Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Favorite Web Sites?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite Web Sites?
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is so much information on the web that having a well-organized list of "Favorites" or "Bookmarks" is increasingly important. However, I sometimes feel like I want a website that categorizes the best websites I might want. Other times, I wish I could sift through a lot of other people's Favorites to see what I might be missing. To that end, I'd like to share some of my favorites that others here might find interesting, helpful, or enjoyable.

Please feel free to share your own lists of sites, and please do the following:
  • Share only websites you think others might want to keep LONG-TERM. Avoid fly-by-night links to specific, fleeting media or information.
  • Use the "URL" button to avoid sloppy code.
  • Describe the website clearly in your description.
Here are some of my favorites (sorry for the randomness):

[ October 13, 2007, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: drewmie ]

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pricewatch The best site I've found for computer component price comparison shopping.
Craigslist Easy to use, straightforward, free classifieds site. No annoying banner ads.

I second cnet.com for reviews. I think they have the best balance of conciseness and important details, and I think they are reasonably objective.

Experts Exchange Although the ads and site format kind of suck, I've found answers here I couldn't find anywhere else - for technical/software questions.

Mr. Excel If you're an Excel user and you want to use Excel better...this is the place. Lots of links to other good Excel sites too - they aren't trying to pretend they are the only source for good stuff. The forum is amazingly good. (Consultants help people for free [I assume they are trying to drum up business and establish/maintain their reputations.])

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, drewmie! Some good ones.

For fun, check out nasawatch.com, the unofficial-but-insider's NASA website.

And for one of the most robust public political forums, with several hundred thousand members, check out dailykos.com. Definitely left wing, but some actual substantiation from time to time.

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, nobody's got Ornery in their faves?

Law.com and Findlaw.com (more specifically the case code and US constitution.)

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

MapQuest of course.

Gmap-pedometer is a cool tool that lets you map out distances for running and bike routes manually (and lets you wander off road as you wish)

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly?

When I need to buy something, i simply key in what I wan t to buy into a search engine and start randomly picking links. But I don't have any shopping bookmarks other tan what came with Safari in the first place.

As for news, I added the RSS feed from my local paper, but again other than the defaults on Safari, I haven't added any links. I prefer to get my news from radio, actual print media, and TV- Cspan especially.

As for things that interest me personally, the only links I have added are to Hatrack and Disney World's season passholder pages. Hard as it may seem to believe, but I don't even have Ornery in my favorites.

When I find something on the web, I tend to create a PDF of the page and simply save it in my local documents.

As to where I do go on a frequent basis:

Apple
BBC
Ornery
Disney

Otherwise I don't have any favorites.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Project Gutenberg and WikiSource. Both are free online libraries which have the text to tens of thousands of books that have entered the public domain, and both have the stated objective of eventually providing every public domain title ever (although that's obviously a loooong way off as yet).
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slashdot: A nerd news site.

Home Star Runner: A humor site for nerds

Ornery A political site for nerds

Great Day Games: Mini games that also give you chances to win prizes (I won a $75 amazon gift card)

Did I mention I'm a nerd?

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Onelook.com - all the dictionary you'll ever need

Biblegateway.com - when you need to look up a passage.

Salon.com - best journalism from an admittedly biased source.

Memri.com - Middle East Media roundup and analysis. Rightwing in orientation, but serious, professional and largely trustworthy.

Slate.com - maybe the finest netzine there is.

NFL.com - best damn sports league site there is.

ESPN.com - they don't call it the worldwide leader for nothing.

profootball-reference.com - if it's about the NFL and ain't there, you know it's arcane [Smile]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tv-links

the order of the stick

just random entertainment.

edited: entertainment looked too short.

[ October 15, 2007, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: tonylovern ]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ornery.org
SCIFI.com
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary & Thesaurus
Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia
foxnews.com

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

I personally don't trust Wikipedia as far as I could throw it. Anyone could put any kind of bull on there and some person somwhere else will take it as gospel.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust, but verify. [Smile] A lot of the info on Wikipedia is very good. I'd be a lot more skeptical about anything that is politically or religiously charged, or in the news.

For instance, i was considering posting this on the article about Kevin Trudeau:

quote:
Kevin Trudeau is a stinky windbag of falsity. He should provide a full refund, to society, before someone brings the thunder to his abode. He should also clean hospitals. He should go into hospitals with his natural cures and administer them to his own face. His mega memory system should help him remember what a scum scraper he is. He sold hair farms; he should have sold stink farms. Kevin Trudeau is really Kevin Falsdeau. Do Ray Mi False So Bad Trudeau. If someone made pickled Trudeau, it would be the only thing not even the old ladies would try at Thanksgiving. Kevin Trudeau did one thing right: he gave Tammy Faye a place on television again. Other than that it's all wrong. The FDA should approve a cure for Kevin Trudeau. Herbal remedies should kick Kevin Trudeau in the shins for making them look bad. Kevin Trudeau's money smells like hippo toe jam. If Kevin Trudeau has a boat, every deck is a poop deck. Trudeau products are destroying the ozone - with their stench.
...because he's been in my face (OK, by this I mean on the occasional infomercial I watch for horror value) and everything I can find about him stinks to high heaven.

