Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » Ornery American Book Club » Fantasy Book Recommendation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fantasy Book Recommendation?
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in withdrawal. I finished George R. R. Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" almost immediately after it was released.

In order to satiate the desire created by that series, I picked up Rothfuss's "The Name of the Wind", and the sequel, "The Wise Man's Fear". It helped. For a week. Now I'm hungry for fantasy again, and I don't know where to turn.

Any suggestions?

[ January 19, 2012, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: JoshuaD ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner?
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brandon Sanderson Mistborn series?

I have also just started the Temeraire series. So far it is pretty good.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes, Temeraire, by Naomi Novik, starts with His Majesty's Dragon, good stuff. Well, at least the first four books, books five and especially six felt like the publisher was pushing it more than the author had more story to tell.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ordered the Mistborn series. Thanks mark!
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Just finished the first book of the mistborn series. Really good. I'm interested to see where it'll go from here, since the story ended without too many loose ends.
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshuaD:
Just finished the first book of the mistborn series. Really good. I'm interested to see where it'll go from here, since the story ended without too many loose ends.

Heh. Its a great series, and there are *tons* of loose ends there; they are just well hidden. Its actually one of the coolest reversals in fantasy; you're in for a treat.
Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Masterman:
quote:
Originally posted by JoshuaD:

Heh. Its a great series, and there are *tons* of loose ends there; they are just well hidden. Its actually one of the coolest reversals in fantasy; you're in for a treat.
*****SPOILER*****
:-D I have a few guesses which way it will go, but I was really surprised that Vin killed the Lord Ruler at the end. I expected him to be a presence until the 3rd book.
*****END SPOILER******

JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Just finished the second book, and a little into the third. Really, really enjoying this series.

****Spoiler****
I have the suspicion that we're going to see Elend become a new Lord Ruler. It seem that the Lord Ruler wasn't a bad man, he was just taking the long-view in terms of the war against Ruin.

I could see Elend/Vin turning into that. They've already started making hard cost-analysis decisions (forcing peasants into to the mist), and it's not too far to get from there to where the Lord Ruler was.
****Spoiler****

JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Well that series was just amazing.
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you finish that series try and find the stand alone book, The Alloy of Law. It is set 300 years in the future and is a mix of western/sci-fi/fantasy magic. Two of the most entertaining characters I have read in a while. I wish he would make a trilogy with the two/three main characters from that book.

I was wondering why he has not done any more of the Mistborn (he plans 3 sets of 3 books) and then found he was the one chosen to finish the Wheel of Time books for Robert Jordan's estate. So he has been working on those. I think he is almost finished with those and that he will be able to get back to the Mistborn series.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Yea, I finished it last night. I just couldn't put the book down. I felt like sometimes he got a little repetitive (I didn't need allomancy explained to me again in the middle of the 3rd book), but I loved the story. It did a great job with all of the characters, especially the Lord Ruler.
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lois Bujold McMaster
- The Sharing Knife (four books in the series)
- Curse of Chalion
- Paladin of Souls

I only started reading her work after seeing an article on a website, and then it was "Why didn't I know about the only other author other than Heinlein to win four Hugo awards?"

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way of Kings and Elantris by Sanderson as well.

The Monster Hunter International series and the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia are modern/alt history fantasy.

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.

That ought to keep you busy, assuming you haven't read them already.

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Sweet! Thanks.

I've been reading the Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham. The third book is coming out in a few weeks, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I've also been reading The Expance. I've really enjoyed the first two books.

And I just bought the Long Price Quartet, which I've heard good things about, but haven't read yet.

I'll definitely get around to your recommendations though, thanks. [Smile]

Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudos to the landlord

Just read The Lost Gate and the Gate Thief and they were terrific! Only downside is that the final book in the series is not yet written.

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page