Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Anyone know anything about Charlotte NC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Charlotte NC?
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy all. I'm getting my affairs in order and will - most likely - be moving to Charlotte in the next few months. NJ isn't "doing it" for me...

I don't know much about the area, but it just feels like the right move for a couple different reasons.

Any fellow Ornerians from Charlotte or have lived there before? What can you tell me about it?

Thanks

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnson
Member # 2385

- posted      Profile for johnson   Email johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlotte has a very low cost of living compared to other cities. It's extremely "new" in that its growth happened very suddenly and recently. There are a lot of northerners, particularly from Ohio, who have migrated down.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O-H! Then I'll be right at home.

On visits there I've noticed the many similarities to Columbus.

Coming from a few years in NJ, the housing costs down there have me jumping for joy. I might just be able to swing buying one for cash – or at least pay for ½ up front and have a minuscule mortgage – from the sale of my ridiculously overpriced NJ home.

What about cultural stuff... Sure, Dale Jr. lives in the area and they have the Panthers, but those don't count.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of my good friends moved to that area about ten years ago, and they love it. For some extracts from guides,
quote:
The city of Charlotte is considered to be both the economic and cultural center of North and South Carolina.
quote:
...citizens have helped to make Charlotte the largest city between Washington, D.C. and Dallas, Texas with a population of over 614,000.With its moderate temperature (average highs of 75 degrees and average lows of 69 degrees) plus its proximity to the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean on the state’s eastern shore and the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains to the west of the city, Charlotte is the number one travel destination in the Carolinas.
quote:
Over the past 10 years, more than 8,400 new firms have opened in Charlotte. This increase caused an influx to the city’s economy of $9.6 billion in the expansion of new facilities and an increase of over 77,000 new jobs for area workers.
What's not to like? A diverse population and a lot of high tech industries have concentrated around the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

All reasons why I'm going there. I work in communications and/or IT...

Accoding to my friend's wife, who works for Wachovia, Charlotte is closing in on NYC as the banking capital of the US.

IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The center of NASCAR, Charlotte is. I have family in that area, but don't talk with them very often. And expect hot and humid summers (I remember that much from spending time down there).
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't some hot-shot, loudmouth Mormon author live around there somewhere?

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

Greensboro - a bit north of there... Hour and an half drive up I 77. Spittin' distance for the south, I suppose. Close enough to picket his house next time I don't like his column [Wink]
sacrip2
Member # 3288

- posted      Profile for sacrip2   Email sacrip2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in Charlotte for about 3 years, working as a security officer for one of the Wachovia buildings downtown. Not too bad, as far as cities go. If you're going to be working where all the big buildings are, then you're not too likely to hear many southern accents. Seems like everybody's from New York in the banking industry. About 3 miles east of downtown on 7th street you'll find a nice little place called Lupe's. Good food for the family for under $20.

And if you go to Wachovia 3 on 2nd and Tryon, tell the security there that Crippen says hi.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

Not like one can move there and avoid Wachovia, but a few recruiters I've been in contact with are representing Wachovia... will do.

Lupe's... sounds like Mexican - will definitely check it out. You'd think NJ is good for that, but 75% of the restaurants here are Italian - very good Italian, but too much of a good thing, you know how that goes.

It's the same in Columbus - a growing, young professional, service sector type city. Having went to high school there, most new folks I met in the professional environment were not from there originally.

Thanks for the pointers

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of North America's most gently beautiful regions, 's all I gots to say.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stormghost
Member # 853

- posted      Profile for stormghost   Email stormghost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister lives in the Queen City, and has for many years. They live on the south side of town, near the airport. It's pretty nice. Traffic's not bad compared to DC (where we used to live), but the highways aren't as big so they can clog up quickly. They get some ice storms most winters (not this year), but hardly any snow--especially compared to Jersey [Smile] .

Oh, and to be picky, it's a straight shot to get to Greensboro on I-85; I-77 takes you out of the way, then you have to go back on -40.

Best,
G

Posts: 237 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

I-85? DOH! In that case, I'll pass right by on my way down this weekend... Yes, I know, not the most direct route, but I’m making a pit stop in the DC area to visit some friends for a few days before hand.
Say what you will about an “evil large corporation” – working for one with 80-some offices around the country makes for nice traveling without having to take any vacation time [Smile]

On the highway thing, they are nearing completion of the outer belt - or so my friend tells me, and that's helping with the traffic a lot. However, the growth on the south side is already making them look at expanding the width of the outer belt before they even complete the loop.

[ March 29, 2007, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: jm0397 ]

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll quibble with the travel guide quote from above. Atlanta dwarfs Charlotte, N.C. in population size and geography. I guess if you are only counting city limit populations, Charlotte might have an edge. I think Charlotte has a larger geographic area under incorporation. But in terms of metro area geographic scale and population, Atlanta simply eats Charlotte alive. Last time I drove by the population meter on Peachtree Street, we had topped 4 million. In terms of obvious downtown sizes and such, Charlotte is comparable to Marietta, GA. Between the old town center and the skyscrapers along the I-75/I-285 interchange, Marietta has not only a simular metro area but also populaton compared to Charlotte. But no one ever really notices because Marietta is so overshadowed by Atlanta.

As someone once said to me, Marietta would be a state capitol if it was located west of the Mississippi. That said, Marietta is a lot like Charlotte when you compare the two. Still has somewhat of an Old South feel to it, even if the two are swamped by employees of multinationals. Not so sure of Charlotte's demographic origins of its workforce, but having HP, Peachtree Software, Scientific America, and a large Apple footprint has made Marietta into a California East.

