Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery U » Requests and Offers Thread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Requests and Offers Thread
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is for members who want to post questions for other members and for members who want to offer their expertise in specific areas.

Members who then gauge that there is interest in an area in which they have expertise or can offer information should then begin a new thread on that topic.

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chess, poker, and Latin all available upon request. I'd also be willing to do a thread on Education should the interest arise, presumably with the assistance of our other current and former Ornery teachers.

I also considered doing American Government and Politics or Comparative Politics, but I'm not sure how much demand there is for the basics of what our government is and how it operates here, since we tend to be a pretty political crowd.

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can offer a thread on publishing short fiction. I'm the associate editor of an online literary magazine, and I've had (so far) ten short stories published, both online and in-print. I've also has a couple-dozen non-fiction works published, including semi-pro and pro publications. I'm not making a living at this by any means, but I can give some advice on finishing work and getting it published. I would make it more a Q&A thing.

I've considered putting this up on the writer's workshop before, but I'm not sure it would be appropriate since I'm not really offering to criticize works-in-progress (lack of time).

Posts: 1960 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to have a thread for investing lessons/discussion. I'm just getting started in the stock market and despite the fact that I'm working on a Master's in Finance right now, I'm still learning a lot. Could benefit from the wisdom of the aged. [Wink]
Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nemes_ie
Member # 804

- posted      Profile for nemes_ie   Email nemes_ie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm well informed on layman-level science, and can usually point people in the direction of more advanced material if necessary.

i also have some expertise in civil engineering, particularly road construction and water services, ( not that it's likely to come up [Smile] )

G

Posts: 312 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OR, is there anything specific of interest?
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think an "offer" is very necessary for this forum. If you've got something that you're good at, write it up and post about it! I'll ask questions about most things, and I'm sure most people will enjoy reading it either way.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irish - how to choose stocks to invest in at the forefront of my mind right now, specifically what research to do on a company and how.
Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nemes_ie, I'd like to hear from you a bit about road construction. I've got a few thoughts and ideas, which may turn out to be nothing depending what I learn from you. Just type up something and I'll start asking questions. Thanks.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OM - I sent you an email, got no reply. Can you bring my Ornery U threads into here? Not sure if I had 2 or 3.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm good at Microsoft Excel. [Smile] I don't think it'd do any good to offer a tutorial, but I'm good at solving problems. I've considered trying to become a consultant for developing effective spreadsheet applications, but don't quite know how to generate business. Anyway, if someone has a problem or question on how to do something with Excel*, I might be able to help.

*I'm sadly not conversant with the 2007 version yet. I'm good with the 2003 release.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Ricky; I didn't see an email. Was it from your usual account? It may be that the filter picked it up if not.

In any case, I've been trying to move all the previous Ornery U threads; the controls tell me they're moved, but as you can see they don't seem to be here.

The web administrator is working on it, and I expect that he'll fix it within the next few days. Sorry for the delay. [Smile]

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I’d like to see an Ornery U on Libertarianism. Before I started reading Ornery I thought Libertarianism was a dead duck and slightly French. Its principles suited an 18th Century Agricultural State where people were more self sufficient but these principles had no place in a modern Democratic Industrial State where people, in my opinion, are by necessity more reliant on State Intervention. I’ve read that some Libertarians in the States call themselves Liberals. Now I know to some people in the US media the word Liberal is likened to a swear word but Libertarianism doesn’t easily fit with my European view of what a Liberal is. I’ve read articles on Libertarian websites and it seems to be a policy of “I’m alright Jack”, means testing and vouchers. Now as an ex-Shop Steward I’m obviously wrong but I just can’t see how Libertarianism works in the modern industrial world. Democracy is a very bad form of Government but Libertarians seem to want zero Government without Anarchy.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little leary of threads on a school of political philosophy, Athelstan. I suspect that such threads would likely quickly transform from a description of libertarianism's claims into a debate as to their validity, and that to me seems a subject best left for the other side of the forum.

That said, if one of our resident Libertarians wants to offer a primer on the subject here, I'd permit it with the caveat that debates arising from the thread be taken to General Comments.

[ June 02, 2008, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Paladine ]

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see the Judaism thread revived here, and even one on Islam if anyone is qualified.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If other people will weigh in I'll start a thread on homesteading.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OM could you move my physics thread over here?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

I've tried, Ev. Something's wonky with the "move thread" function and I turned it over to the web administrator. He has the full list of "Ornery U" threads that were started in General, and I know he'll get them over here when he can.

You could restart it, if you want, and post a link to the original one. When and if the original thread gets moved here I can edit the link to correct the pointer. It seems a shame to let all those discussions languish during the interim.

