Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » "Justifiable Murder" by KE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Justifiable Murder" by KE
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thread for the discussion and critique of "Justifiable Murder" Chapter 1 by KE.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally read - sorry it took so long, KE.

It's gripping, but I found the ending disappointing. It's...there's no twist. Just that twist of the knife in the gut, that is, but it's a kind of predictable one. I was thinking, maybe it would turn out he didn't see right and it was all a terrible misunderstanding and in his action to save the boy from a danger that didn't actually exist, got him killed. Maybe some other twist, but...

That's if we take this as a stand-alone short story. As say an opening chapter that sets up a tale of revenge it's fine.

But it's good. The mood it set up well, the broadstroke characterization works, although there are spots where it's too coarse imo. I'm not familiar with "pa pa", so that was kinda jarring. "papa" I know. But that may well be just me.

"the Texas sky" is kind of a cliche. I understand it happens in Houston, but that's just become a cliche, much more so than "the (any other of the 50 states) sky". Is the sky really that striking - and different - in Texas? I've never been. [Smile]

There's a bunch of punctuation issues that I need to go over the story again for.

That's it for now.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

"As say an opening chapter that sets up a tale of revenge it's fine."

Thanks, that is exactly what it is. Definitely not a stand alone story.

KE

Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is the sky really that striking - and different - in Texas? I've never been.
Having driven through Texas, I think it's because the land is so boring the sky is interesting by default. [Wink]

j/k

Posts: 553 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everybody agrees that this opening chapter is fine.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Wow, rare praise from our most demanding member [Smile] Now you really do need to continue this, KE.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Yeah, thanks Rich. [Smile] [Cool] And, Ricky, I have continued it, I have almost half of the book written. It is the thing I've been working on longest.

KE

[ May 15, 2005, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page