Travel around Charlotte is light years ahead of the congestion problems of a place like NJ. But its really only because there simply aren't as many people. Plus you get th drawback that NC has some pretty horrid roads-including their interstates. You don't have things like the Parkway or Turnpike that makes transit easier. But you also don't have traffic circles. Although they are being increasingly advocated as solutions by Northern Transplants. My city now has 3. I suspect Charlotte is getting the same type of pressure.

Charlotte is a prety or handsome city depending on your particular view as to how one should discribe a city that is pretty to the eye. Its also "new" in the sense that what is now he main part and focus of people's lives archetectually hasn't been around very long. It's not like New England or even the tri-city area where buildings and landmarks are routinely 300 years old.

One thing that is going to suck is housing. You will be able to sell your NJ house and turn around and buy a McMansion in one of the commuter subdivisions. But you'll also be buying a commute from Hell everyday, and your neighbor will be able to gear you fart in your bathroom. Plus if it's like most new developments, you won't have a single tree in your yard older than 1 year. Shadetrees in the South are the only way to beat the heat in the summer.

A better bet would be to turn your NJ property funds into a downpayment on one of the older houses in the city proper. And you will pay for it through the nose depending upon how old the neighborhood is, how well restored the property is, and how old your shade trees are. If your brave get a moneypit and do it yourself, saving upfront costs.

Food has always been good in Charlotte. BBQ rocks because you can find both red sauce and vinager sauce base BBQ. Never been to their arts or museums. I assume they have them. Airport is a bit tiny but I'd imagine its less a pain than JFK or Atlantas if your traveling offsite for your job.

And of the people I have met from there-all nice. Sure there are axe murderers in Charlotte, just haven't met them yet. Next door neighbors were from Charlotte, so I heard alot about how much nicer the weather was in terms of heat during the summer.

anyway jihadi terrorist toddler is awake and demanding his juice cup in no uncertain terms.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

Thanks, Red...

For the record, I have an utter disdain for mcmansions and new developments that mowed down all the greenspace. I'm quite handy with cosmetic rehab - kitchens, baths, flooring, drywall, but won't mess with heavy electric or major carpentry, so will probably get a fixer-upper, but stop short of a true moneypit.

I'm finding some decent looking places just a bit outside of the outerbelt with an acre or two...

And I live north of Trenton very close to the Deleware in NJ, so no parkways and, actually, the traffic isn’t bad at all. I go all country roads to the office – 30 min for 18 miles and only a few stop lights. I can even make left-hand turns in most areas around my house! If you haven't been to NJ before, the infamous no left turn jug handles are what I'm talking about, but they do make a certain amount of sense once you get used to them.

Checking out the DC area yesterday and today, also… Nice here, but shyt, I thought NJ was high for real estate prices, this place is even worse!

johnson
Member # 2385

- posted      Profile for johnson   Email johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redskull, I agree 100% about the subdivisons, the "neighbor hearing you fart in the bathroon", and the need for shade trees which are sadly lacking in those subdivisions.

However, as far as roads go, NC isn't really that bad. Charlotte's a mess, they'll never catch up with demand, and the roads around the Triangle are, IMHO, atrocious on every level, and I mean that sincerely. The Triad is also pretty bad in some spots. However, the rest of the state is fine as far as roads go.

[ March 30, 2007, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: johnson ]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J.B
Member # 3572

- posted      Profile for J.B         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlotte is the 8th most dangerous city in the country:

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#500,000+

Posts: 389 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JB
I have misjudged you. Your complete lack of context in statistics has nothing to do with skin color. Rather your complete lack of statistical context is due to your complete lack of knowledge in how to apply context to statistical studies.

However, your still off base in terms of relevant input to a topic.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

Considering I spent most my life in Columbus, at #9, it'll be business as usual.

That's 8th most dangerous in the cities with 500,000+. If you notice on the overall city and overall metro area lists, Charlotte doesn't break the top 25.

But Trenton NJ is, and I live only 30 min from there... And an hour from Camden - the "murder capital" for a few years running. I'd say it sounds like I'm moving up in the world. [Smile]

Red, give him a few minutes... I'm sure he/she'll follow up with they are most dangerous because they are black areas, or something enlightening like that.

johnson
Member # 2385

I don't even begin to trust that study. It listed Honolulu as a safe city. Anybody here ever tried walking through the poor neighborhoods in Honolulu during the DAYTIME, much less at night? Man, the Hawaiians in Honolulu make Louis Farrakhan seem like an Uncle Tom. Most of them HATE white people. I'm talking about, I grew up around black kids from the projects who would punch you if you looked at them wrong. Nearly every one of them has done time for dealing drugs since we graduated high school. They all, in retrospect, seem like Boy Scouts compared to the indigent Hawaiians in Honolulu.

Charlotte has always seemed pretty safe to me. It's a got a couple of questionable areas, but it's really pretty safe, IME.

[ March 30, 2007, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: johnson ]

J.B
Member # 3572

quote:
Originally posted by jm0397:
they are most dangerous because they are black areas, or something enlightening like that.

http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/70855.html
Posts: 389 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was in my local news today that two cops there just got killed in the line of duty. I do not think two Houston cops being killed would make the news in Charlotte.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

First cops killed in many, many years here... That's why it's big news.

Oh, and of course it goes without saying that white people never shoot at or kill police officers.

J.B
Member # 3572

quote:
Originally posted by jm0397:

Oh, and of course it goes without saying that white people never shoot at or kill police officers.

OOOO it happens, but with blacks it just happens a hell of alot more.
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

While most of my belongings and the critters have yet to catch up to me, I'm now in Charlotte for good.

If any of you regulars are ever passing through, let me know.

-Colin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page