Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Truck Owners: Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Truck Owners: Help
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My company is buying me a new four door truck. Do any of you have any suggestions on which one I should get? I think foreign trucks are out as they being in St. Louis have this picture of Texas as being a bunch of Rednecks. I don't know where they get that.

Any advice will be appreciated.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 2990

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hubby drives a Dodge and really likes it. His father has the latest four door Dodge and really likes it. My dad had a Dodge truck before he died, but he really liked it.
A friend of ours has the Toyota something or another, and he's not quite as happy with it as he had hoped, but he doesn't hate it.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You heard it - be bought a Dodge and now he's dead. Be careful man.
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 2990

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[LOL]
That was funny.

[ March 31, 2007, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Sunshine ]

Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sampler
Member # 3996

- posted      Profile for Sampler   Email Sampler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend the Chevrolet Silverado with z-71 off-road package. (it does more than help with off-road, it is an amazing long-lasting suspension and frame-supporting system. It is also one of the safest trucks out there. It got motor trend's 2007 truck of the year award. I have a 92 silverado with z-71 package and it has 320K miles and is still running fine.

[ March 31, 2007, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Sampler ]

Posts: 422 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 2990

We've run into several Dodge owners who have made multiple cross-country trips in their trucks and are still doing fine with several hundred thousand on the odometer. Hubby's truck only has 90 thou but it's running well and has been from WA state to AZ state and back more than once.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, I totally do not have any sympathy for you.

No idea on the truck.

But: You go!

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

No sympathy? Why not? Not that I need or deserve any sympathy! How are things going with you, by the way?

And speaking of not deserving or needing sympathy; I'm going, just as fast and hard as I can. In fact, things are so good I can't believe it!

Would it jinx it if I said things are as good now as they've been in ten years? (Since Jake was 3 years old and got his head crushed and had to be life-flighted, my best friend drowned in Cancun, and I lost my job, all in a six month period.)

I mean everything is great! And I feel great! financial, employment, family, mental health, and friends (y'all, but don't let it go to y'all's heads. I appreciate all the prayers, good thoughts, advice, and support. Not to mention a place to vent!).

I've even started working out again! Good thing I'm an optimist or I'd be expecting something really bad to happen.

Goes to show if you keep on keeping on eventually things can turn around, neh?

The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades! Hey, and now I can afford them!

KE

[ April 01, 2007, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

My next endeavor after I get caught up on my bills teeth (got dental insurance, yes! [Smile] etc. (And my oldest has a benign cyst that we might have to have cut out, but we have medical insurance, too! [Smile] finally) is to get Ken's health problems fixed.

(He and a lot of people here pitched in and helped out to get me out of pain when my teeth were really bad and I couldn't do anything about them but borrow Crown Royal from my dad and drink shooters to sleep at night. And I don't like to drink! So, in a few months I'm going to get the ball rolling by pitching in to help Ken out. Start saving your nickles and dimes. Every little bit helps, and it may be you we are all helping out of pain or a jam next. [Smile]

KE

[ April 01, 2007, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Sunshine
Member # 2990

Is Ken somebody on the board or a family member? I usually donate my stuff to the local DD centers whose trucks come and pick them up, but I can have a yard sale now that spring is here.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Kenmear, is one of our members. He headed the drive to raise funds to help me get some of my teeth pulled out and he has been having some medical problems of his own. I'll talk to him and find out more when I get closer to having the funds to getting this going. I really appreciate the interest.

IMO it's nice when we can help people in our little community here. [Smile] We fight like family so we might as well help out like family, when we can.

KE

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'all, my health problems are permanent, incurable, and largely covered by my insurance. $$$ is not the issue in that respect.

But there is probably someone here who is now or soon will be facing a health hurdle largely financial in nature. Whomever that may be, I recommend you not be shy or silly but simply contact Kinght Ender privately (click the 'envelope icon' atop any of his posts, and explain your situation.

Don't be shy.

KE: are Toyota or Honda engines still the most reliable? If this were the 80s or 90s, I know I'd go for one of them buggers. My oldest son is driving an '89 Toyoata 4-banger that we got used. It's pushing 200K and still feisty.

MY health problems now, such as they can be improved, require me to purchase a little saline spray and Preparation H once a month.

Yes, I use Preparation H in my nose. It's done more to prevent my chronic several-times-daily nosebleeds than anything.

Someday I'm gonna squirt Afrin up my ass just to show I can.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Preperation H will also take those dark circles out from under your eyes. Just FYI if anyone ever needs it. Prep H is a wonder drug!

Ken,

I'm glad to hear that insurance is taking care of you.

And the rest of you Ken is right, don't be shy, contact me if there is any way we can help. I guess we'll go by need or seniority. If there is more than one. In which case I'll probably privately poll some of the older members or the ones pitching in. I won't reveal names to them or anybody else if that is an issue.

KE

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consumer Reports compares trucks periodically. The last report I read claimed there was no such thing as a bad American truck, so choice depended on what options you wanted. And they said American trucks were better designed for American road conditions than foreign ones, plus being easier to get repaired if necessary. That differs from the situation for cars, for which the Japanese top everyone else.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken-

Toyota can't sell the 22r series in the US anymore-big four banger = too much smog.

They still make good engines, good vehicles, but that was simply the most reliable production engine ever made.

My Dad has 320k on his 84, I have 175k on my 93, the wife has 140 k on her 94, and none of them has ever needed anything but basic matainance.

Even with EFI, the only thing easier to work on is an old Volkswagon, and parts are dirt cheap and readily available.

