Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » My current state of mind

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My current state of mind
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My attention has shattered.
In tired tatters it quests
to be whole again.

A fragmentary memory exists
of times of MIND, of vision.
It won't cohere.

I gather my thoughts incessantly.
It is like gathering fog.
Like herding gnats.

This recent concentration
this clearing in the mist
resolves nothing.

To plod, to strain, to burn
with clarity - with sight -
I almost might.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been there. It's worst when you've set yourself up ("you're stupid, this has an easy answer, and since you can't do it I will and then you have to abide by it") and then you have to 1) burn out an answer 2) on a deadline.

That said, I hope this poem represents an artistic effort at something you felt for a mercifully short period of time.

[ January 17, 2009, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sit in a coffee shop
Invisible
Riding in an elevator
No one sees.
Together in aloneness
Separated
Sadness overwhelming,
Is everyone pretending?
I am

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Singing this little song:

“Running through the poopy maze, the poopy maze, the poopy maze,

"Running through the poopy maze and working out a floor plan."

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's one way to make sure no one wants to join you.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of that maze! I Keep steping in it and falling on my ass. No point in working out the floor plan, the walls keep moving.
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A larger state of mind:

Principles of the American Cargo Cult

The gent who shared this with me prefaced it thusly:

quote:
I think it slightly undermines his point to call out these failings as "American", but I do enjoy seeing them identified so clearly.
I agree.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

wowsa, these are actually very insightful
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the link, kl.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

That sounds like one of those commanding aphorisms or advertising slogans, like be here now or Do the Dew.
rightleft22
Member # 2832

when you like the link you link the like.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

begin the beguine

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page