Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Incompetent Education!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Incompetent Education!!!
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ams o angry with my college right now!!

Have just been to have my interview after weeks of already finishing my first course, and they asked me do I have my progression assignment. Not having a clue what Jane was talking about I asked. She said that I should have recieved assignment questions weeks ago that I should have brought to the interview. With a shocking and very blank look on my face, she handed me a list of questions that I have to do, plaus make a cv, a letter explaining why I want to do the course, a make up chart AND next week I have to go in and do a practical on a client!!

All the while Jane was saying that I should have recieved it from my tutor weeks ago, and with the end of term looming (as in next friday!) I have just one week to get it all together! Not to mention the fact that I have to fit it all in around my part-time job!! Are they completely insane?? I would have known about the assignment weeks ago but no-one else in the class I was in are progressing to the make-up group, maybe this is why I was forgotten about [Frown]

What is wrong with education?? Are they not meant to bend over backwards to help you? Well, their incompetent actions might have cost me my course for September.

So now, I have to get my brain in gear, and live in the library for the whole week, so probably no-one will see me for the next week... [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Against stupdity the very gods themselves contend in vain."--Friedrich Schiller [Frown]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are they not meant to bend over backwards to help you?
No, they're not, actually.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The facts you learn in college will be obsolete within a decade.

The skills you learn in navigating inane systems and uncaring bureaucrats will be invaluable for the rest of your life.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

Well if they aint there to bend over backwards to help you, then why are they bothering to have teachers? They are there to TEACH you what you need to know in order for you to build your skills in preparation for the career you choose that your gonna have for the rest of your life. I know if I was a teacher I would do, so what exactly is a teacher's purpose?
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They certainly should have outlined what was expected of you. It sounds like the rest of the class knew about this part of the course except you. I am not clear why you think that is.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDeamon
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for TheDeamon   Email TheDeamon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the truely effective teachers in most subjects(besides art, lit, philosophy, and history)?

Ultimately, their job is simply to give you the tools you need to accomplish tasks within the field they're giving you instruction in.

It doesn't matter if the tasks they happen to give are realistic or not. As long as you gain an understanding of the process behind what you're doing, their job is accomplished.

[ June 13, 2007, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: TheDeamon ]

Posts: 505 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

My class didnt, like I said thats probably why I was forgotten about, because I was the only 1 in this class going on the course. But yes, they should have got to me sooner, and I do believe it was my tutors fault, but if I point fingers it will only be swept under the carpet anyway, and that might incease my chances of not getting in [Frown]

[ June 13, 2007, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The skills you learn in navigating inane systems and uncaring bureaucrats will be invaluable for the rest of your life. "

Crap. That's the only thing I refuse to learn.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Especially teh maths.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NSCutler said:
quote:
You're supposed to use the facts you learn in college as building blocks for continuing to expand your knowledge.
Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And teh spelling [Smile]

FDR - that was NSCutler. It's all about the punch line.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

good news! with a hard 7 hour slog at college today, ive managed to get most of it done bar 2 questions to which i have no clue of the answers (am gonna see if i can grab a tutor tomorrow to help me along a little)so im feeling much better about it now [Smile]
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel.

In my education classes, professors would keep saying "Keep this for your portfolio check before student teaching, if you don't have it in there you'll get in trouble." Trouble is, none of my professors could actually find a list of what was supposed to be in this mysterious portfolio. Turns out it's not actually a requirement, just a suggestion, and there is no portfolio check.

Why is this? The Education Department requires portfolio checks for the ELEMENTARY ED majors and never ever labels their e-mails as to who they're directed to - el. ed. majors, secondary ed. majors, special ed. majors, etc. So they'll just send out an e-mail saying basically "Oh hay guys, portfolio cheks are Toosday if ur gonna student teach in teh fall, ok?!?!?" even though it only applies to half the students who get the e-mail.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cutler is right. Institutions of higher learning are corporations competing on a field designed by people who couldn't do and who thus teach; except at a very few institutions this is the case.

Professoring today is a bit like working in a bank; the successful banker is the man who wants to stay close to his money. The successful professor is the man who needs the prestige of a chair to go with his CEO desk.

Quality control is not really effective until the reputations of the whole institution become a public issue. A great many such institutions, wrapt in tissue as they are, fail ultimately to compete, and fail -- because their land is so valuable (Thompson Academy 1814-1972), because they're bought out (Middlesex University, the Bank of Boston 1783-1994), because they can't face reality (Franconia College), or because they simply cannot keep up with the march of time.

It was a sad day when Mr Chipps died; it wasn't that he was irreplaceable, but his implacable enemies have done everything since to avoid hiring anybody like him again.

I hear you, scouser, I feel your pain, but hold off your biting criticisms for your valedictory speech. Perhaps you can avoid the first requests for donations from the institution -- but not before you've gotten your diploma firmly in your hands. Remember, such institutions only pay attention to donors and, when obliged, the regulators.

Save your anger, however; it's your most-valuable weapon in taking revenge -- and revenge not taken is a lost opportunity to do good.

"It is not a school's responsibility to teach the good. It is a school's responsibility to teach how to deal with the bad. That's why students have so much more to learn than they think." - K. Bernstein -

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page