If you were buying a used truck, looking for 10 years old or more, it's an absolute no-brainer.

American trucks in the late 80's and early 90's SUCKED out loud. Especially in the "light duty" catagory, Rangers and S-10s and such were just baked crap. I knew many friends that had em, and were getting engines overhauled before 100,000 miles.

Domestic manufacturers have improved a lot, and Toyota has unfortunately gotten into making trucks for college girls and suburbanites that want to present the image of "toughness" instead of making cheap, reliable, utilitarian work vehicles.

My question to you, KE, is - Who is buying most of the gas for this sucker? You, or the company?

[ April 01, 2007, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Chevy. They look the most businesslike of all the american makes.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

This is KE's wife, he is out of town so I have taken over the truck discussion.

In response to the above post, Chevy may be most business like, but I just don't like them. I drive a Chevy Malibu, and little things just keep falling off or stop working and we had a Chevy truck in the early 90's and I wasn't pleased with it either. But really it all comes down to I really like the look of the Dodge. I think the body style is the prettiest, I know that isn't the most important thing, but hey I am a girl what can I say.

About the gas, the company is giving him a gas card. If we were forking over gas money you could be sure we would NOT be getting a truck.

Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has a 4-door F150 2-wheel drive for her personal truck, and a 6-speed extended cab (with the extra little doors but they do make a true 4-door) Toyota Tocoma SR5 4WD V-6 for her work truck. It's almost as big as the Ford and quite powerful for a V-6 (towing capacity at about ¾ the Ford) but a little smoother on the road and better on gas. Her Vet clinic uses all Toyotas. They drive the crap outta those trucks and, in 2+ years she’s been with the clinic, they’ve never had one break down – just in the shop on occasion for routine maintenance. They probably average 40k miles a year or more on those trucks. Her old one was a 2002 with 180k miles on it when she got the new one in October. It still ran very strong with no issues. You’ll find similar stories about all trucks, FWIW.

The Ford is just a good all around truck.

Even in Texas these days I don't think you'll have trouble if you go with an import. I think the Toyotas are leading over the Hondas. The Titans are finally competing with the American models for towing power and ruggedness, but the Tocomas are quite good sized compared to a few years ago when resembled the rivaled the old Ford Rangers.

For your part of the country, you really don't need 4WD and the ride will be a teeny bit smoother with a 2WD - and you'll be able to get more for the money without a 4wd package.

One of my buddies is a regional franchise consultant for Taco Bell and he drives all over the Midwest. He's a big guy, so got a truck. He has the same truck my wife has (but in 4WD) and never has had a problem or complaint in several years and probably over 100k miles now.

My brother in law has a 4-door Dodge with an extended bed and the larger engine – not the Hemi, but one step down. Other than gas mileage, he loves it and has never had a problem. Personally, I like the look of the Dodge over the Ford or Chevys – it just looks meaner and badder.

The consumer report thing is accurate. You won't get a bad truck any which way you go. They all are very reliable and rugged. As someone already pointed out, you can forget worrying about that, and just focus on looks (to keep your wife happy) and comfort for the long hours you'll be in it.

Personally, I think my wife's work Toyota is more comfortable than her F150... but the Ford is bigger and has more towing power. 6 of one, half-dozen the other. Go with what feels best to you.

On the making fun of myself note, I always think it's funny... My wife has 2 pickups. Until a few months ago I had a Saturn SW2 wagon. I upgraded in January to an....
Audi A4 Wagon.
What can I say, I like the room and practicality but don't want an SUV.
I call it my 5-door hatchback sports car. That almost works with the Audi, but never flew with the Saturn [Wink]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 2990

Quote:
This is KE's wife, he is out of town so I have taken over the truck discussion.

Hi, this is Mel (Sunshine is my middle name) and I'm a wife too. We have several Dodge trucks in the extended family and people have been really happy with them so far. As far as comfort, they are really great for driving, even long road trips. I've been back and forth from WA state to AZ state and back several times in the truck. Also, just the other day we were hauling a very heavy trailer and it got 15mpg which isn't bad.

My husband's work give's superintendents Chevy trucks to drive; we drove one back from AZ once. It wasn't bad, but I don't think it was as comfy as the Dodge. That could be because the work trucks are more stripped down than the personal ones? But they seem to get long miles, etc etc. But not as pretty.
I drive a Subaru Impreza AWD. Not a truck, but I love it.
Good luck shopping.

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually despise the bigger Tacoma...they make the Tundra for a reason, and they used to have the T100 in the middle.

My 1993 still gets 28 mpg highway (with CA ethenol blend-I get 30 on AZ gas [Smile] ). Toyota no longer makes a truck that gets that kind of milage.

It's true that, that when shopping for NEW trucks, there isn't that much difference between manufacturers.

That Titan thing is idiotic. Can't reach over the side of the bed to get anything, can't tie things down resting on the top of the bed rails, can't carry anything any wider than the bed...great for people who want to feel like they're driving a "truck" I guess.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I would love to have an SUV, we had a Mercury Mountaineer before and I LOVED that thing. When it is time to get me a new car, I think I am either going with the Mercury Matiner or the Mountaineer.

But for now, it is his turn and I think we have decided on the Dodge.

We really appreciate all the imput, it has helped us make a comfortable choice. It is always scary buying a car, (of course it is a little less scary since the company is actually buying it) but still we will have it for a good amount of years, I hope, so I want to get the best vehicle for the money.

Thank you again
Stacy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page