Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » OSC's Intergalactic Medicine Show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OSC's Intergalactic Medicine Show
Kosmic_Fool
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Kosmic_Fool   Email Kosmic_Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check it out

I don't know how much any of you write genre fiction and would care about something like this, but I thought I should bring it to the attention of the board.

Posts: 177 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've bought rights to the first issue - and it's great. There are bits and pieces of prose in the stories that demonstrate the authors' relative inexperience, but they're so infrequent and easily forgivable that the results are still excellent.

One of the great things about these magazines is that you get to see people experiment, and sometimes fail. You don't get that so much with professional writers - they've made their mistakes already.

I'm holding my breath for the online submission feature to become active. The terms are really, really good. I've always liked OSC's very vocal opinions on authors' rights, and it looks like he's making every effort to translate them into action here. The Medicine Show requires 1 year of exclusive rights, and thereafter partial rights. They don't want you to transfer your rights - they just want to make some money for a year.

Also, they've got this cool "new content" thing going. "Every issue of the Intergalactic Medicine Show will have content added to it until the next issue is published. For instance, new installments of some of the columns and of the serialized novel will be added during the coming weeks. Entirely new columns and features may also be added." OSC is taking advantage of the online medium to add some value.

If for no other reason, we ought to subscribe to support this kind of excellent behavior.

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayne
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for stayne   Email stayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I took the plunge and submitted "Soothsayer" to IGMS. I am trying to be very realistic and assume I won't make the cut, though of course I can always dream, at least until cold, hard reality slaps me in the face. [Wink] Anyone else going to give it a shot?
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I submitted "Dystopian Vacation." Should be fun. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayne
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for stayne   Email stayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I didn't make the cut. I was _very_ disappointed to get nothing but a form rejection. A couple of brief lines on why the piece doesn't work are _not_ cost prohibitive, especially when it helps writers tune their filters to match a particular market.

It's not the rejection that bothers me. Clearly, one has to accept that simple reality. It's the fact that so many editors can't take the minimal effort to throw a noob a bone and say "This didn't work for me because...."

Honestly, I think I have had enough. The more I see of the short SF business, the more I realize that I don't really want to be part of it after all.

Posts: 594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Form rejections are part of the short SF business (and probably the long SB business, too, for all that I know). Editors will tell you that the sheer volume of submissions means that they must minimize the time they take to respond, or else that is what they will be spending most of their time doing. Even if it's jotting down a single line like "This didn't work for me..."

It is not the job of an editor to criticize a story. Their job is to publish the magazine with the best stories they can find. If they decide to take some time to give a bit of advice, that is philanthropy on their part, because they aren't getting paid for it.

Besides, you might be better off without it. I still remember Marion Zimmer Bradley's form-letter rejection years ago, where she said that she didn't care if my characters "lived or died or were swallowed by a volcano." Frankly, "unsuitable for us at this time" would have hurt less. [Smile]

[ December 05, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayne
Member # 1944

Wayward, I am going to pick this up in another thread. I don't want to give the impression I am bagging on IGMS or OSC. He gets enough abuse here as it is, and I want to avoid linking any criticisms of 'how things are done in publishing' to his work.
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it to late to submit to this thing?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page