Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The solution to eradicating Malaria is building a better mosquito

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The solution to eradicating Malaria is building a better mosquito
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This news is so cool. News release,

quote:
A genetically modified (GM) strain of malaria-resistant mosquito has been created that is better able to survive than disease-carrying insects.

It gives new impetus to one strategy for controlling the disease: introduce the GM insects into wild populations in the hope that they will take over.

The insect carries a gene that prevents infection by the malaria parasite.

If you read on you will notice that the "good" mosquitos have also been modified to have florescent green eyes. [Cool]
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

Well, if it's really successful, and the mosquitos can't contract the (harmful to them, right?) disease, AND are better able to survive, then all for it!

The article says that the mosquitos are harmed by the disease anyway, and thus a kind that can't contract the disease would be more able to live and outcompete.

I'd imagine it would take a lot of mosquitos to work, though. Or at least to be sure, right?

This is actually pretty cool. Viva le genetic engineering!

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danger! Danger! Warning, Will Robinson! Someone is approaching perilously close to the Law of Unintended Consequences! [Smile]

Which is why, I suspect, they stated they's a long way from actually releasing them into the wild. Better study this one REAL good.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can imagine myself about to swat a mosquito, then I see the green eyes pleading with me, and letting her gorge herself on my blood so that she may reproduce and perpetuate the superior race.

Really, how vital to an ecosystem are mosquitos? I would love to see them eradicated like polio.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with EDanall. You can't win a game when you have only a hazy understanding of the rules. Think of those unintended consequences as entropy. We have absolutely no way to predict what their mutation tendencies (frequency, kind) will be once the genes are out in the wild.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

Okay, how about genetically engineering them to not leave an itchy welt after they bite?
WeAreAllJust LooseChange
Member # 3411

- posted      Profile for WeAreAllJust LooseChange         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The solution to eradicate Malaria is - building a better human!

This news is so cool! News Release

Posts: 174 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
Okay, how about genetically engineering them to not leave an itchy welt after they bite?
I think that would be acceptable, but in return you have to agree to support a genetic mutation that makes a dog use a litter box from birth. Such kuppies would grow up to become cogs.
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next, cats that change their own freaking litter boxes (they won't mind if it means staying ahead of the dogs, er, cogs).

So, do we know if birds and bats find the new skeeters tasty?

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

The new Genuflex Swallow(tm) does very much. Pending outcome of negotiations with investors, it also won't leave souvenirs on American made cars.
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can imagine myself about to swat a mosquito, then I see the green eyes pleading with me, and letting her gorge herself on my blood so that she may reproduce and perpetuate the superior race.
All hail the Hypno-mosquito!

quote:
So, do we know if birds and bats find the new skeeters tasty?
Praise be unto the Hypno-mosquito!
Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Okay, how about genetically engineering them to not leave an itchy welt after they bite?"

Or how about genetically engineering them to be cuddly bunnies?

I'm a bit wary about making too many changes. I can see the malaria immunity as worthwhile (until we can rely on mosquitoes to get vaccinated) but we shouldn't go any farther than that.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed J.B. hadn't covered this already, but according to wikipedia

quote:
Malaria is presently endemic in a broad band around the equator, in areas of South America, South and Southeast Asia, parts of the Middle East and Oceania, and much of Africa; however, it is in sub-Saharan Africa where 85– 90% of malaria fatalities occur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria#Distribution_and_impact

Because so much of this disease is found in Africa, it can be safely assumed that black Africans are the primary carrier and spreader of the disease.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else think it's interesting that Africa, which only contains 14% of the total world population is responsible for 80-90% of the deaths caused by Malaria?
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to have dolphins genetically engineered so that they have opposable thumbs and voice boxes that can speak our language.

Then we'll see just how smart they really are.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

I think the outcome of your test would cause incredible distress throughout the religious community. Perhaps if we also engineer them to have an ironic sense of humor and an irritating laugh, we can retain our sense of superiority.
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The solution is DDT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1677073.stm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/15/AR2006091501012.html

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DDT has been in cyclical, widespread use since the middle of the last century. It is only one weapon in the arsenal, and on its own is insufficient to either eradicate or even continuously control malaria outbreaks.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DonaldD:
DDT has been in cyclical, widespread use since the middle of the last century. It is only one weapon in the arsenal, and on its own is insufficient to either eradicate or even continuously control malaria outbreaks.

I don't think that is entirely true. The reason that DDT becomes less effective is because the insects develop resistance to the chemical. This happens when DDT is used for disease control (mainly indoors in small amounts) and for crop spraying. If used selectively, it can be safe and very effective. I will dig up some articles.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

Here is one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=9284373&dopt=Abstract

Sunshine
Member # 2990

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The regions where malaria are found are also where the allele for the sickle cell trait can be found. Carriers of the allele turn out to exhibit resistance to malaria, but the down side is people with two alleles exhibit sickle cell anemia, a really crappy disease.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Malaria is presently endemic in a broad band around the equator, in areas of South America, South and Southeast Asia, parts of the Middle East and Oceania, and much of Africa; however, it is in sub-Saharan Africa where 85– 90% of malaria fatalities occur.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gone off about DDT myself more than once, though having done it I really don't feel like digging up all the links again.

The entire nation of South Africa managed an 80% or so reduction in Malaria cases using only a couple tons of DDT nation wide.

Tommy-

Yeah, I do think it's interesting. See, Malaria used to be endemic to Italy, the Southern part of the US...and a lot of other regions...untill those folks started draining stagnant ponds.

A few tens of millions a year spent on Vector Control would do a lot more to help the people of Africa than all the medical research currently going on.

News Headline in ten years?

"GM Mosquitos, not kept in check by Malaria, start West Nile epidemic in Sub-Saharan Africa."

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 2990

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing the little things that can change an environment for-- well disease in this case. For example, plastic bags (you know the kind from grocery stores) get tossed out fairly regularly. Unfortunately in Africa, they have become a huge problem because they collect water, which is the breeding ground for mosquitos, and voila the malaria rates increase. I think some of the countries have recently made a ban on really cheap thin bags. People are more likely to save the thicker ones that don't break as easily.
Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of threads where we discussed DDT in the past:

Thread 1

Thread 2

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page