Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Judge Scalia defends Jack Bauer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Judge Scalia defends Jack Bauer
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, where would you sorry wannabe bloggers be without my awesome 2nd hand reporting?

From some Canadian Rag.

quote:
"Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" Judge Scalia challenged his fellow judges. "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to see the court is finally addressing this important issue. Coming soon:

Can Bruce Banner be held liable for the actions of the Incredible Hulk?

Do police officers have just cause to search Underdog's ring for secret compartments containing controlled substances?

Does Optimus Prime fall under the jurisdiction of the INS or the DMV?

Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody get old Nino a duck to shoot at...
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some said that legal systems might do well to enforce anti-torture laws, even if it meant prosecuting rogue agents. "What if the guy is not the guy who's going to blow up Los Angeles? But some kind of innocent?" asked Lord Carlile of Berriew, a Welshman who acts as the independent reviewer of Britain's terrorism laws.

Torture can lead to false confessions, he said. "How do you protect that person's civil rights from the risk of very serious wrongful conviction?" But Lord Carlile, a barrister by training, added that he was also concerned with Jack Bauer's rights. "I'm sure I could get him off," he said.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NS

[Big Grin]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

I mean, who isn't concerned about Jack Bauer's rights here?!?!?!
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peoples' instinctive approval of Jack Bauer's methods illustrates a point I've been making for years: the ends do justify the means, and most people agree with me, even though they won't admit it.

The reason everyone always says that the ends don't justify the means is because people use rigged examples, where some individual uses a particularly horrendous means to achieve a dubious end.

But if you could save, say 1,000,000 lives by sacrificing just 1... most people instinctively agree that this means would justify that end.

It's really simple: you weigh the cost (ALL the costs) of a given action against all of the benefits, and if the benefits exceed the costs, then you know what needs to be done. It's why I would never make a blanket condemnation of torture. Whether it's right or not would depend on the circumstances. Torture to catch a drug dealer? Probably not a great idea. Torture to stop a nuke from blowing up New York? HELL YES...

[ June 20, 2007, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The belief that torture would stop a nuke from blowing up New York?

Priceless.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck Norris, on the other hand, is too tough to need Supreme Court Justices in his corner...
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

Good God Daruma, look at what you went and did to Funean.

BAD Daruma.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page