Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery U » Ornery U? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ornery U?
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the other day about how much combined knowledge we had on this forum, and it really is pretty astonishing. We have experts in a multitude of fields who contribute regularly, and rich discussions about music, science, history, law, language, and virtually everything else under the sun. This could be a crackpot 5:30 AM idea, but I was wondering if groups of people might be interested in learning more about certain fields from our members with more specialized knowledge.

Interested members could post "lessons" and threads could be used as a sort of open question and answer venue. Maybe it could be what I wish "school" more often were: an informal community of learners with no objective other than knowledge. For my part, I'd feel most qualified to teach Latin (since I have taught it in a private school for several years),poker (since I play a multitude of games at some of the highest limits played in the world), or chess (having played a multitude of tournaments and earned a rating around 2000, or expert level) should there be interest in any of these. What do you guys think? I'd also like some input from the moderators.

[ February 15, 2008, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Paladine ]

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's an interesting idea, Paladine, and there's certainly no restriction on "talking about stuff I know about" in the guidelines. I am of course confident no one would abuse discussions in this area by expecting others to "take their word for it" in unconnected discussions. [Wink]

Why don't you start an experimental thread and see how it goes?

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We tried just such a thing early in the history of ornery. And for the most part it went very well, but was topically centered on political theories, philosophy theories, and a couple of odd ball things like indepth discussions on what to do about things like abortion or gun control. And for the most part they went pretty well. 9-11 kind changed our direction.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting Red. Personally, if you can find the time and should have the inclination, I'd be very much interested if you could share with us a bit of your knowledge of Nazi Germany (and maybe some good reading recommendations on the same?). I've read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and a few others, and have been pretty interested whenever you post on the subject.

I'd be happy to start an experimental thread if there should be interest in the concept (and in any of my "areas of expertise").

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know "sales" gets a bad rap, but you'd be surprised at the psychological, I don't want to say manipulation, persuasion, that goes into it. From speech, to eye contact, body language, and dress. Plus, a lot of sales strategy teaches you how to meet people and develop a connection quickly. Which I think would be valuable for some of our more shy members, if we have any. [Smile]

I'm also pretty good at poker and chess and would love to hear what Paladine has to say on the subjects and discuss them.

Not to mention if any of our members have children playing ball I can be a tremendous help. Since my life revolved around baseball, basketball, and football for so long. And I love teaching the fundamentals to little kids. (the parents I could do without.) I can also help with increasing speed, no matter what a persons physical shape.

Oh, I also could lend a word or two about self-defense.

Of course, I've been using Ornery as my own personal tutor for years, so I think it is a great idea.

IMO, there is a 'trick' to everything; and is amazing how much easier something is once you know the trick to it. Paladine's idea would allow us to share this information.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not sure how it would work, there would have to be some kind of agreement to keep 'dissenting' views separated into separate threads. Notably on subjects like evolutionary biology or those areas of physics that touch on the age of the earth (or universe), so they don't get bogged down in the creationist arguments. And equally, if anyone wants to learn about creationism, so that those threads could be a Q&A of creationist idea without getting bogged down in evolutionist arguments... [Smile]
Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The topics I am an expert on:
  • Mormon theology
  • Orphaned & Abandoned Children's issues in developing countries
  • Adoption (international specifically, though I do know alot about domestic)
  • Sales Training
  • Temples of the Ancient World (Comparative Religion)
  • Residential Real Estate Investing
  • Repairing Relationships and Effective Communication Principles & Skills
  • Winning at Reversi (or Othello for you old school game folk)
  • Why nobody likes you

I'm happy to give advice and information on any of these topics!

[ February 15, 2008, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sarcasm.

I'd looove to teach it.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh that would be so great canadian I can't wait
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're my best student and I value your comments so much.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me that someone wanted to talk more about agriculture after that thread about eating meat, trophic levels, and sustainability.

Was that Ev?

Where'd that thread go, I thought you were going to bump it when your stuff was done?

Maybe you did, and I was not looking.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that the thread where someone ate dinner over the holiday's at someone's house. And what they ate was aparently not 100% veggie? Hotdogs or something?
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

margarine
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you pronounce that?

British-style, or more midwestern American?

I think it is a really funny word.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

hmm...

MAR-jur-uhn

[Smile]

Everard
unregistered

"That reminds me that someone wanted to talk more about agriculture after that thread about eating meat, trophic levels, and sustainability.

Was that Ev?

Where'd that thread go, I thought you were going to bump it when your stuff was done?

Maybe you did, and I was not looking."

