Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » Zyne is Taking Over OWW!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zyne is Taking Over OWW!
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the thread says; Zyne will be taking over Mod duties for the OWW forum.

I'd like to thank Zyne very much for stepping in and taking over for me. With my new work schedule I just couldn't do the forum justice. As Zyne has been a valuable part of it from the begining, I know she will do an excellent job.

I'm sure Zyne will be replying to this post soon, or starting a thread detailing how she wants to handle things from here on out. Such as how often she will accept and put out submissions, the email address she wishes y'all to use, and any changes she wants to make.

I will be turning over all members email addresses and as many submissions as I can find to her. However, since I have had to replace this computer system and have lost some files she may need y'all to resend some of the older stuff for the new members perusal.

I would like to thank all of you for participating and for making my job so easy. I hope you all treat Zyne as well as you have treated me. I'd also like to publicly thank the Mods, old and new for their help. And I'd especially like to thank the Cards for making this all possible.

It has been fun and I've learned a lot. I will still be around participating, and I look forward to reading y'alls stuff and hopefully submitting some of my own.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi [Smile]

My email is dissidentzyne@gmail.com . My computer died a few months ago, and I don't have all of (any of?) the old submissions. If anyone out there has them, I'd really appreciate it if you'd send them to me.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sundays are my best day for free time. Any objections to stuff coming out on Sundays?

I wonder if it would be appropriate at this point for submissions to get distributed every other week, or perhaps even only once a month. Thoughts?

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been hesitant to jump in on this, because like everyone else, I have a crowded schedule. I think the model in the Internet Writing Workshop (?) worked well.

Submissions were weekly. You had to submit once a month, and critique once a week. There was flexibility, so you could be productive in bursts, but it was enough obligation so you actually had to get the assignment done. [Smile]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as we don't get overloaded, I'm in. If we start getting numerous submissions, would it be helpful to form smaller groups and therefore have a few less submissions on our plates? In this way, we might be able to offer a bit better critique, as well.

After the critiques are complete, the authors could submit their re-write for a final critique.

How does this sound?

[ July 19, 2006, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

FWIW, submitting something polished enough not to waste everyone's time once a month would be very difficult for me, at most times. Once a quarter to submit would be more feasible as a minimum IMO, while those who wanted to be read more frequently could submit more frequently.

What is overload for y'all on reading submissions?

KnightEnder
unregistered

How many are you going to put out at a time? One a month? Two stories a month? One story and one poem? I'm not suggesting just asking.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I'm working on a new SS right now.

KE

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always read this topic as:

Zyne is taking over!!! OWW!!!

But I am sure that is not what is intended...

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can successfully read and comment on one or two stories a week (depending on length).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

I have received no submissions to distribute.

Anyone want to submit for a distribution that will take place the first week of August?

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey. I used to write, and then I got this darn job that only lets me write proposals, curricula, and short entries here.

<sigh. shrug.>

Anyway, I always have ideas for stories and books, just never write them.

Usually the ideas have been done before -- I just don't know it because I haven't read them yet. (There is a small bit of satisfaction in knowing you've had an idea that someone else had and was able to turn into a good story, despite the dual disappointments of not being original and not getting it done.)

So, here's a germ of an idea, in case y'all want to play with it's viability. It came out of the "Life" thread over in the General Comments section:

We can't let people's bodies live forever, but we can keep a brain alive for much, much longer than humans typically survive. So anyone who can afford it gets plugged into a internet supported forum-- maybe like this one.

Yeah, there are Vanilla Sky similarities, but here are some differences:

1) You'd know that's where you are.
2) You could contact the "living brain" moderator (or whatever) and be moved to another forum.
3) Maybe you could go to different fora.
4) Maybe you'd have free reign of the Internet.
5) Maybe you'd be stuck in a forum with other dead body/living brain types.
6) Etc.

So, what's the story?

And if it's been done before, let me know. I want to read it! [Smile]

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

As long as the brains eventually developed mobility and shplorched their way together, sliding into and among one another...
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eeeeewww <shudder>
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 407

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll submit. How much and where do I send it?
Posts: 971 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Well, how do we solve the problem of how a brain adapts to absolutely no sensory input whatsoever? My first guess is that at least half of the applicants would end up going mad.

