Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » Freelancing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freelancing
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any of y'all tried freelance writing, either paid or unpaid?
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayne
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for stayne   Email stayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd always assumed that most writers were freelance. You know, write something, send it off to some publisher, maybe they'll buy it, probably not? By that definition, several of us are freelance writers, though I certainly haven't managed to sell anything yet. Could you clarify a bit on what you mean?
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean making your living primarily through freelance writing, no. (I wouldn't even think of it until I had a hefty freelance business going.)

Otherwise, what stayne said. Submitting unsolicited stories is freelancing (if I understand the term correctly), which is what most writers do. So if you've ever submitted a story for publication, you've freelanced.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayne
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for stayne   Email stayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, there are some pretty famous writers who have day jobs. Glen Cook, for one.
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidA
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both paid and unpaid. I've been able to publish a few short stories, and numerous reviews, interviews, and articles for various publications. This nets me at best a couple hundred bucks a year, so obviously it's not how I make a living. But it does get one's names out, and helps one to build up a resume of publications.

You don't need an agent to publish in magazines, online, etc. but if you want to publish a book it's pretty much essential.

[ November 03, 2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: KidA ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You don't need an agent to publish in magazines, online, etc. but if you want to publish a book it's pretty much essential.
I've heard though, that you should find an interested editor first, then you have the power to get an agent. If you already have an editor that wants to look at your book, then an agent will be more than happy to represent it. At least that's what I've heard. I'm dying to know the real truth from anyone that's had actual experience in such things.
Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once put my myself through the inexplicable torture of "The Stations of Solitude" by Alice Koller.

Besides the mind numbing depression of the woman, what stuck with me is her realisation that to avoide her constant worry over work (she was, obviously, a writer):

Instead of Looking for a new freelance opportunity as soon as she finished her current contract, she should line up jobs for herself ahead of time.

So, wherever her interests lay, she would come up with an article she wanted to write. She would then have a storehouse of possibilites to offer magazine publishers, and she sent letters to pitch them on her ideas. In her letters, she also made it clear she was open to assignments.

Included: Resume and sample article.

For this one gem alone, the shuddering horror of slogging my way through that grey morass was well worth it.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidA
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've heard though, that you should find an interested editor first, then you have the power to get an agent. If you already have an editor that wants to look at your book, then an agent will be more than happy to represent it. At least that's what I've heard. I'm dying to know the real truth from anyone that's had actual experience in such things.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's always good to have a freind on the inside. But I think most book publishers won't read manuscripts unless they are sent by an agent.

An exception to this would be small press. I just sent a novel to a smallish publishing house in LA that was having an open call for submissions. My thesis advisor from grad school (a published novelist) wrote a letter of recommendation for me. I'll let you know if that works out or not (If it does, I will have a hard time shutting-up about it, I'm sure... [Big Grin] )

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shane Roe:
quote:
OSC Answered this question back on Hatrack, here's the link.

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1999-01-29.shtml

See also:
http://www.hatrack.com/writers/news/tor_submissions_guidelines.shtml

[ December 14, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Kit ]

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page