Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Guliani is the best Republican candidate to unite us

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guliani is the best Republican candidate to unite us
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have decided to throw my support to Giuliani, precisely because he is not religious and will therefore be less offensive to liberals and more likely to unite us as a country.

I like the points made by this NY Times op ed piece.

quote:
By all accounts, Mr. Giuliani is not a devout Catholic. His argument over the Virgin Mary painting was not, “You’re insulting me,” but rather, “If you’re going to use taxpayers’ dollars, you have to be sensitive to the feelings of the public.” Mr. Giuliani fought these battles because of his commitment to democracy, not because of his socially conservative convictions. Government should not use public money and public space to insult the values of the people, including the values of social conservatives.

Mr. Giuliani makes the same arguments that we pro-lifers make. But he can be more persuasive because he will not be perceived as trying to advance his own religious preferences. By taking the side of pro-lifers for democratic, but not devout, motives, a President Giuliani could shake up the nearly 35-year-old debate over Roe v. Wade.

I hope Romney is picked as his running mate so that Mormons will be able to exert their secret agendas using the 7 Habits. I'm talking about EFFECTIVE government, not just efficient.

Does anyone think that there is a better candidate to unite the nation (that is also doing well in the polls)?

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Ms. Clinton would unite a large portion of the country....
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giuliani a uniter? You really have no clue about the guy, do you?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same Giuliani that said he'd been to ground zero “as often, if not more” than the cleanup workers? Ugh. He's lying or clueless and I'm not sure which is worse.

Religiosity is *way* down on my list of important factors.

[ September 14, 2007, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Giuliani pretty much had New Yorkers united before 9/11.

They were untied in kicking him out. [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giuliani has never met a fight he would rather avoid, nor a bridge he minds burning. He is singular in this. That's sorta like saying Cheney would unite the country because he has a lesbian daughter and isn't born again like W. It's a matter of personality. Plus, despite having acted like a grown up and not reading my pet goat from an undisclosed location for one shining moment, Rudy is totally unqualified to deal with either of the main security threats we face.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four years of speeches about 9/11 would get really old. Of course if we have to have a Republican he is probably the most liberal. But I'd still take a John McCain/Ron Paul ticket. [Smile]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seriously love you guys! Thank you so much for your responses.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giulani is such toast. He's so attack ad vulnerable it's not funny.

And the attacks are gonna be vicious among the Repubs.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE: having Ron Paul on his tiocket is about the only thing that might save MCCain, I think. But it would only work if ROn joined McCain sufficiently befor4e the primaries.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Let's do this again, shall we? Kent - feel free to speak up for you newly chosen candidate (if we haven't persuaded you by now):

"Mr. Giuliani, in 2004, you recommended your friend and partner Bernard Kerik to President Bush for Secretary of Homeland Security. Shortly thereafter, Kerik was forced to withdraw his name from consideration when it came to light that he was suspected of mob ties and serious abuse of authority, among other things. This is a person you knew very closely - more closely than anyone in the administration you recommended he join. If you had had your way, and journalists had not done their job, this questionable man would now be in charge of coordinating our daily security from terror attacks. Is that the quality of personnel a Giuliani administration can be expected to bring to the task?"
"Mr. Giuliani, can you explain why you rejected the near-unanimous recommendation of all experts consulted, and insisted on placing the Command and Control Center in the city's known and proven #1 terror target (the WTC)? Is that the kind of judgment we can expect from a President Giuliani?"

Followup question: Is it true that the sole reason for this, eventually tragic decision, was the insistence that you be able to walk from City Hall to the C&C room, above all other considerations?
"Mr. Giuliani, in the statistically likely event you will fall out with the current Mrs. Giuliani, can we expect you to hold replacement trials at 1600 Pennsylvania while your estranged wife (whom you will be assaulting verbally in the courts, whether or not she bore you any kids) still resides there?"
"Mr Giuliani, why do you continue to honor and befriend a man whom the Catholic church itself removed from his position following accusations of child molestation, and also settled with his complainants?"
"Mr. Giuliani, in 2005 you were too busy to participate in formulating a way forward for the US in Iraq. Since then you have been shockingly vague about the issue of Iraq, saying that "It's not in our hands" and excluding it from your "12 points" campaign manifesto. Why should voters trust you on this issue, which they at least do seem to find important?"
"Mr. Giuliani, can you explain why, after terror hit NYC again in 2001, security and rescue personnel were still equipped with the same inadequate communication devices (i.e. walkie-talkies) which malfunctioned in 1993?"

