Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » The Dionaea House

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Dionaea House
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dionaea House was pointed out to me last night and I thought it one of the more clever storytelling mechanisms in the internet age. It's a relatively short read but completely engrossing as it blurs the line of reality a bit with its approach. I particularly enjoyed the clever linking to other blogs which allow user comments further blurring the line between reality and fiction.

As you go through the story, follow the links and stay "linear" for full context. The story is written in such a way that you can approach it non-linearly but staying with the projected flow does add to the story. Either way, I think you'll enjoy it.

It seems to be based in some part on House of Leaves as there are a lot of references to it in user comments. Certainly the structure is a derivative of it if not the actual content. It occurs to me that the technology used would allow a group of authors to work on a story in a non-linear fashion as well. Two or three authors, each with a blog/web site or series of them, could participate in the story and allow it to grow organically with the authors character(s) being required to respond to events beyond their and the author's control. Allowing comments by other authors in the blog (or even participatory anonymous users from anywhere in the world) could add a realistic texture hard to achieve in other formats.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page