Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery Writers Workshop » Slouching Toward Mexico

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slouching Toward Mexico
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://filebin.ca/umwfr

this definitely needs some help, if anyone would like to ?

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what kind of file is that?
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just word
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those links will work better for people if you use the version that includes the .doc extension on the filename.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

I'm too dumb in softwarese to know what you just said.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I use filebin to upload a word document, the website presents me with two URLs that I can then provide to others. Here's what filebin.ca just told me when I uploaded a dummy file:

quote:
Your file is available at http://filebin.ca/rfsyen/doc4.doc or http://filebin.ca/rfsyen
I'm saying if you use the first of the two links, it will be (in some cases) easier for people to open the files you are uploading. The '.doc' part says to the downloader's computer "Hey! I'm a Word file." The software should figure this out most of the time anyway, but it's not always seamless.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

oh. ok. I'll do that from now on. were you able to download it, this time?
musicman
Member # 6422

- posted      Profile for musicman   Email musicman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't access the link...
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Got this in the (mass) email:

quote:
Why not?

There's a storm abrewin'. What happens when good, responsible people keep quiet? Washington has forgotten they work for us. We don't work for them. Throwing good money after bad is NOT the answer. I am sick of the midnight, closed door sessions to come up with a plan. I am sick of Congress raking CEO's over the coals while they, themselves, have defaulted on their taxes. I am sick of the bailed out companies having lavish vacations and retreats on my dollar. I am sick of being told it is MY responsibility to rescue people that, knowingly, bought more house than they could afford. I am sick of being made to feel it is my patriotic duty to pay MORE taxes. I, like all of you, am a responsible citizen. I pay my taxes. I live on a budget and I don't ask someone else to carry the burden for poor decisions I may make. I have emailed my congressmen and senators asking them to NOT vote for the stimulus package as it was written without reading it first. No one listened. They voted for it, pork and all.

O.K. folks, here it is. You may think you are just one voice and what you think won't make a difference. Well, yes it will and YES, WE CAN!! If you are disgusted and angry with the way Washington is handling our taxes. If you are fearful of the fallout from the reckless spending of BILLIONS to bailout and "stimulate" without accountability and responsibility then we need to become ONE, LOUD VOICE THAT CAN BE HEARD FROM EVERY CITY, TOWN, SUBURB AND HOME IN AMERICA. There is a growing protest to demand that Congress, the President and his cabinet LISTEN to us, the American Citizens. What is being done in Washington is NOT the way to handle the economic free fall.

So, here's the plan. On April 1, 2009, all Americans are asked to send a TEABAG to Washington, D.C. You do not have to enclose a note or any other information unless you so desire. Just a TEABAG. Many cities are organizing protests. If you simply search, "New American Tea Party", several sites will come up. If you aren't the 'protester' type, simply make your one voice heard with a TEABAG. Your one voice will become a roar when joined with millions of others that feel the same way. Yes, something needs to be done but the lack of confidence as shown by the steady decline in the stock market speaks volumes.

This was not my idea. I visited the sites of the 'New American Tea Pary' and an online survey showed over 90% of thousands said they would send the teabag on April 1. Why, April 1?? We want them to reach Washington by April 15. Will you do it? I will. Send it to; 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington , D.C. 20500 .

Forward this to everyone in your address book. Visit the website below for more information about the 'New American Tea Party'. I would encourage everyone to go ahead and get the envelope ready to mail, and then just drop it in the mail April 1. Can't guarantee what the postage will be by then, it is going up as we speak, but have your envelope ready. What will this cost you? A little time and a 40 something cent stamp.

What could you receive in benefits? Maybe, just maybe, our elected officials will start to listen to the people. Take out the Pork. Tell us how the money is being spent. We want TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY. Remember, the money will be spent over the next 4-5 years. It is not too late.

Of course, if you agree with the way things are being done now, just delete!!!!!

Love ya, DeDe

replied thus:

quote:

I'm not sure how I got on this list, but I'd like to answer:

Tea bags of protest to Obama???

I'll do nothing of the sort.

The writer of this email is apparently unaware that we have a capital crisis, made an emergency by several levels:

First, the dollar is a debt instrument. There should be one dollar created and released for every dollar of goods/services we produce.

(The reason we have boom/bust cycles is because the FED has been determined to hold our economy to only a slow growth program, meaning that while American "boom" the FED fails to release the liquidity so that those who produced cannot be remunerated. The products are transacted in debt and it is only a matter of time before the "bust.")