OceanRunner
Member # 5605

quote:
I'm good at Microsoft Excel. I don't think it'd do any good to offer a tutorial, but I'm good at solving problems. I've considered trying to become a consultant for developing effective spreadsheet applications, but don't quite know how to generate business. Anyway, if someone has a problem or question on how to do something with Excel*, I might be able to help.
Scifi, you just became my new best friend. [Smile] I'm getting my butt kicked by Excel in my Corporate Finance class as the requirements get more and more complex. Excel is a great tool, but so far it's not necessarily working for me... I've found some online tutorials and such that help, but when I have a more involved problem, I may well be asking for help.
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My skills are in Laboratory medicine and lab robotics. I am happy to answer any questions on these areas but I am guessing the demand for these is also in limited demand. I also know alot of graet vacation locations in the North East particularly for those that enjoy outdoor activities.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

Oooh, ooh, can we kick off that poker thread that KE offered at one point?

I've never gambled before, but playing poker weekly has become one of my little social events. And I'm hemorraging chips... which hurts for me. Even at $0.10 and $0.20 buy-ins, I'm protective of my money and I don't like losing! [Smile]

Paladine
Member # 1932

We absolutely can, OR. [Smile]

It's actually located on this forum, if you want to give it a bump with whatever questions you might have. I started off playing those same stakes, so I'll be happy to answer. [Wink]

OceanRunner
Member # 5605

Awesome! I had my first good poker session on Friday, when I actually MADE money instead of losing it (albeit not much). Still a lot to figure out, though.
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

Incidentally, if anyone is not seeing the older threads that the webmaster did indeed migrate over here, try setting your "show topics from..." preference on the forum's front page to "from last year."

I discovered this was why I "couldn't" move the threads even though the function said I had. [Embarrassed]

Paladine
Member # 1932

http://www.ornery.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000015;p=0&r=nfx

If you want to post any questions or comments about it, OR. Good job [Smile]

seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paladine:

I'm still waiting for the promised chess thread.

I'm really hoping to get some tips on how to improve my game in a more organized fashion.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruo
Member # 5305

- posted      Profile for ruo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like someone to explain, using very elementary terms (and/or providing a glossary), how Mac users can avoid picking up malware, viruses, keystroke loggers and the like.

And how to do this without spending any money.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

Ah, sorry SP! I didn't see this thread had a new post until Ruo's. [Frown] I'll be happy to start that up in the next few days.
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see something on guitar specifically. I've been playing seriously for about a year now and while I don't think I'm ready for theory just yet (I'm a bit leary of the music theory thread) I'd like to be able to talk to someone about guitar. There were a couple of people I talked to a few months ago but that was before the OU board appeared and I regrettably can't remember who it was I talked to. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psudo
Member # 6403

- posted      Profile for Psudo   Email Psudo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only talent I can imagine being in demand is a hobbyist's knowledge of logic and logical fallacies. I also know a fair amount about of trivia about our solar system, it's physics, and it's composition.

I also know some basics of computer programming (especially web stuff: HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and computer science; probably not enough to headline a thread, but perhaps enough to contribute.

[ January 15, 2009, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Psudo ]

Posts: 229 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

A basic programming thread might be really cool. I know we have quite a few programmers on OA. Anyone care to get one started? Incidentally, welcome aboard, Psudo! [Smile]
Psudo
Member # 6403

- posted      Profile for Psudo   Email Psudo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went and started one. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew.

Thanks for the welcome, Paladine! It's good to be here.

Posts: 229 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody ever answer caladbolg1125's request for a "Guitar" thread? I and my son would be very interested in any information anybody could pass on. Assuming he passes the tenth grade (he's missed a lot of days) he will be taking guitar lessons this summer. I told my wife that I'm glad she wasn't John Lennon's mother. [Wink]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sky
Member # 6452

- posted      Profile for Sky   Email Sky       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the web design blog ever put up? I think Jordan offered.

Also, I suspect 'introduction' and 'application' lectures would be popular around here. I was always annoyed in high school that, even if we got an introduction to whatever the hell we were studying, we never got backup on how the stupid stuff might come in handy.

For example, an outline of Latin (all the conjugations and declensions and how adjectives have to decline too and all that stuff) would be handy. And then an applications lecture on how useful it might be -- like running for Pope or learning Spanish or something.

Anyway, I think lots of people would be interested in reading overviews of such things. So many sites on different learning sites are so proprietory. There was a site on introductory Latin that was so annoying because you got the impression he'd invented the language.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Praetorian
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for Praetorian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone interested in a Basic Electricty thread? I teach this all the time in my current profession.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page