Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum   
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Archives » NCAA Tournament

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NCAA Tournament
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curses! We talked LAST YEAR about having an Ornery pool and I forgot until this minute. So, I guess we can still pick our Final Four and Champs for fun. I have Villanova, Illinois, UCLA and Texas in the final four, and Villanova beating Texas in the final.

Next year we HAVE to set up a pool here.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want GWU to win its first two games (UNC Wilmington tonight, CBS at 7:10pm eastern time -- if you're local enough). Yeah, beating Duke would warm my heart for a really, really, really long time.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pulling for wisconsin as always, but if they win they probably run into villanova in round 2. So... that'll be that, unless something WEIRD happens.

BC might come out of that region, knocking off nova next weekend.

Great games so far, btw.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Yet again, GWU wins in overtime! After a great comeback too! (NCAA Sports' website shows archived games and streaming audio and video, so check it out if you get the chance)

We'll be facing Duke (probably. They're not doing impressively against #16 Southern at all) on Saturday afternoon.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Nova winning it all. IIRC my final four is UConn, Duke, 'Nova, UCLA. I'll be rooting for my Irish to win the "Not-In" or "Noone Important" Tournament.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

I really hope GWU knocks out Duke (who played very sloppy for long stretches last night) and shocks the hell out of everyone's office pool.
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I originally had LSU knocking Duke out...but I just couldn't sell myself on it.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Boooo... looks like we lose.
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Well, it was a great season that ended with a whimper. Everyone who's followed the Colonials knows we didn't play at our level.

The growing consensus seems to be:
1) The refs favored the Blue Devils. No doubt, although it could have been much worse.
2) GW made a lot of stupid errors, particularly in ball-handling. When you hand over the ball over and over again on travelling, double dribbles, and carrying over... you're giving away the game.
3) GW just didn't put the ball through the hoop. Shot accuracy was a killer.
4) Duke, honestly, played at a much higher level than they have in a little while now. They played a much more inspired defense and they got the ball out to players not named Redick and Williams for a change.
5) GWU didn't play with nearly as much intensity and energy as they played with for basically the entire season. Yes, constant fouls and ball handling problems can slow you down, but they needed to go on a run like they had on Thursday. Instead we trudged uphill all game long.
6) We could have given these guys a real run for their money and probably even beaten them if we had just found our usual pace and shot at what, 40%?
7) Great season, we probably won't have quite as good a team next year, our seeding sucked, and it's not a good way to end the season. But oh well.

philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Florida will be in the Final Four.

They first did it in 1994, six years later they did it in 2000, it has been six years since that.

Also, I played in the pep band for the 94 and 2000 teams, and I got to play at a few games for this years team.

Impossible for them not to make it to the Final Four.

Posts: 3392 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Illinois got hosed by the officials. Other then that, I haven't really seen any officiating that was real questionable.
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

You get to watch the GW game? I could give you a list.
Everard
unregistered

Yeah, I did watch some of it, and while I saw some bad calls, they were not systematically bad like the Illinois/Washington game was.
IrishTD
Member # 2216

Quoting myself...
quote:
I originally had LSU knocking Duke out...but I just couldn't sell myself on it.
Why, oh why, did I not stick with the original pick!?!?
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

I dunno.

Poor Duke.

aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the end of George Mason and UConn. I was glad that UConn finally got bounced, not because I particularly dislike them, but because I would hate to see them get to the Final Four by playing badly against weak opponents. They needed to get bounced before they accidentally won the whole thing. Plus I had Illinois coming out of that bracket, so I need to make sure everybody with UConn picked gets screwed too. Plus it would be a better matchup for Nova, if they can get by Florida (not looking good at the moment).
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

I'm just glad that DC basketball did so well this year. It's because I'm here. Obviously.
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as UConn is out of it, I don't really care [Smile]
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"So Give a Cheer for the
Orange and Blue,
Waving Forever!
Forever Pride of Old Florida,
May She Droop Never.
Well Sing a Song for the Flag Today,
Cheer for the Team at Play!
On to the Goal,
We'll Fight our Way for
Florida!"

UCLA looked really good last night.

Posts: 3392 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

George Mason is out. Too bad [Frown] .
philnotfil
Member # 1881

Great game last night, if you are a Gator fan. They just dominated UCLA. Didn't go to sleep until about 3am. Gainesville was having a lot of fun last night.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page