Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery U » Ornery U? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ornery U?
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m not an expert in any field that could be of use on this forum. The operation of a condensing combination boiler is not a subject you find in many threads. Everything I learnt at school has since been disproved. I’m really good at being wrong so maybe I could be the bloke who asks all the questions.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to use it all the time when I was in college on my Amiga.

While I always assumed someone still used it, its been a few years since anyone talked about it on Ornery even in passing.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do guitar (classical primarily, but I can also help out with chords and the basics of everything but picks and electrics), and chime in on JoshuaD's music theory.

I'm interested in Ricky's Judaism (I was raised mostly-nonobservant), Everard's non-mathematical physics, and Jordan's computer science. And I'll probably lurk fascinatedly around anything else. [Wink]

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulture, you got there first, so I must assume that Red is a pretender. [Smile]

Just kidding. I love LaTeX; it can be a complete mindfrack sometimes when you just want to achieve goal X and don't know how, but when it works you get a beautiful document with a professional polish. I've used it to typeset university assignments, project proposals, letters and my CV, among other things. Ah, the joy of writing what you mean and being confident that it will look great in the end!

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the delay; I was off at a team chess tournament (ours won the U2100 title [Smile] ). Looks like I've got some interest in a poker thread, so I'll start one up ASAP (provided I get the chance before heading off to AC in a few hours).
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paladine-

I'm definitely interested in help with chess.

I don't have an official rating, but I'd guess I'm in the 1500-1600 range--based on my 1600+ rating on my Chessmaster program (which I think is skewed upwards) and my limited play with individuals who have claimed to be officially rated (also an upward slanted crapshoot in my opinion).

I've never had a coach or belonged to an official club, but I have perused a handful of books, and played a couple of non-official collegiate tournaments.

I need major improvement in my endgame (I haven't mastered intermediate basics like the Lucenna position), I'm quite sound in my opening principles but I have a virtually non-existent grounding in the book, and when my initial plans in the middlegame falter, I have difficulty coming up with new plans.

My strengths (relative to my level) are tactical vision--which of course requires constant improvement, and what I think is a sound, if conservative, basic strategic philosophy which prioritizes material and space.

I really want to improve my game (I'd like to be an expert before I die), but patience is not a virtue I possess in spades, and I do have time constraints. Plus, I'm 29, so I fear my opportunity to truly learn the game may have passed.

I'd definitely be interested in a chess thread.

PS--I'm interested in Poker too, but I usually prefer to play only tournament NL hold 'em.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to talk with expert commodities traders, someone in municipal finance with experience particularly in hybrid instruments, and I was rather intrigued to learn from Kent "why nobody likes you".
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Munga, would you prefer an email or a public dress down?
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty good at digging lint out of my belly button without hurting myself, and making garlic toast.

These two skills are entirely unrelated.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent, the subject, listed as a talent, was intriguing, but not quite personally attractive. [Razz]
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"These two skills are entirely unrelated."

Phew! [Big Grin]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he said.
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Redskullvw:
"Even simple smooth curves can exhibit the fractal property of self-similarity. For example the power-law curve (also known as a Pareto distribution) produces similar shapes at various magnifications."

From hobsen's page. Sounds like what you were describing.

I found what I was looking for. It was a tutorial video designed to provide visual appreciation of exponent expression. Starting at ten million, light-years into the milky way, the viewer is guided to an oak tree in the good ole US, then to the very quarks of an oak leaf.

Obviously someone tried to make more out of it, by comparing the image of the atom level with the view of the galaxy.

I simply must stop striking up conversations with strangers in the jacuzzi at the gym.

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fractals are every where, man!

[/hippie voice]

New adjective devised by my father and me to describe something that looks like a fractal (and most likely therefore is one): Fractical.

Example: That tree is so obviously fractical with its leaves gone. [Big Grin]

[ February 20, 2008, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: caladbolg1125 ]

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

So, WHO'S GOING FIRST???? WE'RE INTERESTED ALREADY.

[ February 20, 2008, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

munga
Member # 6006

HEY HEY!!! I've got something I myself wanted to look into, but have given up as a Have No Time loss:

For those of you with expertise in Mormon theology, ancient temples/comparative cultures...

I have heard that while there are many pyramids of the American and the Egyptian sort, there is really only ONE "Great Pyramid" which was built significantly earlier than all the others known. I have heard that this Great Pyramid was only relatively recently (as in, in the last hundred years) finally broken into by sheer brute force (they didn't find a door, instead they plowed through solid walls until they found the passage) and I have been intrigued at the interesting floor plan of the find. I would like the Great Pyramid analyzed from a Mormon Doctrine POV against a Pre-Egyptian theology POV. Of course, this exact analysis might already have been done, in which case, well.... just send munga the link.

