Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » Formula One yearly recap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Formula One yearly recap
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those ill informed Americans on Ornery who still think NASCAR is auto racing, I thought I'd chime in on one of the best seasons ever in the modern era.

Renault won the constructors championship, and Alonso won the driver's championship. Shumi isnt the worlds best driver for the first time in years. It was one of the longest seasons ever including record attendence and even another multi million dollar course in Turkey. It was a season dominated by impossibly complex aero packages, and incredible reliability of engins. It was also the last season for the mighty V-10, as well as the disappearence of Sauber, Minardi, Jordan, and BAR racing teams. Seems that having a budget of 100 million dollars wasn't enough to keep these terms in touch with teams like Toyota with nearly 1/2 billion dollar budgets.

Speeds were high at all tracks, remarkably faster or as fast as the previous years engins which were not detuned like they were ths year. Thankfully no one died this year, and there were few race day collisions. All in all the abilities of the drivers were incredible. And the nationalities represented expanded yet again.

In the upcomming year we will see new teams, a full Honda factory team again, as well as the V-8 normally aspirated engin running at around 22,000 RPM and straight line speeds of around 220 MPH. Also apparently brake disks may be going ceramic, meaning the glow of carbon disk brakes may be a thing of the past. On the technology front all teams now have wind tunnels, and all have at least one super computer for development.

Overall a very good year. And for you Nascar fans, there is a reason why your NASCAR heros avidly watch F-1 and occassionaly attempt to get a super liscense. F-1 is the most harshly competitive form of motorsport on the planet in terms of driver abillity and technology. The most physically demanding race formula happens to be the WRC, but thats another story for another thread.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically, I prefer the concept of stock car racing to that of F1. Ideally, I'd like there to be races of actual stock cars with no modifications (perhaps this already exists?).

However, Aesthetically, on every front from the race itself to the whole ambiance, F1 is to NASCAR what the NFL is to the Arena League or NFL Europe.

You know when I'll be really curious about F1, though? In 2007, when Valentino joins the fray. If he can win there, he'll have to be regarded as the most superior motor-athlete ever.

BTW, you really think two-wheel races aren't more demanding than their four-wheel counterparts?

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rossi joining F1? I thought he had denied it. Quick search unable to find anything. Any ideas where story might be. I see F1 is bringing back tyre changes. I felt sorry for those out of work pit crew. Must say I found this year's F1 slightly boring. For all the moans about the great Michael Schumaker winning everthing he did have a bit of class. I mean in the wet there was no one to beat him although tyres seem his weak spot now.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denied it? That's what I read, that it's happening in 2007. Can't remember where.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I thought I had a scoop. Personally I think he should stay where he is but what do I know. I've never heard of the NFL Europe.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, if there's not 100 gallons of shine in the trunk and at least 5 cops chasing each 'participant', count me out on the spectating end. [Wink]
Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

NFL Europe is like a developemental league. PLays during the late winter and spring. About 10 teams, 4 of which are in Germany. There's a Scottish team, forget the name. Claymores, maybe?

NFL teams usually send like their 3rd QB to play there, to getsome exposure to (somewhat) competetive play.

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky

Having been to many moto gp cycle races, yes I'd admit those guys are suicidal. Saw one guy at Road Atlanta on a GP Kawasaki factory team bike have an engine seize on the main straight. The guy was catapulted to his death.

I think F-1 is a better bargin for the drivers as far as safety goes, plus they are really the only cars that approach the capabilities of motor bikes.

as to E-NFL, Galaxy, Dragons, and a few more. Games are usually pretty good

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

"I think F-1 is a better bargin for the drivers as far as safety goes, plus they are really the only cars that approach the capabilities of motor bikes."

No doubt and no doubt, but the physical demands are higher.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page