishing enough. I'd bet George Stienbrenner is still making money off the Yankees, even with a huge luxury tax payment (although I'm not sure how much he pays). Hard cap is the only way to go.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page