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question...

I've got a postgresql database (8.2.6) running on Fedora core 8. I can login to the database using the following command line:

quote:
psql testdb -h localhost -p 5432 -Uusername
...and, of course, entering a password (ident authentication has been turned off - currently using plaintext passwords for ease of use).

I have a php page in which the following lines exist:

quote:
print("Attempting connection to database...");
$connection = pg_pconnect("host=localhost port=5432 dbname=testdb user=bryan password=mysecret")
or die('Could not connect: ' . pg_last_error());
print("Connection complete...");

When I call that page I get the following output:

quote:
Attempting connection to database...
It obviously isn't connecting to the database. I've troubleshot the authentication angle, and I've made sure that I can connect to the database using the same parameters from the command line. I've terminated the software firewall (iptables). I hate to solicit advice, but... I'm really not sure why I'm not getting at the very least a failure to connect message...

Any ideas?

[ February 20, 2008, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: FiredrakeRAGE ]

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martel
Member # 3448

- posted      Profile for martel   Email martel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People should probably put "Ornery U" somewhere in the thread title to distinguish it, just to avoid confusion.

I'm probably a little young to do much, but I could have a shot at American/British modern music history, and guitar. On that, it sounds like me and Chael sort of complete each other--I do electric mostly, lots of jazz and blues and rock, but I'm not so hot at classical.
I could also try a hand at physics, but it looks like Ev has that covered.

Posts: 308 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, martel. The music theory thread has some guitar stuff going on. You might want to drop in; I think caladbolg isn't into my adequacy area. [Smile]

If you ever want some classical tips, just let me know.

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought, but since these 'Ornery U' threads seem to be taking off, why not consistently name them with a prefix of 'Ornery U:'?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SP-

I'll set up a second thread as soon as I have a bit of time to devote. Should be fun. [Wink]

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

It also looks like we have a few of these threads going, and they seem to be going in interesting directions. Might it be possible to add another forum for this stuff if it turns out that there's significant interest? If we get a decent number of topics going it'll be hard to keep everything on the front page and still have room for all of our regularly scheduled craziness.
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the interest holds up I'll ask the administrator for another forum. It may mean giving up the OWW forum, though; I'm not sure how much server space they have allocated for this board. I almost think it's better to keep them on this side, lest they get forgotten in another forum (I suspect the majority of Ornerians rarely venture outside of General). But we'll see how things develop.

Also, it was suggested to me in email that it would be a good idea to keep these threads titled consistently, and I agree. I've edited the one that didn't show "Ornery U" in the title, and ask that everyone starting such a thread follow suit. It makes them easier to find while they're in General.

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, let's get a new forum for it.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we don't need another forum.

[Wink]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

Yeah, if there are two forums I'll probably never check it, knowing me. [Smile]

But if gentlefolk wish it, why give up the OWW forum when Ornery U and that one could share the space so easily?

Paladine
Member # 1932

Mod-

I appreciate your affixing OU to my thread's title. I'm not quite sure why you gutted my post though? [Frown]

OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh? All I edited was the title, and only to add two words and a colon; I didn't delete anything. The first post in the Poker thread seems to be intact (as I recollect it, anyway)...Or perhaps you're referring to another post? [Confused]

edit to add: I can't find what you mean. Please let me know (via email or here) and if you can provide the missing text I will restore it with my modly no-expire editing power.

[ February 21, 2008, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see we have some chess players, better than me. I'm ~1500 USCF. Any chess players here who'd like to play online, join freechess.org and look for whitecastle, which is my handle there.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll look for you Drake. It sounds like we might be at a fairly comparable level. (Although I really don't know what my real rating would be).
Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lousy at chess. I've never been able to get into studying games, and you kind of have to to be any good at it.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PMH
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for PMH   Email PMH       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paladine:
Interesting Red. Personally, if you can find the time and should have the inclination, I'd be very much interested if you could share with us a bit of your knowledge of Nazi Germany (and maybe some good reading recommendations on the same?). I've read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and a few others, and have been pretty interested whenever you post on the subject.

I'd be happy to start an experimental thread if there should be interest in the concept (and in any of my "areas of expertise").

Your email adx doesn't work.

(tried to send you:)
I recommend Leonard

Peikoff's *The Ominous Parallels*.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

Hey PMH, hadn't checked that email in a few but just received your missive; a response will be forthcoming shortly. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page