The government has deliberately mis-educated the people on the concepts of currency inflation (more dollars) VS. product price inflation (how much things cost for you). They have done this deliberately so that the obvious cure (adding dollars upon the indication production) is avoided as those who practice in the financial sector make ever greater spreads when dollars are ever more scarce (credit cards jumping from 5 to 32% in 8 years).

Currency inflation is of two types: supported by production and not supported by production. If you have 100 houses worth $100k each so that you have dollars equal to $100x100k you have a balanced economy (if no other goods or services are sold, which is not ever the case, but that's why they call it "an example") but IF five years later you have 300 houses worth $100k each, and you have dollars = $300x100k, you have a situation called "inflation," ........but it is supported by production. Ergo, the value of a dollar hasn't changed even though the number of them "inflated", because it is worth the same RATIO of production. Now, in America, we have never had inflation that is not supported by additional production, so why do financial sectors cry about "inflation"???- they do so because it is in their best interest NOT to have sufficient currency matched to production so that they could force buyers into using debt instruments, upon which they a) make interest revenues or b) assert a lien in order to claim the asset. These guys got their hooks in everything, which is why, when capital failed, they wanted themselves bailed out, not you, so they could continue to seize assets while the population watched their life-work go into receivership.

"But the value of the dollar will fall if we print more money!"

No, not when it is balanced by production.

The value might fall against other currencies, yes, but we're buying their PRODUCTS..... and if you had the choice between paying for a shipment of cotton with seven weak cows or seven healthy cows, wouldn't you choose to release the weak cows for the tangible goods? In other words- for as long as we are an import economy we want to pay with a weak dollar. When we are primarily an export economy, we'll want to use strong dollars.

Fears about releasing dollars to match our production are spread by those who are enjoying the scarcity of it.

Product-price inflation is the killer. It is the one that breaks families and businesses, as what you bought yesterday for $100 dollars now costs $150, but your earnings did not change. This inflation is caused by raw material shortages (which we haven't had) insufficient workers (which is not our case) and last and most popularly, it is caused by lack of sufficient currency in the economy, especially an economy that still has many many producers all making unsupported (no currency released to balance production) goods and services.

The way this works is simple:

* new production does not have new money matched by the FOMC,
* so new production gets paid out of shrinking currency pool,
* old production (of base products like gasoline, electricity, coal, wheat, sugar, plastics) are paid for instead with IOUs (aka "securities")
* which are factored by financial sector, interest rate becomes delta/inflation.

EXAMPLE:

* The bread factory needs to buy wheat, but doesn't have any currency available (the economy is drained) and so,
* the bread factory (and the muffin factory, and the pita factory) all pay for the wheat-flour in IOUs (based on their credit ratings).
* The wheat grinder doesn't have any money just IOUs and needs to produce his product.
* So, he goes to the BANK, who looks at the long-term contracts to purchase wheat and heavily discounts the futureflow from those contracts and provides some up-front cash to the wheat grinder at a steep interest rate. If the wheat grinder doesn't produce, he forfeits his future-cashflow.
* Eventually, the wheat-grinder's banker's interest rate is folded into the finished product price and is called "inflation".
* The only parties who make money on inflation of this kind (and its the only kind that matters) are in the financial sector (aka BANKS) which is why in 2007 they made more money than any others by, a) factoring contracts, b) charging interest that is the hidden "inflation" and c) seizing cashflows if not c) facilities, warehouse, homes...

The best cure to product price inflation that is not caused by shortages of raw materials or lack of workers, is to inject the currency in to balance production, at the lowest level of consumer.

The Chinese have got "injection" to balance production figured out, which is why it actually IS a reasonable idea to build all our plants there, where the government responsibly injects currency to match production rather than here, where we engage in a deliberately recessive economic policy (example- we have injection about 3% new money for 9% new population every year for 50 years-- what are the other 6% supposed to have in return for their production- debt only forever?) and do not attempt to match production which exerts competitive hardship upon all producers not as competition for value in the products, but hardship for the currency, exactly what "capitalism" was supposed to mean- the release of capital for goods and services that then compete in the market place for preference-supremacy (market-share).

http://www.ecommerce-journal.com/news/11902_china_is_to_increase_its_money_supply_by_17_percent_in_2009

......and they do that all the time. And no one is dumb enough to say, "you'll devalue the currency!" because the Chinese know that what they are doing -which is their policy- has been proven correct by America's stumbles- which is to lead production by providing the currency, rather than the other way around (which causes boom/bust when left unsupported).

Why are the Chinese better capitalists than we are?

