Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » submission question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: submission question
gruevy
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for gruevy   Email gruevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just reading Tor's submission guidelines, and you are only supposed to submit the first three chapters and a good, solid outline. Does that mean you can submit a book that's not completely written yet, or should you be completely done with it before you send it in?
Posts: 256 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my god! Somebody actually posted over here! Its been a while. I can't answer your question but maybe my posting will draw someone who can.

I do have an understanding that the book does not in fact have to be completed. That's what seems to be implied, anyway. I thought, you send in a few chapters then, if they like it, a contract is drawn up. I don't actually KNOW this, but this is what it SEEMS like to me.

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should finish the manuscript first. By which I mean, completely and totally a final draft. If they like your first three chapters, they will ask for the rest of it, and if the rest of it is not as good as the first three chapters, it will be rejected. They might still reject it anyway, in fact probably will just because of the sheer volume of material they receive. But sending queries and outlines out when the thing's not actually finished will give you a bad rep.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose they reserve the big advances for writers they have developed a relationship with.
Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gruevy
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for gruevy   Email gruevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, it seemed like it should be done. I guess I'll send the first 3 chapters when I'm close enough that by the 4-6 month reply time, I'll be done [Smile]
Posts: 256 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skycountry
Member # 2526

- posted      Profile for Skycountry         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really should finish the book first. Besides, if they like it, you'll want an agent to rep you, and to get one you'll probably need to finish it anyway.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew_Wight
Member # 4739

- posted      Profile for Drew_Wight   Email Drew_Wight       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So- do submission need to be books only? Are screenplays and scripts accepted?
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew_Wight
Member # 4739

- posted      Profile for Drew_Wight   Email Drew_Wight       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hel-lo?

Anybody out there?

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're talking at Tor? Or where? AFAIK Tor only publishes books, so they wouldn't want any submissions of other material.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drew_Wight,

I assume that you mean submissions to the Ornery Writer's Workshop? It hasn't exactly been very active lately. If you meant submissions to some publication somewhere, then I suppose that it would depend on the nature of the specific market.

If there is enough interest to get OWW started again, we really should do so. I even have time to actually participate now.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guinevererobin
Member # 4024

- posted      Profile for guinevererobin   Email guinevererobin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to get OWW going again, personally. after getting to know the folks on Ornery, I'm really interested to read the characters that all the characters write... [Smile]
Posts: 463 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OWW is languishing for lack of submissions. Elsewise, it's alive and well.

Submissions should be emailed to dissidentzyne@gmail.com .

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UberDog
Member # 6042

- posted      Profile for UberDog   Email UberDog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have said you had to finish the book a couple of weeks ago, but a guy in another forum sold his sci-fi novel to a UK company based on a proposal and sci-fi mag credentials.

It wasn't anything as big as Tor though.

I'm in the process of querying myself. the rule is, generally, you have to have a finished novel unless you are a published novelist. And, even then, you may need a full manuscript.

Non-fiction is different. You can sell that based on a proposal.

[ March 05, 2008, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: UberDog ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page