Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery U » Ornery U: Road Construction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ornery U: Road Construction
nemes_ie
Member # 804

- posted      Profile for nemes_ie   Email nemes_ie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben-

I'm starting this thread as a placeholder. I'm actually getting married next week, so not available for long discussions (under pressure [Frown] )- i'll get back to this as soon as I can.

Bear in mind, as well, that I'm a construction engineer, not a design engineer. My role is to implement the design on the ground, as near as is possible and ecoonomically feasible. Therefore, my knowledge of the exact design criteria, if thats what you are interested in, is limited- I need enough to spot if something is obviously wrong, as opposed to being able to produce something that is "right" from scratch.

Finally, I live and work in Ireland. There may well be significant differences in design, financing, procurement and standards between Ireland and the US, due to- weather, state control levels, EU public tendering rules, expected traffic loads, available materials, etc.

In any casee, anything that I can do, I will.

Best

G

Posts: 312 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, no pressure to do anything soon, take a month before replying or heck even the whole summer. I know I was a bit out of touch when I got married myself.

And I'm interested in learning more about the practical aspects anyway, such as the physical limits and practical cost considerations. Like why some roads are concrete, and others are asphalt? Easy starting question, I think...

Then I'm curious about how road construction handles utility and access tunnels, etc under them? what type of foundation or site preparation do you deal with for building roads, compared with methods used in ancient Rome or vanished American civilizations that archaeologists say built down so many feet, etc?

Shutting up for now, and remember, no hurry, deal with your wedding and all first.

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page