Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » The Lions start the off season early

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Lions start the off season early
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By firing Steve Marriucci and a few of his assistants.

Perhaps Dick Jauron, defensive coordinator named interim coach, will get the team on a tear and lead us the promised land of 8-8.

I'm ambivalent, Marriucci seems like a good guy, a decent coach and a Yooper, but the Lions have been so ugly this year, I can't quibble with ditching anyone.

I think it's ridiculous that the firings don't start with the guy who built a team with such a useless offense, Matt Millen, who is an embarassment anyway. Millen has basically run the Lions, who missed the playoff on a tiebreak the year before he came to the worst record in the league over that stretch. He's made some assine player personell moves, such as the idea that Bill Schroeder and Az Hakin were going to the starting wideouts, James Stewart as a replacement for Barry Sanders, Ty Detmer at quarterback. His drafting hasn't turned out great, either, a crackhead, someone who looks lost all the time and an oft-injured but very good player at wideouts. But really there's been one constant in the Lions losing and its the one guy you can't fire, William Clay Ford.

Marriucci's main sins to me were not playing to the Lions stengths and inside trying to play the game he played in San Fran.

Ah, well, the day the Lions are elminated from any realistic chance at the playoffs is always a relaxing one. Plus, Red Wings! MSU basketball!! Hooray.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a Lions fan. Have been all my life and as a Toll living in da UP eh, I gotta have a fondness for Mooch (I live 10 miles from Marquette and an hour from Iron Mountain where he grew up).

First off I don't blame Joey Harrington at all. I blame the offensive line coach and the fact that he has never had a healthy wide receiver core. The Lions fans have a long history of blaming good quarterbacks for all of the teams problems going all the way back to Gary Danielson in the early 1980's. The Lions fans are impatient and unforgiving. Two things that do nothing to instill a sense of confidence and pride the team that they claim to support.

Mooch probably was too much of a nice guy. Its been said by players before that he allowed players to get away with things that they never would have on other teams. But the real blame starts and ends with the guy who makes ALL of the hiring and drafting decisions. The guy who is no on his 5th head coach as a GM. The real blame is on Matt Millen. And while I can accept the firing of Steve I can't accept that Millen hasn't been fired.

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen, everyone who isn't Mat Millen (or the Detroit owner) seems to think that he is the main problem. Still, I though the Lions would be better than this this year.

Then again, the NFC North is full of fun and surprises. Brett Favre is shooting for the 'most consecutive games with an interception' record. The Bears have rediscovered the idea of a defence. The Vikings (my team) are, well, weird. And their touted 'best defence of the offseason' has begun to show up in a few games (admittedly, against poor teams). Maybe all teams need to give away their best WR, book a love boat, have their head coach pimping superbowl tickets and write off their starting center and QB for the season. But I don't think Minnesota are going to keep their run of good results. 8-8 or 9-7 finish at best.

Oddly enough, when I first started following football around '87 or so, it was when the Bears and Vikings were teams with dominant defences that carried them to the offseason, and Tampa, Green Bay and Detroit were perennial jokes. Aside from the lack of Tampa Bay in the division, things are beginning to come a full circle...

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a Lions fan, but I have to agree that Millen has to go. At some point you have to get some decent players (that play something other than WR)....I don't think he's done that at all.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skycountry
Member # 2526

- posted      Profile for Skycountry         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Millen want Marriucci to play Harrington over Garcia? Wasn't that a bone of contention? Now Marriucci gets fired, and they go with Garcia....?!?!

I couldn't stand Millen when he was a broadcaster....and like him even less as a GM.

My nightmare pairing of all time. Matt Millen as GM and Mike Tice as head coach. (Shudders at the thought...)

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a Lions fan, but after moving to northern Ohio I seem their games (and the Browns) nearly every week. Send your sympathy [Wink]

The O-Line is at the heart of the problem. There have been games where both Harrington and Garcia played, and neither had time to make a pass. I think the biggest difference between the two was that Harrington began to play scared of being hit, whereas Garcia kept his head up and his eyes downfield a little better. I think Harrington is too shell-shocked to continue without a pretty serious change up front, and perhaps a total change of scenery. I don't think anybody really knows if he'll be good though...and I don't think the Lions will wait to find out. I had hoped they would be better on offense (especially if I have to watch them every week). Here's to next year!

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, the trouble on offense is the line. Although, the playcalling doesn't help. I thought the Lions should have ridden Kevin Jones as far as he'd take them and just pound the ball at people this year. They have been generally pass-wacky, as Easterbrook would say, even when all the wide recievers were out.

I've thought Harrington has looked a little better since he's gotten benched. I don't really see the percentage in playing Garcia the rest of the way, though. Why not give Joey another shot with a somewhat different offense, just because the upside is so much greater if he pans out than if Garcia does?

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, if he doesn't work out you get another opportunity to take a wide receiver early in the first round! Yay!
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post 
Joey Harrington is done in Detroit. Now here is my prediction on what happens. Joey is going to go to a team like Miami, Tampa, Denver, or possibly even Green Bay and he is going to be as good as he SHOULD be.

Detroit is going to attempt to snag a veteran QB next year and draft a new QB to "mold". They're going to have to pick up some veteran offensive linemen from somewhere. But the Lions will not really improve until Millen is finally fired once and for all.

Here is my chief complaint about Matt Millen. Since taking over as the Lions GM, he is 20-55. As the head coach, Mooch was 15-28. That means that Mooch was responsible for 15 of Millins wins. He repays him by firing him, and Bill Ford allows this? The only phrase that comes to my mind is WTF? Millen has gone through FOUR head coaches and is now on his 5th. Is the problem your coaches or is it the GM?

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page