Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » Rules for Writers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rules for Writers
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Remember to never split an infinitive.

2. The passive voice should never be used.

3. Do not put statements in the negative form.

4. Verbs have to agree with their subject.

5. Proofread carefully to see if yo words out.

6. If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.

7. A writer must not shift your point of view.

8. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.

9. Remember, too, a preposition is a terrible word to end a sentence with.

10. Don't overuse exclamation marks!!

11. Place pronouns as close as possible, especially in long sentences, as of 10 or more worsd, to their antecedents.

12. Writing carefully, dangling participles must be avoided.

13. If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.

14. Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing metaphors.

15. Avoid trendy locutations that sound flaky.

16. Everyone should be careful to use a singular pronoun with singular nouns in their writing.

17. Always pick on the correct idiom.

18. The adverb always follows the verb.

19. Last but not least, avoid cliches like the plague; seek viable alternatives.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was funny on so many levels.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it!
Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automath
Member # 2720

- posted      Profile for Automath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I have that in my Favourites folder as The Best Site Ever. I had a feeling that might be what this was when seeing the Topic Title.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RP.
Member # 2840

- posted      Profile for RP.   Email RP.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot one: Always avoid alliteration and assonance.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page