Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Live Free and Die - NH Bans Smoking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Live Free and Die - NH Bans Smoking
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I got off the train at South Station the other day, I was met on Track 11 by a cloud of Diesel pollution worse than soft-coal Pittsburgh, 1944. It was gagging -- and the commuters blithely walked out into layers of it, vents from the Big Dig and Massachusetts turnpike, stalled traffic, a multi-storey bus terminal, and the intersection of a dozen roads filled with traffic. Only a smoker would notice.

NH, the last hold-out state in the northeast, will ban smoking at all public and semi-private events next Monday the 17th.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view.bg?articleid=1030771
Smokophobic zealots claim that it will not hurt the restaurant business. Well, here's the real truth.

Smoking bans have seriously hurt the family-style restaurants, which have closed in record numbers since Massachusetts and New York banned smoking, and guess what? Smokers now flock to the drive-thrus of fast-food chains. Their good diets of home-cookin' and congeniality in family-style restaurants has been replaced by greasy burghers, fries, and all the conviviality of a pit stop.

A family-style restaurant founded in 1927 near me, a booming business and good for all meals, went broke in 6 months after the smoking ban. It is now a floundering Tex-Mex that wants to do take-out -- which has the Town's traffic planners at odds.

The fact is that tax revenues from family restaurants have plummeted, while family restaurant bankruptcies, fast-food revenues, and gas revenues have soared.

My fear is that the smoke-free and fart-filled will emit so much methane from fast food that Greenland will melt.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loki
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Loki   Email Loki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand someone having a problem if I was blowing smoke in their face or if it was even drifting onto them, except when they're already sucking the fumes of hundreds of automobiles. Someone actually looked at me cross for smoking, when they were literally two feet from a deadlocked PCH...

[ September 12, 2007, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Loki ]

Posts: 311 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoneSnark
Member # 2005

- posted      Profile for LoneSnark   Email LoneSnark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's nothing that does so much harm as good intentions. - Milton Friedman
Posts: 592 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KonerAtHome
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for KonerAtHome   Email KonerAtHome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I defend the smokers right to smoke. I also defend the right of non-smokers to breath cigarette smoke free air. So where do we find a "middle ground" where both smokers and non-smokers can be happy?

Using the argument that smokers should be able to smoke wherever/whenever they chose because vehicle exhaust fumes polute the air is sort of ridiculous. Unless I am mistaken, no state has banned smoking outside. Only inside of public places have smoking bans been enacted. In fact in every state that I have been in where a ban on public smoking has been enacted restraunts/bars/government buildings/stores all have smoking areas for their customers. Some of them even under cover to protect the smokers from the elements to some extent.

The fact is that smokers are notoriously inconsiderate of non-smokers when it comes to rights to smoke free air.

quote:
A family-style restaurant founded in 1927 near me, a booming business and good for all meals, went broke in 6 months after the smoking ban. It is now a floundering Tex-Mex that wants to do take-out -- which has the Town's traffic planners at odds.
An 80 year old family-style restaurant coincidentally goes out of business shortly after a smoking ban as an example of why smoking bans are bad? Please! Restaurants, let alone family-style restaurants rarely last more than a dozen years or so. It is typically only those with a gimick in a niche market that have that type of longevity. Is there a business model out there that has a shorter expected lifespan than a resaurant? With the possible exception of non-chain owned video rental stores or pizza parlors I haven't heard of one. It isn't bans on smoking that is causing the family-style/family owned restaurant to go out of business. It is the proliferation of the large chains ie Applebees, Chilis, TGI Fridays that are popping up EVERYWHERE you look.
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I defend the smokers right to smoke. I also defend the right of non-smokers to breath cigarette smoke free air.
I defend the right of private property owning businesses being able to run their establishments how they want to, and for nanny state do-gooders to STFU and stay home and eat.

And I say this as a person who really REALLY enjoys smoke-free restaurants and bars.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KonerAtHome
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for KonerAtHome   Email KonerAtHome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not defending smoking bans Daruma. I'm just saying that I understand where they are coming from. Like you I would prefer to make the choice of whether or not I want to go to a smoke filled bar or not. Whether or not I want to wear a seatbelt. Well, and the long list of other things that the government has enacted to protect me from myself and/or others.
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do raise a good point about the family style restaurants being wiped out by the corporate chain competition probably has much more to do with the reported closings than the smoking ban.

Funny thing is, you don't hear a word of protests against the likes of Chili's and Applebees...while Wal Mart doing the same thing makes them the root of all evil.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, Daruma. As you know, we still call themdrive-ins in the east, and we've had them since WWII. Maybe family-style restaurants are old-fashioned and are closing with the deaths of my father's generation, and maybe eating in exhaust-choked traffic is the new family style, but it sure happened fast. There's one left in downtown Plymouth (you know, fruit cup, lobster puff with peas and carrots, salad, grapenut pudding, bottomless coffee $7.95), but most of it's business is lunchy-poo and tourists. I'm guessing that in a 5-town radius where I knew of 22 in 2003, there are 3 left. That's pretty fast for a tradition to be killed off by fast-food joints, most of which were already here -- though no Texmex and no Thai Take Out before that.

Anyway, I don't go out to eat. 2BH, I'm not a bad cook myself [Smile] .

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

BUTTTT ...! The idea of banning smoking at The Cheshire Smokers Club in Keene seems a bit draconian to me. A few years ago they made them take the fireplace out (which burnt up the smoke) because of "safety regulations". I mean!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page