It may turn into a horror story, you know. Still game?

Zyne
Member # 117

submit what you want, to: dissidentzyne@gmail.com
canadian
Member # 1809

"The problem we've discovered is that the subjects we've hooked up turn out to have either gone insane through sensory deprivation or oare caught up in a feedback loop."

"Feedback loop?"

"They're dreaming. And because they have no nervous system to speak of, there is no outside stimulus to wake them up."

"So they imagine their stimulus?"

"Precisely"

"Have you tried electrical currents? Shocking them into awareness?"

"Yes, we've even physically manipulated them. the only difference we've seen is a slight change in activity, but it still reads as r.e.m. sleep."

They had made it to the storage lab. A low, long chamber that stretched out hundreds of metres in any direction. The space was dissected by glass containment units, resembling walls more than anything else. The brains were kept suspended in a nutrient fluid with a small electrical current running through it. They seemed suspended rather that floating, three per column, each column spaced a meter apart. The transparency of the conatinment walls gave them the image of thousands of brains hovering in formation, the soft, ambient lighting suggesting late evening, the sun just having sunk under the horizon.

Gibson shuddered.

"I've never been in here before," he half whispered, "It's like something..."

"Holy?" Tarnstrom smirked

Gibson laughed. It came out sounding too loud, too harsh, and eneded abruptly.

"Well, I suppose so, but I wouldn't have put it exactly that way."

"Why not? What you are feeling is perfectly natural. At the moment, we are broadcasting on a frequency designed to stimulate the subjects' God Modules. Do you know what I'm talking about, Mr. Gibson?"

"I believe so. At least, I have a general idea of the theory. Something to do with nerve bundles in the frontal lobe?"

"Close enough. Some people tend to be more sensitive to it that others, in fact a few of our team won't even come in here. They have strange dreams afterward."

"And you?"

"I'm hardly aware of it. I suppose that's what makes me a good scientist."

"So are these all of the...subjects?"

Gibson was having trouble concentrating. He glanced over his shoulder, but no one was there, despite his certainty that someone was watching him. He wasn't troubled by the feeling, it was actually quite comforting in a strange way. The lights, the soft hum of the nutrient filtration system, the smell of Dr. Tarnstrom's perfume, they all combined to lull him into an almost meditative state.

"Not at all! We have two dozen such chambers and then there are the individual research stations where we examine some of our anomolies."

"Tell me about these anomlies."

It seemed as if he were more alive than he had ever been before. As Hilma went on in her clinical, yet eager description of some of the more interesting subjects they had under study at the moment, Gibson imagined he was hearing a growing roar of sound. The lights seemed to be getting brighter, and the room was disappearing into a gentle mist.

- Peter.

"Hello?"

- Peter.

"I'm right here. Who are you?"

- Peter.

"Yes, What do you want? Where am I?"

- I have brought you to me that you might know that I love you and I have a mission for you.

Paul's chest suddenly filled with a warmth that touched him so intimately that he began to weep. Whether out of gratitude or fear he didn't know.

"Am I hallucinating?"

Gibson begain to concentrate on what was happening. As he did so, he remebered that he was in a Brain Chamber...someone was with him...he began to feel the ground under his back and he was aware of someone kneeling over him, fingers at his neck.

- Peter.

"Leave me alone, I know you're an hallucination."

- I AM THAT I AM!! HEAR ME!!

The assault was too much. Gibson felt his pysche recoil from the urgency of the demand. His will crumbled and he opened himself up completely to whatever was about to happen.

He awoke coughing in a brightly lit corridor, Dr. Tarnstrom kneeling beside him, with two lab assistants looking on concerned. He sat up.

"What happened?"

"That's what I'd like to know," Tarnstrom said. "Are you okay?"

"I think so. Let me just get my bearings for a moment."

Dr. Tarnstrom sat back on the floor beside him. She directed a speculative look at Gibson.

"What do you remeber from just now?"

"I think I heard a voice. I'm - I'm not sure."

"Mr. Gibson, you have the job." She stood up and brushed off her white lab coat and pushed back a strand of blonde hair that had escaped from the bun at her neck. "Come see me in my office in about an hour. Until then, my assistants will take care of you. Please see Mr. Gibson to the infirmary and then provide him with some food."

