Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery U » Ornery U- Random Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ornery U- Random Questions
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both here and on the General Comments side, I've seen a few people post questions that probably don't merit a full "class", but require some specialized knowledge to answer. Instead of posting a full new thread for each of these, I think we'd be best off having one place members can go seeking answers to these questions. So here it is. [Wink]
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I have the first question. Does anyone happen to know anything about water filtration systems? Right now I have a cheap filter on my sink, and it does feel like there's a difference in taste between the filtered and unfiltered. Is this just in my head? Are there any brands or models that are especially good?
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ratings from Consumer Reports are usually reliable, but about others I do not know. Anyway this link has a lot of reports:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/water-filters/

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paladine, I don't think the difference is in your head - municipal water varies greatly in its purity and the types of extra substances that it contains. Private well water would tend to have even more variation. Lots of the contaminants (or additives) can affect the taste and the filter can remove those things.

Reverse osmosis filtration is the most thorough. I'm not an expert but I've spent some time reading and researching, and I briefly had one installed in my home (due to accepting a free trial from a company that then charges 3-4x the fair market rate for their products). You get very pure water that is mostly free of mostly everything but water - the only more effective purification would be distillation. They tend to have between 3 (basic model) and 6 (ridiculous model including UV irradiation) stages of filtration.

The water we had tasted very good and our ice cubes were noticeably clearer (not that ice cube clarity is any standard of quality, but it helped demonstrate that the filter was doing something).

The upside: very pure water

The downsides:

Can be expensive - but you probably don't need to pay more than $200 for the equipment for a nice model, $300 installed. (The company I was working with wanted $1100, the shameless thieves)

Also, multiple filter units that need to be replaced periodically at additional expense. Probably $30-100+ a year depending on brand and the number of filtration stages.

Limited water throughput - the models I was looking at maxed out at something like 50 gallons per day - but you only have 2-3 gallons available at any one time, and if you use all of the available water up then you have to wait while it slowly filters more for you into the reserve tank. (GE has an on-demand reverse osmosis system but I've read bad things about the noise level and reliability.) As long as this is only used for drinking and cooking you probably wouldn't have much trouble running out unless you're hosting a large group.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mytreeisempty
Member # 6017

- posted      Profile for mytreeisempty   Email mytreeisempty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know a thing or two about NJ maternity leave laws for small businesses?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
read down the page, this suggests that the small business has to be over fifty people (in other words, not a small business) in order for the maternity leave and family leave acts to apply.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page