Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » Writing Exercises?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Writing Exercises?
guinevererobin
Member # 4024

- posted      Profile for guinevererobin   Email guinevererobin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any good ideas for short writing exercises (aimed at creating fiction)? I need something to break my long streak of writer's block.

The one I do have to recommend is actually something that can be submitted, albeit to an e-zine; it's "thefirstline.com" where they give you a first line and all the submissions must begin with it. the next deadline is August 1st, and it's "Carl once complained there were not enough _____ in the world." It can be entertaining and personally I like ending up with a product I can try submitting. [Smile]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some famous writer (Twain?) said that copying is the mark of a mediocre writer, theft is the mark of a great one. Go to your bookshelf and pick a book you really enjoyed and purloin a few letters. I've done exercises like that where I've gone to both literature and, er, not so literature...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page