Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery U » Welcome to Ornery U

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Welcome to Ornery U
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ADDED NOTE - February 21, 2009

The test of time has shown Ornery U to be a popular and useful addition to the Ornery Forum. But several members have remarked that the title might confuse casual readers into thinking that those starting threads in this section are agents or employees of the Ornery Forum, or that OrneryMod makes an additional effort to assess their qualifications or the factual accuracy of what they present. This is certainly not the case. In truth any Ornery member can post to this section without prior approval, so a hoax thread is quite possible on April 1st, for example. And even if the material is presented with a true desire to inform, OrneryMod lacks the expertise to evaluate such matters as starLisa's knowledge of Judaism. So read the posts as a source of useful suggestions, but consult recognized authorities in a field as well if the matter is serious. OrneryMod would not want to fool anyone into thinking Ornery U is a peer reviewed publication, especially in regard to such matters as legal and medical opinions, where believing falsehoods can cause grave injury.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Recently a member observed that Ornery members, as a whole and in particular, possess a great deal of knowledge in a dizzying variety of areas, and proposed that we provide a mechanism for those members with something to share, to share. [Smile]

This forum is for members to start threads about subjects in which they have a particular interest and which they have studied extensively, and for other members to ask questions of the thread originator.

The usual requirements of courtesy and respectful behavior pertain, with a few special addenda.

One, this forum is neither intended nor designed for debate. If you'd like to respectfully raise a question about a factual element of another person's topic, you may do so in order to enhance the understanding and enjoyment of the reader--not to show the topic originator up, or to debate obscure interpretative details. I will remove combative posts as soon as I see them. Very often there are different schools of thought in a particular subject; sub-denominations of religious faiths are a good example. Here is not the place to debate whether the Russian Orthodox Church is a heretical breakaway sect of the Greek Orthodox Church...start your own thread about Russian Orthodoxy.

Second, please note that this forum in no way supercedes our usual disdain for argumentum ad verecundiam , or appeals to authority--just because you're the best qualified to speak on a particular subject in this forum doesn't exempt you from mounting a coherent argument and being prepared to defend it with more than your credentials. Don't expect a thread in this forum to shore up your arguments in the others simply by virtue of its existence. Similarly, I do not expect to see scornful or otherwise uncivil references to topics here used as argumentative tools elsewhere.

Finally, it would be helpful for thread originators to provide some insight into the reasons they've chosen to start their thread; whether it's your academic discipline, chosen profession, avocational study, personal creed, or what have you. And please do entitle your thread appropriately to the topic.

Members are welcome to post questions as well, though it would be preferable for the respondent to the question to answer the question in a separate thread created for that purpose, with a brief note to the questioner that he or she has done so, rather than providing the answer in the "question" thread.

This forum is still in the developmental stage, and I expect we'll have to figure out the best way to use it as we go along, so please don't regard this post as the last word on the subject.

I will be moving the Ornery U threads from the General Comments section over here shortly. If I miss any, I hope someone will bring it to my attention.

I would like to take a moment to extend my thanks and appreciation to the board's owners, who provide us with the resources here, and to the webmaster, who added this forum for us.

Enjoy!

[ February 24, 2009, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nemes_ie
Member # 804

- posted      Profile for nemes_ie   Email nemes_ie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mod-

Would it be a good idea to place a sticky thread here, where members could state their area(s) of expertise, and their justification for claiming this expertise?

G

Posts: 312 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a sticky request thread, for those of us who want to ask "What can you tell me about X?" would be nice too.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't Paladine Moderate this forum since it was his idea?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What have you got against Paladine, KE? [Wink]
Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be happy to. I'd also be quite content with the OMs moderating, since they've done such a superlative job elsewhere. Either way's fine. [Smile]
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

I'm happy to say that with Paladine's gracious consent, I've added him as a moderator for this forum. He'll be the "go-to" guy for ordinary moderator business in Ornery U.

I know that I can count on you all to treat him with all courtesy and to honor his efforts to help make this forum the best it can be. [Smile]

I should also note that I've acted on nemes_ie's and Rallan's fine suggestions and created a thread for both purposes. If it doesn't seem to work as hoped, we'll try something else. It's a work in progress yet.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teacher's pet! Teacher's pet!
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to stage a coup.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

As long as it's bloodless. I'm a chicken about blood, and I hate mopping.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He said stage a coup, not a coop.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page