Ooooh. Thanks op. I knew I would forget about that thread. I wanted to do some research on that topic.

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

I enjoy pronouncing it mar-jhe-REEN.

Out of utter foolishness. Not that I ever eat the stuff. But still.

Ev, did you want a Reading List?

Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how much posting time I'm going to have in the near future, depends on the baby's personality, but I'd be happy to share what I know about cooking, cloth diapering (well, pretty much any aspect of childcare), Catholicism, and art and design. I majored in art in college and love making stuff so although I'm not an expert, I like talking about it.
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

Alright KE, since you're my guaranteed participation, your choice. Which do I start? If poker, what limits do you regularly play live/online? If chess, do you have an approximate rating?
Everard
unregistered

"Ev, did you want a Reading List?"

If you want to provide one, sure. but i'll probably do my own hunting for the most part.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do I know... Judaism; Jewish history (particularly Hellenic/Roman period and modern times); history of Israel and Zionism; American history (some); US politics; liberal doses of general history and trivia [Smile] Quite a bit about sports (mostly NFL and soccer); Drugs and drug policy reform; basic strategy and counting cards at blackjack [Big Grin] The work of Bob Dylan; The works of Robert Graves, Umberto Eco, Anne Rice, Guy Gavriel Kay, Tolkien (not like a real Tolkien freak, but a good deal more critically than most of those...). Can't think of anything else at the moment. Well, there are a few more Rocknroll acts I could probably talk intelligently about.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be especially interested in Pal's Latin, KE's sales, and Red's WW2 history (that was my area of specialization when I majored in History, but I focused on eastern europe and have a very specific range of knowledge I would like to expand).

I'd be interesed in Carlotta's child-rearing advice as well, although the idea of kids is still a very theoretical one to me. I'd also be interested in investing, and I think there's a wealth of knowledge on this board about that.

Things I could teach--
-Creative Writing (to some extent). I've had a few poems published and usually am pretty helpful to people in the editing and rewriting process.
-History of the Warsaw Uprising and Poland during WW2 more generally.
-Marine Corps history, and some general war-fighting history in terms of the evolution of war and specific battles of interest such as the Falklands war.

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I can do
Physics, (non mathematical explanations)
Education,
Baseball,
certain subtopics of american and european history, for example the american revolution,

and others as I think of them [Smile]

JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be able to do Music Theory and Poker. Probably working with Paladine in his poker thread to expand some ideas rather than start my own.

A dedicated forum seems like the best way to handle this. I'm a little afraid the signal:noise ratio would get low, so we should discuss some sort of posting restrictions. I'm not quite sure how it would work, or if it's necessary. But it's an idea.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm. I've plenty of Buddhism threads already, being the resident expert basically by default. I could do a ripping history of the american comic book medium, as well as an American art history in general, specifically the post-war to current era. I'm also working on some youtube drawing lessons, which I can post if anyone is interested.

I would be interested in checking out anything people have to offer, history is always entertaining, and mist things that people have an expertice in are at least interesting to them.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

Along those lines...

CSPAN2 Book TV is airing an interview with Jonah Goldberg on the book "Liberal Fascism".

Its pretty eye opening.

KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Paladine:
Alright KE, since you're my guaranteed participation, your choice. Which do I start? If poker, what limits do you regularly play live/online? If chess, do you have an approximate rating?

I'd love it if you started on Poker. I don't play online, because for some reason I'm terrible online. Maybe you could help me with that? Live I play tourneys and cash games 1-3 and 2-5 no limit. I'm thinking of moving up so if you have advice for live higher limit I'd like to hear that, too.

Chess, I don't have a rating. I've been playing since I was five and both my boys play, but more for fun than competition.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I'd also really like to know why I'm not very good at online? But to be honest I started out online and haven't gone back since, since I did so much better in real life. Plus, I like interacting with people.

Paladine (and other poker players) speaking of playing with people; the other night I'm playing and there is this kid there and it's getting late and he says: "I'm a hundred up from where I started (holding up a a hundred dollars in chips) so I'm fixin to get out of here while I'm still up. A few hands later He raises preflop (he'd been catching a lot of pocket pairs and raising them) I'm in the big bling with nothing but the raise wasn't very big so I decide to protect my bb. The flop comeds 2 2 10. I raise him all in. He shows pocket QQ's and lays them down. I knew he wasn't going to risk his stack. He might as well have gone home when he said "I'm up and I'm going home a winner soon." You don't get that online.

Another time a lady said; "He (me) gets the Flush everytime! I never get the Flush." From that point on whenever a Flush was on the board and it was just me and her I raised and she folded. You don't get that online, either. Plus, being a salesman and a people person I can read people in real life. Not so much online.