Currency should be injected at the lowest level of consumer because money travels "transverse or up" or in other words, it never goes down without a lot of help. On that, Reagan, the President I most personally liked, was fatally wrong. To demonstrate the point, imagine two rooms- one filled with 100 millionaires, and one filled with 100 disabled people. If you put $100 Million dollars at the ceiling of both rooms and dropped it, both sets of people would dive for the cash and stuff it in the pockets. But follow the million dropped on the millionaires, and you will find it in their wallets, or saved (hoarded) in other enterprises for their own benefit. Track the money that went to the disabled, and you will find that it passed through another 1000 people, buying and trading goods and services until, as all money does in a society that fails to release sufficient currency to match production, it rises and comes to rest at the wealthy. If money is injected into society and it is not injected at the lowest consumer, the producers and providers for the poorest of us will have no way to be remunerated. So the rule is, inject as low as you possible can, because how would you like to be the producer left out?

What is going through my mind, as I contemplate the diatribe the triggered this long post, is what happened to Americans that they imagine that the Obama Stimulus plan is subtracted from their own taxes? I think they very clearly said the taxes that would retire the paper would be from the producers. How is this interpreted as a hardship upon Americans? How strange is that? Don't Americans know that our money is ALL debt instruments from the Federal Reserve, and that if we want to be paid, we should approve the release of them? Do Americans have wistful ideas of returning to economics before the rise of the machine, when we began to mass-produce which meant that all could experience relief if the injection for the production had been made low enough, so that the mass-producer could be paid? Do Americans just want to return to an agrarian society, each person making a tangible product to exchange with another, so that we can avoid thinking about economic riddles that stump this generation? Do Americans dream of returning to the kiss-of-death The Gold Standard, which, as the US population expands 9% per year, would mean either the permanent and continual devaluation of the limited non-American mineral for all the people and our virtually unlimited production? Do Americans simply not understand what a DOLLAR is?

pardon, can't resist a tiny lesson- a dollar is a federal reserve debt note- because they technically are retired in five years, but we call them "bills" out of habit. Bills are debt notes to be retired in one year. Bonds are debt instruments to be retired in 20 years.

Imagine how many debt instruments Mitt Romney has...... let's say $250 Million.

What if we all said,

us: "Mitt, we are hysterical about the debt! We want to return it all. Please convert all your notes and assets back into goods/services, so that we can put them back and get out of debt."

Mitt: "Wait a minute, that's MY money. What the heck would I do with $250 Million worth of office supplies?"

us: "Well, that is what you are asking us to do.. ........ join the ranks of Americans with warehouse and no ability to transact! Come belt-tighten! I'm sure we'll find something to eat....."

Obama has proposed that since the economy is de-capitalized, making it impossible for those who want to sell to transact with those who want to buy. That is American rigor mortis. Frankly, I do not understand, I cannot even comprehend why Americans appear to be leaning towards histrionics while the money that is needed for us to live upon is arranged. I mean, were these factions intent on asserting new currency? Illegal currency? An in-kind transaction-nation? What was the alternative plan? Do you have any doubt that the economic has been decapitalized? (by that, of course that means the capital is removed or being hoarded. I've got no problem with hoarding- let the wealthy be wealthy! Don't force them to give it back, they've earned what they have and now if you and I want our chance, shouldn't we be looking for the currency to be released for our production?)

There are about 350,000,000 Americans, and look at the money supply available outside of US govt vaults

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/M1

That 2009 figure is about equal to $5000/person which would equate to $1,750,000,000,000 in general circulation.

Pardon me, but I intend to be worth more than that, and in fact, I have contracted debt more than that (house, cars, etc).

This is the real economy and see the disastrous effect of prolonged belt tightening; it sustains chronic poverty and lack of development which equals stagnancy in rural America.

So my question is, if Obama's going to inject roughly six times that value, is it enough? My message to the White House--------- we're going to need more. I'm glad you are going to be there for a while.

Obama's plan, thank God, isn't up for debate anymore. It is the law of the land. I, for one, intend to wholeheartedly obey and am planning multiple applications so that collateral can be passed up under Obama's program (which, bless him, he opened for all, breaking down the doors against economic development that were erected by GLBA) and funded by the Federal Reserve, to bring that money down for construction of renewable energy facilities, which will employ those who need work and convert our infrastructure as needed and best of all, re-capitalize our society.

So, no thank you on the petulant, childish tea bag stunt, because I'm not suicidal.

(signature)

Got back:
quote:
Not sure who you are, did not mean to offend you, but thanks for your point of view.
and I wrote back:

quote:
I was not offended, just deeply concerned by the over-the-top tone meant to persuade us into a publicity stunt for the purpose of re-instituting a path of economic suicide.

Seemed like a really bad, really dangerous idea.

It was my pleasure to provide the counterpoints.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page