Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery American Book Club » Books that put tears in your eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books that put tears in your eyes
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Author Topic: Books that put tears in your eyes
philnotfil
Member # 1881

posted July 08, 2009 12:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Songmaster by Orson Scott Card, the thought that went through my mind was "well done thou good and faithful servant".

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K.Rowling, when Harry digs Dobby's grave.

The Last Colony by John Scalzi, the last couple of paragraphs (but the last sentence made me laugh).

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card, the Absolom line by Bean.

These two are short stories, but I'll include them anyway:

The Green Hills of Earth by Robert Heinlein.

The Long Watch by Robert Heinlein.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

msquared
Member # 113

posted July 08, 2009 12:34 PM
The last few pages of The High King by Lloyd Alexander.

msquared

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

posted July 08, 2009 02:27 PM
Probably half the pages of The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Wayward Son
Member # 210

posted July 08, 2009 02:41 PM
The climatic, Christmas scene from Card's The Lost Boys.

[ July 08, 2009, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

posted July 08, 2009 08:30 PM
Flowers for Algernon

G2
Member # 2942

posted July 08, 2009 08:35 PM
The Audacity of Hope. I laughed until I cried.

TommySama
Member # 2780

posted July 08, 2009 09:37 PM
Audacity of Hope just made me feel embarrassed

Catch-22. Laugh until you cry, and want to cry at some of the sad scenes

Rallan
Member # 1936

posted July 08, 2009 09:56 PM
Can't think of any books that move me to tears. Although the rather obscure Thomas M. Disch title "The Genocides" was so bonecrushingly depressing that I'll probably never read it a second time.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

posted July 08, 2009 11:01 PM
Ah, Disch. A very superior literary stylist, at least for his time as an active sci-fi author, but he seemed to evade putting his loving heart into his works.

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bit thats always got me is in
"Of Mice and Men" when George has to kill Lennie because he knows that he will suffer a worse death at the hands of Curley's lynch mob.
Read it in school and cried my eyes out. Bought the book as an adult and still cried my eyes out.
To this day I still cant bring myself to watch it on screen. I think it would probably finish me off! [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished reading The Old Man and the Sea. His return voyage home with the sharks made me very sad.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was surprised that the first thing that came to my mind was the end of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, when the author realizes his failure to literally see the world through his son's eyes (because his son was behind him on the motorcycle and couldn't see anything the whole trip). A wonderful description of empathy, and the impact when it is lacking.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a similar situation in the follow up book Lila. Have you read it?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read Lila, though the similar situation isn't jumping out at me. I've read, or rather listened to Zen probably 6 times, but I've only read Lila twice, and not recently.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

**Spoiler Alert**

At the end when Lila believes that Pirsig is trying to murder her when he just resolved to take care of her for the rest of her life is the part I'm talking about. It was so sad for both characters.

**End Spoiler Alert**

[ July 16, 2009, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: JoshuaD ]

aupton15
Member # 1771

Oh, of course. It's just been too long since I read the sequel. Interesting how both books end with the realization that there was a fundamental misunderstanding throughout.

If you're not sick of hearing about Iraq, I recommend The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford. He was in the Florida National Guard and was deployed to Iraq, and wrote this sort of as a journal I guess. To me, it was sort of like reading Full Metal Jacket or something.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page