Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » Chemistry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chemistry
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big believer in chemistry. But the 27 Yanks hated each other. However, I think it can take a good team and make them great. Miracle on Ice anybody? I know when I played with guys I liked and who I knew had faith in me I was a much better ball player. One of the reasons I quit playing pro-softball (making 15,k playing weekends and flying around the country) was because all the guys cared about was there stats and their contracts (plus I hated flying every weekend and I missed my family, I don't know how real pros do it). There was no more team spirit. No caring about your teammate. I've read in war that the reason we win so much, and the reason our guys fight so well, is because they don't want to let the guy next to them down. That's what I'm talking about.

Agree, disagree?

KE

[ January 09, 2006, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think communication is the most important thing that comes from chemistry. When you respect the people you play with (or work with, or whatever) it is easier to discuss problems or make adjustments, because everyone knows what the goal is. When the goals are different for each individual, like individual stats, you lose some of that trust in adjusting your gameplan. I think this has played a big part in championships for the Spurs, Pistons and Patriots. I don't think it's necessarily important that you like each other, but you definitely have to know you're on the same page. Otherwise your teammates don't have much incentive to try to make you better. I don't think this trumps overwhelming talent, but it certainly doesn't hurt if you can combine the two.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page