Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » September Dawn Movie Trailer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: September Dawn Movie Trailer
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quicktime version

This movie looks so "dramatical"! [LOL]

After watching the trailer, does anyone think it will be financially successful? I suppose a lot of anti-Mormon groups could end up purchasing a lot of the DVD's in bulk and using them in their ministries. Anyway, I know we already talked a little about the Mountain Meadows Massacre, but I wanted to be the first to post a link to the movie trailer.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this review in Slant. The other reviews on Rotten Tomatoes aren't any better (though there aren't many yet). So far, this looks to be a pretty irresponsible and embarrassingly bad film. Some excerpts from the review:
quote:
Forget Grindhouse. September Dawn is the year's first honest-to-goodness exploitation flick.... Cain's portrait of the Utah region's Mormons as insane-in-the-membrane zealots.... Yet the clunky, heavily skewed means by which this tale is presented is nothing short of egregious, with its Mormon characters demonized with such laughable gusto, and its Christian victims cast in such a holy, noble light, that the project quickly feels less like an attempt at historical truth-telling than like shameless anti-Mormon propaganda.... This cartoonish demonization persistently seems tied to a religious-political agenda,.... The narrative is given specious modern parallels by the highlighted fact that the massacre took place on September 11th....

[ July 18, 2007, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: drewmie ]

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Inspired by actual events"

Unfortunately fiction gets treated like reality too often in our society.

Carole's (the screenplay writer) other book Miracles Happen

It is interesting to note that they were finishing the movie in 2005 (there is a review of it from NYTimes on the September Dawn website, published on January 22nd of 2006) but took another year and a half to get it to the theaters.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only problem with the movie is that it sucks" seems to be the consensus of the critics so far. I just can't see it making any money. In the long run Mormons have been able benefit from having any story about them told, and from such a heavy handed approach I think they will get their sympathizers.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page