Hilma Tarnstrom walked through the sliding door behind her, the click of her shoes ending abruptly as the door closed behind her.

-----

The colours coalesced into blackness. The personality that had once been encased in a body tried to see, to move, to brush whatever was in front of it's eyes away. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

How long it lived in darkness, it didn't know. It didn't sleep, it didn't feel hunger, it tried to think, to remeber, but that was imposible. What the energy that tried to do theses things was unaware of was that it had been erased. Whoever it had been was gone, purged, deleted. The intent was to have a fully developed brain in which to load data...or at least attempt to load data.

Suddenly a flash!

And another!

Another!

Who am I?

---

"Your move."

"I know it! Back off, I'm thinking."

This elicited a humour burst from her companion. She returned it in a milder form. After all, what else could they do here?

She remembered the day she died, and the day she was born again into this new existence. She had been told that she would be connected to an experimental Web. NeuroNet, the man had said. Her family would be given enough money to live their lives out in comfort if she would just sign here...

So she did. What would it matter anyway? If it worked, at least she's still have her memories (she hoped). If it didn't, well...dead was dead no matter how you sliced it.

They said they would be in contact with her once she was hooked up. It had seemed like years ago. She remebered become aware again, waiting patiently for someone to tell her what she should do now but no one ever did. So she began exploring. It wasn't like she could take a walk or anything like that. It was more like holding her breath and pushing outward. Like blowing herself up from the inside like a balloon. The problem was, the bigger she got, the thinner she got, It was harder to remember what she was doing or why.

And then she touched something else. She retracted instantly in confusion and panic. What the hell was that?

She felt a presence growing closer. If she still had a nose, she imagined she could smell it. It brushed up beside her. Softly. Carefully.

Eagerly.

----

Probably not what you had in mind, but whddya think so far of the initial brainstorming session?

[ July 29, 2006, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

I like the idea. [Smile]

IMO needs more description. (And I usually don't like as much as most books seem to have.) But at least a little so I can get my bearings. Description of room, a few character traits (tall, pretty, smell). Just my opinion.

"The intent was to have a fully developed brain in which to load data...or at least attempt to load data."

That part seems out of place. IMO you should find some other way to introduce this information. (But don't just erase it, it seems important.) Maybe have the scientist say it?

Small spelling mistake at very first. No big deal. Zyne can fix it even after your time runs out, if you ask.

KE

[ July 29, 2006, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Canadian, there was some concern with posting to the web. Copyright problems or something. I don't have a problem with it, but others seem to think it was important. Just FYI.

KE

canadian
Member # 1809

Ah, I see. I just started typing and then posted without bothering to spellcheck or edit. As it would simply be a small part of a fully finished story, I thought just a bare-bones 'brainstorm' & snippet it would be okay to share. Good point though as I know publishers don't want to accept anything that has been "self-published" over the net.

I see what you're saying about keeping aspects of the description more in line with a particualr continuity section. Good point.

And the description thing is important. I tend to leave things very stark, relying on the reader to paint in the details, but I think I overdo it. I just get impatient to move on.

[Wink]

cperry
Member # 1938

But hey, Canadian, if you can get the ball rolling, you might find a co-author (KE?) who would fill in any gaps.

Personally, I loved it as an intro. Oh, the places you could go with this!

(Oh, to have the stamina to make it happen myself!)

KnightEnder
unregistered

A Canadian/Texan writing team? That would either be a really big hit or a really big flop. [Smile]

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

Oh, I predict hit! (see, you gotta figure in my seed of an idea -- that gives you Florida and Virginia too)
canadian
Member # 1809

hmmm...I might be persuaded.

As Terry Pratchett says: to do an impossible job, merely break it down to improbable parts. Then break those down into excruciatingly difficult parts, then break those down into merely agonizing parts!

What could be easier?

[ August 03, 2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

cperry
Member # 1938

precisely!
KnightEnder
unregistered

Canadian, my laptop is down, again, I'm writing on my sons computer right now, but when it gets back up if it's okay with you all fill in what I'm talking about and you can look at it and see what you think. If you like it maybe we can discuss where the story is going and coolaborate.

KE

canadian
Member # 1809

cool

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page