Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » Ever tried "Spicy Green Iguana"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ever tried "Spicy Green Iguana"?
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems to be a great site for finding that all-elusive market for your stories, etc.: Spicy Green Iguana

Check it out.

Shane

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it count as being 'published' if you don't get paid? I mean, can you still consider yourself a 'published' writer?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good question, KE. Published, yes, but is it legitimate or of any value? I think if it's not vanity press (someone asking you to pay to see your work in print), then it's still legit, though to put your work on the web in a non-paying market is certainly not as prestigious as placing it in something like Asimov's. A quick search of the above mentioned link led me to both paying and non-paying. If a writer's goal is to see their work in print--then non-paying does the job for them. If the goal is fame and glory--maybe a good paying market is the only one that's worthwhile.

Shane

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm asking more from the "will future publishers view me the same if I am published in nonpaying magazines rather than paying ones?"

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

Honestly KE, I think all publishers are looking for is a story that rocks them. There are some great venues to get your work in print that don't pay a cent. I think they're of value. Alien Skin Magazine (alienskinmag.com) pays five bucks per story--not much, but they're a quality organization and they don't just publish anything that comes into them. I think it helps to be published in a non-paying market, provided the market is well-regarded. The main thing is though, that the writing has to do the selling. The story is key (it must be original--or some very imaginative new take on an old theme), the characters must be believable, and then you need to connect with the right editor at the right time.

Shane

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page