Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » possible artist-writer collaborations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: possible artist-writer collaborations
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years ago there was talk between two OWW members of collaborating on a comic book idea. I'm working on a manuscript right now that someone once told me would make a great comic book. Though I had intended the story to be a novel that is increasingly proving itself to be a gargantuan task. I'm young and inexperienced and I don't know if novel writing is possible for me at this stage in developement as a writer. So I would love to collaborate with an artist and see if it could be retooled as a comic book.

If anyone is interested, I'll start sending out chapters through OWW. (Actually I will start sending out chapters regardless of comic book interest. This is just one possible route I think I could take.)

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an amateur (hopefully not forever) comic book artist, only marginally sucky at this point. It was stayne and I who talked about collaborating before, and I sent around some pages from a graphic novel I was writing myself. My project with stayne never went very far, mostly (from my point of view) because it was too large a project for me to commit to. It literally would have been at least a year's worth of work for me to do in my spare time, and so while I liked his ideas I couldn't really move on it. Its an inconventient fact of working in comics that the art takes about five to ten times as long to make as the writing. Anyway, If you send me some character descriptions, I can send you some sketches, its a good way for artist and writer to see if they like each other. If you e-mail it today I send some work out within a week.

Adam

[ February 07, 2007, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Adam Masterman ]

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayne
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for stayne   Email stayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still here from time to time, BTW. [Wink] I should like to note that I liked the sketches Adam did a lot, but as he said, it would have been a big task, and in addition, I ran on some personal problems (divorce, sigh) that pretty much took all of my time and emotion until recently, so I sort of vanished for a long time.

Adam, if we had an idea we both liked, I still wouldn't be averse to working up something entirely new, something smaller scale, if you were of a mind. I keep telling myself I am going to do more writing, but I've just been hella slack for a long time. Something small and in a new direction might be just the prescription.

Posts: 594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stayne, I sent you an e-mail about collaboration.

Caladblog, I have some sketches of your characters, just first impressions but I'll send them out as soon as I get a chance to scan them. I'm getting the sense that your story might be a bigger commitment than I can make right now, plus I may be re-embarking on a project with stayne. Keep the sketches however, maybe a future collaborator can use them as a starting point. If you seriously want an artist to help realize this project, go here:

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/

and shop around. Most of them are better than me, anyway.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I had a feeling that might be the case. I just realized that a comic book with this story could provide years of work. Thanks for the sketches.

BTW I can't get on that site. It says Database error.

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

Ok, its working today.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page