But it wouldn't have been a good encyclopedia article, to scouser1's point. [Smile]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WeAreAllJust LooseChange
Member # 3411

- posted      Profile for WeAreAllJust LooseChange         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DemocracyNow! - http://www.democracynow.org - the best site for news who are 100% (not like NPR) listener supported.
Don't gimme that "sponsored by Bank of America, who are committed to ...." NPR crap!!!

MyMoneyBlog - http://www.mymoneyblog.com/ - good finacial info for frugal people. Convinced me to switch to a 5% APR savings account with a brick-and-mortar bank - I was quite happy with the switch from my existing 0.5% APR savings acount [Smile] .

Bloomberg - www.bloomberg.com - I think they are a gem in the financial markets area.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good ones already linked.

xkcd.com For some funny, nerdy comics, updated consistently, oh, and occasionally references Ender's Game (comic #241 for instance).

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KonerAtHome
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for KonerAtHome   Email KonerAtHome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best page on the internet.

Ok maybe not but it sure is fun.

NFL.com
ESPN.com
Freep.com
yahoo.com

those are the ones I read the most.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koner, what's your take on this crazy season?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My top three:

Newsarama- geek-culture-comic-booky goodness

Penciljack- forum for comix artists and writers

Ornery- insular group of belligerant blowhards, strenuously pontificating on a never-ending series of trivial non-issues. (This one's my favorite)

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfallmann
Member # 2148

- posted      Profile for sfallmann   Email sfallmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.gamespy.com

www.gamespot.com

www.mmorpg.com

What can I say, I enjoy my games.

Posts: 396 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KonerAtHome
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for KonerAtHome   Email KonerAtHome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Koner, what's your take on this crazy season?
I'm a die hard Detroit Lions fan, so anytime they win I'm happy. Other than that the NFC sucks. I hate Dallas. Brett is the man. Adrian Peterson was a fantastic pick. Hester is wasted on the Bears. Tom Brady can lick the underside of my sweaty foot. New Orleans, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Joey Harrington has the worste luck possible. Tiki Barber is one incredibly smart guy (I never realized that while he was playing). Eli is nowhere near as good as Payton. Detroit needs to can the POS Matt Millen and get someone who realy knows how to manage a team to give that fantastic head coach Rod Marinelli some players to work with. Hmm I have lots of thoughts about this season.

Clearly the two best teams in the NFL are Indianapolis and New England. So the AFC comes down to those two and who wants it most when they face each other. The NFC is wide open because for the most part they all suck equally. I'm kinda leaning toward jumping on that Green Bay bandwagon though. That's one really talented YOUNG team. Whoever ends up representing the NFC come Super Bowl time is in for a serious ass whooping.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, tonylovern, TV-Links.co.uk was just raided by UK authorities and shut down. The site's creator was arrested.

No word yet on exactly what law they were breaking by linking to off-site material.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you WP. i just came here to say that the site hasnt worked for me in the last 12 hours, and ask if anyone knew why.

your precognitive abilities are amazing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

this blog is all i could find on it
scifibum
Member # 945

that blog is from almost a year ago...don't think it's related to the current situation.
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Google News.
The basics: TV Links shut down for linking from The Guardian

[ October 21, 2007, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

thank you again. i cant believe i didnt notice the dates on that. sorry
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the UK, the Nation that believes it's ok to re-copyright material that's been public domain for years. [Smile]

In terms of actually participating in the thread...

Legal free books, public domain

The best news source in the middle-east

Tips for keeping chameleons alive

CIA world fact book

GU Comics ... more MMORPG and general game humor

[ October 21, 2007, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

quote:
I personally don't trust Wikipedia as far as I could throw it. Anyone could put any kind of bull on there and some person somwhere else will take it as gospel.
ok, i just caught this, now i gotta look up her name.

edited: damn, nothing [Razz]

[ October 21, 2007, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: tonylovern ]

scouser1
unregistered

Oh hardy-har har!!
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

I'm mentioned on Wikipedia. I don't know who put me up there, either.
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://icanhascheezburger.com/

Cute cat and other animal pictures.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
http://icanhascheezburger.com/

Cute cat and other animal pictures.

This is supposed to be favorite web sites, not most annoying web sites...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

I forgot to mention - The Motley Fool. Best investing info out there.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page