KE

[ February 17, 2008, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, someone mentioned to me the other day the results of this experiment.

Apparently there was this story going around on the internet about innerspace looks exactly like outerspace. If you magnify a leaf by the 25th power, supposedly, it looks exactly the same if you demagnify it by the tenth???

What are they saying? Innerspace is equal to Outerspace? I've been scratching my head and trying to wrap my synapses around this one for a couple days now.

I thought about starting a thread to see if any of you, who excel in science, might be able to explain to me in layman terms providing you know what story I'm talking about, or perhaps you could provide me with a link?

Sharing your expertise is a wonderful idea. It is one of the reason I like reading this forum.

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KnightEnder, it is also possible that the unknown little old lady playing with you online is being advised by her son, who happens to be one of the top players in the nation... That is a lot more obvious if you are sitting around an actual table. Another possibility is that some of your opponents are using a computer program to play; I do not know how good the poker programs are yet, but this could be a problem.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle, that sounds like the property of a fractal. Anyway the Wikipedia description has pretty pictures, so you might as well take a look and see if it applies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hobsen:
Michelle, that sounds like the property of a fractal. Anyway the Wikipedia description has pretty pictures, so you might as well take a look and see if it applies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

Nope. I'm looking for a more recent discovery. (The pictures were pretty, though. [Wink] )
Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

"Even simple smooth curves can exhibit the fractal property of self-similarity. For example the power-law curve (also known as a Pareto distribution) produces similar shapes at various magnifications."

From hobsen's page. Sounds like what you were describing.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Good point, Hobsen. There are 'bots' online and software that tracks thousands of players and tells you what they are most likely to do in a given situation. It's not my idea of poker.

Paladine, tonight I made a mistake. This weak player calls ten dollars on a Mississippi stradle as does most of the table. In the cutoff I raise it forty more dollas (AQ) everybody folds (Oh yeah there was a thirty dollar juicer) excetp the weak player. The flop comes J Q 8 of clubs and he goes all in. I foolishly call him, partyl because I was low stacked, and he'd been raising everything, and he shows me 5 3 of clubs for a baby straight and busts me. How does he call forty dollars with a 5 and 3. But it was my fault for not taking into consideration the range of hands this donkey would play.

Lately I've noticed I've had a hard time laying down big hands. Especially AA, or in this case top pair top kicker, even if I think I'm beat. I gotta get over that. I can have KK and an Ace hits the flop and someone bets and I can lay it down, but for some reason Aces and top pair are killers for me. Help?

KE

Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll own up as the fellow who started that angsty thread about the margarine. Incidentally, OpsanusTau's pronunciation is the only one I've heard in Britain. (So, of course, it must be correct! [Big Grin] )

Subjects in which I have some expertise:
  • computer science, especially the mathematical and theoretical underpinnings (I have a bachelor's degree);
  • mathematics (two A-Levels and a highly mathematical degree; for comparison, a single A-Level in Maths is approximately equivalent to AP Mathematics);
  • web design and development (nearly three years of practical experience and extensive background reading, mainly e-commerce applications);
  • programming, notably Java, JavaScript (which is totally different from Java) and Perl;
  • typesetting with LaTeX (many weary years of use, including typesetting a public-domain book as a Christmas present for my boyfriend's mother).
I would be more than happy to provide one-on-one assistance on any of these topics. [Smile]

There are also a few other areas in which I am knowledgeable, but not enough to be called an "expert"; I could probably give some advice in a pinch, but please don't consider it in any way authoritative:
  • physics — hobsen and vulture far exceed me in this field, if my memory of previous conversations serves;
  • the theory of evolution, on which I am fairly well-read;
  • psychology, although only to A-Level (aka. not much at all).

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent, canadian: that little conversation made me laugh aloud on three separate occasions. [LOL]

I'd be very interested in learning Latin, Paladine. I remember reading Ovid's Metamorphoses, and in one chapter the translator explained some Latin wordplay which he couldn't easily communicate in English, and reflecting that this was my one biggest regret about a state-school education.

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a cool idea this is. i was just talking education with a new acquaintance this am, and both moaned about the dismal state of public ed (reasons for the state I'll not debate here, but suffice it to say that what we'd like to do here is difficult in a traditional school setting with the constraints now existing for public schools). this is awesome!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for LaTex! [Big Grin]
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

I was about to say that maybe two other people on Ornery ever had occasion to use LaTeX. I wonder who the other one is? [Wink]
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me - did my thesis in LaTex
Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page