Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » "Thou Shalt Not" Anthology

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Thou Shalt Not" Anthology
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there are quite a few religious people here, so I thought you might be interested in this anthology I saw on pages 6-7 of Science Fiction and Fantasy Newsletter.

Basically, it is a short-story anthology of horror and dark crime stories based on the Ten Commandments. Payment is five cents a word for stories 1000-5000 words, and six cents a word for flash stories under 1000 words. Deadline is July 31, 2005. Submissions must be mailed.

For further details, see the SFFW newsletter above or here.

Posts: 8153 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had trouble with the pdf. Maybe I need to reload Acrobat. Anybody else have trouble? WS, if you get a chance could you quote the basics here? Thanks.

Never mind, I got it. Thanks for the link.

KE

[ June 10, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I agree with Christine, Franc, and Jaina, dialog is the best part of a story.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

From the link provided by Wayward Son.

Self Publishing Web Sites

www.creativemindspress.com/misc.htm
www.publishersweekly.com
www.parapub.com/statistics/
www.selfpublishing.lifetips.com
www.sfwa.org/beware/printondemand.html

First place winner receivers $2,000, publication in GLIMMER TRAIN STORIES, and 20 copies of the issue in which it is published. Second and third-place winners receive $1,000/$600, respectively, and acknowledgment in that issue. To submit your stories, go to our site, www.glimmertrainpress.com, log in, and click on FICTION OPEN. Reading fee is $15 per story. Entries will be accepted through June 30th. Winners will be called by October 15th. Top 25 will be emailed to all participants by that date. Please let your email provider (ISP) know that you want emails from glimmertrainpress.com and glimmertrain.com so we can reach you."

The Xerox company "is on a nationwide search for the best work of unpublished fiction to demonstrate the power of digital print-on-demand as smart alternative to traditional publishing. The grand-prize winner will receive $5,000 and 100 paperbacks copies of their novel digitally printed an d fully bound." For more information and to enter, please visit www.xeroxaspiringauthors.com

The 11th CHIAROSCURO Short Story Contest opens "June 1st (12:00 a.m.)" and closes "June 30th (11:59 p.M) (EST)". First prize is "publication in ChiZine: Treatments of Light and Shade in Words at five (5) cents per word (USD), plus the winner's choice of six (6) selected Leisure horror titles. 2nd prize: Publication in ChiZine: Treatments of Light and Shade in Words at five (5) cents per word (USD), plus the winner's choice of four (4) selected Leisure horror titles. 3rd prize: Publication in Chizine: Treatments of Light and Shade in Words at five (5) cents per word (USD), plus the winner's choice of two (2) selected Leisure horror titles. There will also be three honorable mentions." Entries must be dark, well-written, no longer than 4000 words, sent as attachments in rich text format or MS Word format to this email address only: contest@chizine.com (if you send submissions to any other address, they'll be deleted unread). Do not send reprints, simultaneous submissions or multiple submissions. Winners and those receiving honorable mention will be announced by July 31, 2005, and publication will be in issue #26 (October/December 2005).

I typed all this by hand since you can't copy and paste from a pdf file, so beware typos, etc. I did the best I could but you should double check dates prizes offered etc. Knight Ender is not responsible for any mistakes made in this post. Or anywhere else for that matter. [Wink]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

The anthology is THOU SHALT NOT. "Two tablets, ten commandments. They've all been broken. Let's break them again...Thou Shalt Not is an anthology for stories of horror and dark crime in which someone breaks one of the Ten Commandments with dire, deadly, or disastrous results. We're not looking for stories set in Bible times or stories necessarily of a religious bent. We want contemporary stories with unique treatments of ancient premises set in stone. And please, no stories with a priest as the main character. Tales of murder, adultery, and covetousness are dime a dozen, so we're going to be very choosy concerning stories about the "easy" commandments. Your chances for acceptance are better if you submit a story for the "hard" commandments... What happens when someone discovers a new god and decides to worship it? When someone becomes enamored with a graven image? What could possibly transpire by working--or forcing someone else to work--on a day set aside for rest? Send us your best work. The anthology will contain 100,000+ words of original horror and dark crimes stories of up to 5000 words each (2500-3500 preferred)." Do not send previously published works, multiple submissions, electronic submissions, and be sure to include a SASE. "In your conver letter, briefly introduce yourself and mention the commandment your story is about. Limit on longer story per author, but up to two flash pieces (under 1000 words). Your manuscript must follow the format guidelines listed under Manuscript Format on the DCP Submission page. And you must adhere to our content standards... DCP's books entertain readers with meaningful and decent dark fiction-spellbinding stories without adult language and erotica. DCP books give readers an entertaining, thrilling, scary, imaginative read, leaving them with something of moral value to ponder." Deadline is July 31, 2005, and "accepted responses will be mailed in August 2005. Publication is slated for Spring 2006." They are buying "First World Publication Rights in the English language for a term of five years" for which they are paying "five cents a word for stories 1000-5000 words, six cents a word for flash stories under 1000 words (by word processor count)... on acceptance of final draft of story (the editorial process begins in August). Payment is an advance on a pro rata (based on final published page count) share of 30% of net revenue." Send stories through regular mail to Lee A. Howard, Editor, TSN Anthology, Dark Cloud Press, P.O. Box 99, McKeesport, PA 15134-0099. Content standards and other information is on their website at www.darkcloudpress.com/TSN_antho.htm

With the same disclaimers and caveats from me, KE. [Smile] More to come later.

KE

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oo, sounds like fun. Do they want single-commandment stories, or combined ones, like someone stealing his father and mother's idols on the sabbath? [Smile]
Posts: 41923 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's how the Christians count them:

quote:
"And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God…

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbour's house; you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbour's.'

Here's the thing, though. They aren't actually numbered like that in the scriptures. The Jews, IIRC, count "I am the Lord thy God" as the first commandment, and combine two other ones.
Posts: 41923 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

What are flash pages?
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot the Catholics and Lutherans, who combine the first two and then split the last one. (I never did understand why coveting your neighbor's wife and servants was different than coveting his ox, donkey, etc. [Smile] )

Pete, no they don't want combined commandments, although I would love to see your idea. [Big Grin]

Flash pages? do you mean flash fiction (under 1000 words)?

[ June 12, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

Posts: 8153 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Flash pages? do you mean flash fiction (under 1000 words)?
I was referring to something in the instructions. Is that what it means?

quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
You forgot the Catholics and Lutherans, who combine the first two and then split the last one. (I never did understand why coveting your neighbor's wife and servants was different than coveting his ox, donkey, etc. [Smile] )

Pete, no they don't want combined commandments, although I would love to see your idea. [Big Grin]

Well, if coveting is split then I guess you could make a story about coveting his neighbor's wife's ass.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone submitting to this?

As it seems to be still open, and I have a whole day to myself coming up, I'm thinking of trying something on #2.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

I'm working on a story for #2, too (since it also seems the hardest to me).
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know if there have been any acceptances since the 5-28 update?

I am also tempted by #9... I like short pieces, so I may try more than one, at or around 1000 words.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OldMountainGoat
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for OldMountainGoat   Email OldMountainGoat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm writing a #3. Hope I'm not stretching it too much. I'm hanging on the newer translation used on the Dark Cloud site. So instead of:

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

I'm running with:

3. “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.”

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page