[ September 14, 2007, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not vote for Giuliani. The man has a poor record on preserving freedoms (1st amendment, 2nd amendment, et. al.). He is a poor leader, and is not well thought of in New York City. Giuliani is simply playing off his perceived actions after 9/11. Frankly, I would probably vote for a Democrat candidate over Giuliani. That's saying a lot, because I am firmly against Universal Healthcare, and firmly for a victory in Iraq.
Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Frankly, I would probably vote for a Democrat candidate over Giuliani"

And if he were a Dem, I;d probably vote for a Rep over him.

TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Kents probably right. Once Guiliani finishes suspending all of our civil liberties and Ornery is shut down, we won't have any reason to fight anymore.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sampler
Member # 3996

- posted      Profile for Sampler   Email Sampler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least Giuliani didn't write the MCA, but then again, he never had the chance to.

I find it odd that KE said he'd rather have a McCain/Paul ticket. Why the mix of totalitarian-ass and libertarian?

I would vote for ANYONE over McCain.

McCain is the absolute worst, though it seems Giuliani is not that much better.

Posts: 422 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Kents probably right. Once Guiliani finishes suspending all of our civil liberties and Ornery is shut down, we won't have any reason to fight anymore.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it would certainly be a larger portion then Mr. Bush has united [Wink] And he's the uniter!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daruma28:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
Hey, it would unite the leftists and the right wingnuts in hate. [Smile]
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The anti-monarchists, too, but I guess I should just hush about that.

Reagan-Bush
Reagan-Bush
Clinton-Gore
Clinton-Gore
Bush-Cheney
Bush-Cheney
Clinton-_____
Clinton-______

Hey, what's wrong with being ruled by an aristocracy so long as we get a circus every four years?

No Republican will be as likely to keep us in Iraq for at least four years as she is, anyway, so if you're all for us staying, she's the canidate.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
err - didn't you lose a "Bush" in there somewhere?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnson
Member # 2385

- posted      Profile for johnson   Email johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a "Hillary-Laura" ticket, with Laura Bush? That would keep the aristocracy going. [LOL]

[ September 16, 2007, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: johnson ]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 3319

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really, REALLY hope that Giuliani is the Republican candidate.

He's the single best person to ensure that Hillary Clinton is elected president.

The only thing he talks about is security, and the man has no foriegn policy experience, ducked so many of his Iraq Study meetings that he had to leave the Commission, and was horribly inept at protecting New York City. New Yorkers didn't even like him by the end if his term there.

You can't just trash talk and stand on some rubble and expect that to get you by. Even Republicans want some substance to their candidates on some level when it comes to policy issues.

I think they'd have a better chance with Romney and McCain. The problem is that this year, none of the Republican candidates will draw Democrats over. Giuliani is the only real liberal, but compared to the top three Democrats, he's wholly unpalatable.

I think Obama is the best candidate of everyone running to actually succeed in uniting the nation, and at the very least I think he'll help bridge the gap.

Posts: 729 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:

Reagan-Bush
Reagan-Bush
Clinton-Gore
Clinton-Gore
Bush-Cheney
Bush-Cheney
Clinton-_____
Clinton-______

2016: Roosevelt-Kennedy?
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How about a "Hillary-Laura" ticket,
Dr. Laura could make that ticket really interesting. [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

How many people here know that Laura Bush killed her ex-boyfriend at age 17, shortly after he dumped her? And why charges weren't filed?

Context question: How many people have heard about the (utterly unproven) rumors that Hillary had Vince Foster killed?

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the "shortly after he dumped her" part utterly unproven as well?

snopes

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

Never heard about that. I heard about how Kennedy killed his girlfriend though ;-).
RickyB
Member # 1464

LoJ - read the link. Ok, unfounded that he dumped her. But definitely founded that they had been an item, but weren't anymore when the unfortunate accident happened.

OK, (some of) you guys are informed. Still, am I wrong about the levels of exposure?

Tommy - I don't think he killed her on purpose, but he should have faced a lot more than he did for his drunk driving which ended in a death. You or I would likely have done some time.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page