Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery U » Home Improvement: Toilet Plumbing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Home Improvement: Toilet Plumbing
mytreeisempty
Member # 6017

- posted      Profile for mytreeisempty   Email mytreeisempty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any help or recommendations on toilet bowl flushing mechanism repair?

The toilet sounds like its constantly running, so I asked my father (rather handy, but not a pro) for his thoughts.

His diagnosis was that the 'flapper' was getting old and leaking, leading to the constant, quiet, running sound.

I figure that since these bowls are from 1973, I should just replace everything in there, because it is probably more efficient anyway.

They are both 6.0/1.6 American Standards. Does anyone have any recommendations of what brand of kit I should buy?

Also, are there any necessary preparations to do before hand, such as shutting off the main water line and what general or specific tools I may need?

Thank you for any help!

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shutting off the water is a good idea, and most likely there is a valve on the small pipe which refills the toilet tank. Shutting off the main water line could lead to problems with your water heater, so it should be avoided if possible. Then flush until the toilet tank is empty to reduce the mess.

Otherwise your main problem may be getting the old mechanism out of there, as it is probably metal, and corrosion may have frozen it in place. So you may have to try various tools and approaches until something works. Replacements are mostly now plastic, and in my experience can be installed even without tools. Somebody else can suggest the proper size, or you can go to a hardware store and ask for advice. I got one seriously wrong once; but it is still in place and still working, although it was so undersized it is completely underwater. Replacements used to cost about ten dollars, but I would take along thirty today. And an Internet search should turn up plenty of detailed instructions, although I always just winged it. This is a plumbing job which can be completed successfully by a really bad plumber.

[ August 07, 2008, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can gut the toilet and find a replacement kit at home depot for pretty cheap. As Hobsen said, you can usually turn off the water flow to the toilet with a knob located under the back.

Once you've turned off the water, you should be able to flush once to empty the tank, and then just work with everything inside with little difficulty. It should very quickly become apparent what the problem is.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mytreeisempty
Member # 6017

- posted      Profile for mytreeisempty   Email mytreeisempty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the tips!
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can go a couple of hours without a toilet, and aren't too squeamish to do it, just pull out the old hardware (after you shut off the water) and take it along with you to Home Depot. You can thereby ensure the purchase of compatible parts. (To be extra sure you could measure the size of the hole where the water enters the tank and the height of the tank. But honestly I don't think there's too much chance of going too wrong.)

Now I am contemplating whether to install my own water softener. It's sitting in boxes in my house...and uses mostly quick-connect fittings ...and I have a few basic tools...and no soldering will be required...so I'm tempted. But I can easily imagine the job turning into a nightmare (sort of like when I removed an 16 year old carburetor from a Wankel engine. "Frozen bolts" is the card title for the first act of that drama).

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page