Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » "Area 51: A New Illumination" by Shane Roe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Area 51: A New Illumination" by Shane Roe
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread for the discussion and critique of "Area 51: A New Illumination" by Shane Roe.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Shane,

Great story! I have no criticisms. My only problem is that I wish there was more to it. What there was was very well written and engaging. It drew me in immediately. This is the first "flash" story I've ever read, so I take it that the brevity is part of the genre?

KE

[ May 31, 2005, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

hywer
Member # 2046

- posted      Profile for hywer   Email hywer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must concurr with KE here. The only thing I really had is that I wanted to know more! But it looks as if that was part of the point. *shrug*

(We need a "shrug" graemlin.)

Posts: 205 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Shane,

Great story! I have no criticisms. My only problem is that I wish there was more to it. What there was was very well written and engaging. It drew me in immediately. This is the first "flash" story I've ever read, so I take it that the brevity is part of the genre?

KE

Thanks, KE. Yes, with flash sometimes detail is sacrificed to brevity. The trick is to keep the clarity.

Shane

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hywer:
I must concurr with KE here. The only thing I really had is that I wanted to know more! But it looks as if that was part of the point. *shrug*

(We need a "shrug" graemlin.)

Thanks. Well, the thing about it is, is leads to perhaps further stories on this group of people errr, aliens.

Shane

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Shane,

Could you please give us a definition of a "flash" story, and what you are trying to achieve in writing one? Thanks.

KE

Shane Roe
Member # 1542

Flash fiction is generally described as a story with a beginning, middle, and end told in as few words as possible. There are various divisions even within this area of short story writing. Most say that between 500-1000 words is flash fiction, and then there are macro-fiction and micro-fiction, both below 500 words, but I'm not sure exactly which is which. There's actually an article on flash written by Chick Lang at the website I mentioned in my other post. Here's the link to The Marquee Muse. Just click on the "contents" button on the left to find Chick's article on Flash Fiction. http://themusemarquee.tripod.com
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

I should add that what a writer tries to achieve in a flash story is the same effect as in a longer story--to enlighten the reader or make the reader pause and think--or even sheer entertainment. All this in as few words as possible. Sort of a Spartan undertaking.

Shane

hywer
Member # 2046

- posted      Profile for hywer   Email hywer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it did accomplish a good little spark of enlightenment, so good work! [Smile]
Posts: 205 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

quote:
Originally posted by hywer:
Well, it did accomplish a good little spark of enlightenment, so good work! [Smile]

Thanks!
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, with flash sometimes detail is sacrificed to brevity. The trick is to keep the clarity.
You accomplished the trick perfectly. Thanks for sharing Shane. I've been running various things through my mind ever since we got this forum up and running about what to right, but haven't thought about how to approach it. I now think I just might give this "flash" genre a shot. [Smile]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

Well, you should, Daruma. It's not time consuming, and there are many venues clamoring for flash pieces--our short attention spans these days, I guess. Thanks for your kind words.

Shane

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page